Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

siblers wrote: »
    Porterhouse near Mike's takeaway is probably your best bet.

Nope, I used to work there. That place is lucky to have Guinness never mind craft beer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Unfortunately Kerry is a bit of a craft beer wasteland. The best you'll find on tap is Tom Crean's and that is just rebranded Tennants. There are a few good offies alright and a few places might sell a few bottles of O'Hara's. It's a shame people aren't willing to open their minds a bit more with decent beer IMHO, the quality is so much better than the Diageo swill.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Unfortunately Kerry is a bit of a craft beer wasteland. The best you'll find on tap is Tom Crean's and that is just rebranded Tennants. There are a few good offies alright and a few places might sell a few bottles of O'Hara's. It's a shame people aren't willing to open their minds a bit more with decent beer IMHO, the quality is so much better than the Diageo swill.

Seems to be a wasteland for jazz/blues also.:mad:

xxyyzz wrote: »

Yeah, I got into crafts about 6 months ago when I told my Dad I was bored with lager and he recommended Smithwicks Pale Ale. And I loved it. I have started trying more beers recently and most of them are going down nicely.

Some of the beers I've tried to date that are all available in Killarney are:

Smithwicks Pale Ale, Smithwicks Winter (limited edition), Donegal Blonde Ale, Dungarvan helvic gold, O' Haras Pale Ale, King Goblin special reserve 6.6% (a Swedish beer, strong but goes down easy), O' Haras Irish Red, IPA, and a Kinsale Pale.

Ones to try soon are: Bishops Finger, Smithwicks Long Summer (limited edition), Sierra Nevada and a range of stuff from Galway Bay brewery including "of foam and fury" which I haven't seen in town yet but I have a friend bringing them down when he visits.

I also went looking round town this eve and Courtneys is the only place for crafts and foreign beers. A lot of places have Smithwicks Pale but that's it.

Any recommendations on beers to get in the offy to try out??

Skidrow wrote: »

I've never heard of jazz or blues played anywhere in Killarney, sorry. Some good traditional bands playing the town if you like that music? Or good rock/pop bands in McSorleys bar and in the Grand but nothing jazz/blues related afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

dobman88 wrote: »
    Nope, I used to work there. That place is lucky to have Guinness never mind craft beer :pac:

Was in there about a month ago and they seemed to have O'haras and some other irish and german stuff that I didn't see around elsewhere but i'm a cider man so I wasn't paying much attention.

Choice of ciders in Killarney is pretty crappy too, was in Henesseys in Tralee sat night and they had a pretty superb selection of beers and ciders.

Does anywhere in Kerry play jazz/blues?

Yeah, I got into crafts about 6 months ago when I told my Dad I was bored with lager and he recommended Smithwicks Pale Ale. And I loved it. I have started trying more beers recently and most of them are going down nicely.

Some of the beers I've tried to date that are all available in Killarney are:

Smithwicks Pale Ale, Smithwicks Winter (limited edition), Donegal Blonde Ale, Dungarvan helvic gold, O' Haras Pale Ale, King Goblin special reserve 6.6% (a Swedish beer, strong but goes down easy), O' Haras Irish Red, IPA, and a Kinsale Pale.

Ones to try soon are: Bishops Finger, Smithwicks Long Summer (limited edition), Sierra Nevada and a range of stuff from Galway Bay brewery including "of foam and fury" which I haven't seen in town yet but I have a friend bringing them down when he visits.

I also went looking round town this eve and Courtneys is the only place for crafts and foreign beers. A lot of places have Smithwicks Pale but that's it.

Any recommendations on beers to get in the offy to try out??

Check out drinkstore.ie. It has the best selection of beers in the country IMHO.

Sierra Nevada is a good one to try to get started on American style pale ales. I particularly like Brewdog's punk IPA also. There are dozens of different pale ales out there at the moment, it's a very popular style. The American ones tend to be a lot more bitter than the Irish and English ones.

Brooklyn lager is very good for a Vienna style beer.

If you like German beers, Supervalue were selling Schneider weisse which is great stuff. Tap 5 would be my favourite style, but they are all good. Be warned, a bottle of it will put you on your arse.

