Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭dobman88

mirrors wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the Flesk Castle?

Would be quite hard tk find if you dont know the area but it is fantastic. Wouldn't recommend going inside cos its pretty unstable. Have a look at the map in the link, any questions. Just ask :)

http://www.myfishmaps.com/intl-fishing-maps/Ireland/fishing-Man-Made_Structure0_Outpost/Castle/Kerry/Flesk_Castle/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'd say the library would be the place to start.

Visited it when in school but can't remember anything about it.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'd say the library would be the place to start.

Visited it when in school but can't remember anything about it.

Why would you start in the library? Surely going to see it then reading about it would make sense??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

dobman88 wrote: »
    Why would you start in the library? Surely going to see it then reading about it would make sense??

Why would that make sense? :confused:

If you're going to visit somewhere maybe going on hols, do you go there first and then come home and read all about it ?

Radio5 wrote: »
    Why would that make sense? :confused:

If you're going to visit somewhere maybe going on hols, do you go there first and then come home and read all about it ?

Yeah I visit places first and do more research if I enjoy them. Different strokes I guess. I only questioned starting in the library because all the info is in the link above and woukd save the person a trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

I visited already I would just like to know some history about it like when it was built and which settlers built it and other info like that. Anyone know any other castles or ancient buildings to visit around killarney?
    Excluding Ross castle, muckross.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah I visit places first and do more research if I enjoy them. Different strokes I guess. I only questioned starting in the library because all the info is in the link above and woukd save the person a trip.

I thought it was only a map and hadn't actually clicked on the link.

I had assumed the person had actually been to see Flesk Castle already.

Assumption - the mother of all feckups

I visited already I would just like to know some history about it like when it was built and which settlers built it and other info like that. Anyone know any other castles or ancient buildings to visit around killarney?

Have you been out to Inisfallen island?

Struggling to think of other places that fit the bill at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

It sounds like you would enjoy a visit to Innisfallen Island. I was only there for the annual mass myself, but beautiful island with some interesting history. Have a read of this & this :) . You could get the boat from Ross Castle!

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

Walking past the new soon to be Easons today and the signs up say: Killarney bookshop is getting bigger. For anyone wanting to hand in a CV. Killarney bookshop id your best bet I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Also known as Coltsmann's Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Also known as Coltsmann's Castle.

What else do you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

What else do you know

Join the Killarney Down Memory Lane Facebook page, someone recently put up loads of the history of the castle and loads of old pics. It's not particularly old