If you like stouts, give Mikkeller's beer geek breakfast a try. It's made with coffee and oats and tastes like an espresso. You'll never go back to Guiness :D

There are hundreds of them out there, once you get sick of one you can move on to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,287 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Skidrow wrote: »

A musical monoculture of Come out you Black and Tan/Wagon Wheel/Sweet Home Alabama.

Keeps Macra and the hen parties happy I suppose.

A musical monoculture of Come out you Black and Tan/Wagon Wheel/Sweet Home Alabama.

A chill just went down my spine.

Beer-wise, my biggest let down was the so-called 'Porterhouse'....'Oh great, they're after opening up here'

'Oh.........crap'

• Advertisement

Beer-wise, my biggest let down was the so-called 'Porterhouse'....'Oh great, they're after opening up here'

'Oh.........crap'

Yeah, I only heard about THE Porterhouse after that one in town opened.

I guess I will have to suffer through Courtneys for the crafts.

I guess I will have to suffer through Courtneys for the crafts.

Don't forget your earplugs so.

Don't forget your earplugs so.

If your username implies you enjoy whiskey, the Malton have an extensive range in their bar now. They have trained some staff on the finer points of whiskey tasting too. May or may not be of interest to you.

Haven't been in there drinking since it was the GS Hotel, good to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Hey can anyone tell me anything
    about killarney castle on mill road?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I could try get a summer job? I need to save money for college after the leaving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

xLisaBx wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions as to where I could try get a summer job? I need to save money for college after the leaving!

Danny mann are looking for food & bev staff, tbh most hotels in killarney would...any experience??

Danny mann are looking for food & bev staff, tbh most hotels in killarney would...any experience??

No experience at all, couldn't really work all year with studying. Was thinking Easons but don't know how I'd go about applying

No experience at all, couldn't really work all year with studying. Was thinking Easons but don't know how I'd go about applying

hotels would be hiring this time of year, for the summer only...tbh l reckon Eason's would be more so looking for people full time, ya they might that on a student but you would have a greater chance of getting a job in a hotel...

hotels would be hiring this time of year, for the summer only...tbh l reckon Eason's would be more so looking for people full time, ya they might that on a student but you would have a greater chance of getting a job in a hotel...
    I'll send out the CVs next week to the hotels, thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

I'll send out the CVs next week to the hotels, thanks for the advice

I work in the malton and they hire loads of students for summer work. It might only start as weddings and banquets but the hotel is so busy you will end up getting full time. Also, when you go back to school they will keep you on at weekends if you're any good.

Get your CV into every hotel in town. All hotels are crying out for students, regardless of experience. Just remember there are 100's of students doing the same :) good luck

Haven't been in there drinking since it was the GS Hotel, good to know that.

Yeah, I took a whiskey delivery today. That's what made me think of it.

They started on the whiskey when they opened the Wine Rooms but it didn't work well as a mix. So instead they renovated and extended the bar and dedicated a whole area to whiskeys. Very popular with the American visitors. It really is a huge selection, more than enough to get nicely toasted :)

I work in the malton and they hire loads of students for summer work. It might only start as weddings and banquets but the hotel is so busy you will end up getting full time. Also, when you go back to school they will keep you on at weekends if you're any good.

Get your CV into every hotel in town. All hotels are crying out for students, regardless of experience. Just remember there are 100's of students doing the same :) good luck
    Thank you :) how did you hand in your cv? Like who to address it to and hand it to etc?

Thank you :) how did you hand in your cv? Like who to address it to and hand it to etc?

I didn't hand in a CV, they approached me to offer me a job :) but you can drop a CV into reception addressed to Kathleen Cronin, HR Manager.

Is it a tough place to work? I can imagine it being crazy busy....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Dealz are taking CV's but make sure you speak to a manager and give off a good impression, make them remember you, or it will be binned.

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Dealz are taking CV's but make sure you speak to a manager and give off a good impression, make them remember you, or it will be binned.
    Ok thank you I will :)

Yeah it's tough at the start. But once you get the run of the place it's easy. There is a system in place for absolutely everything so it just takes a little time and concentration to learn them.

And yeah, crazy busy. Open 12 months a year so that says it all really.

Yeah it's tough at the start. But once you get the run of the place it's easy. There is a system in place for absolutely everything so it just takes a little time and concentration to learn them.

And yeah, crazy busy. Open 12 months a year so that says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Anyone know anything about the Flesk Castle?

Advertisement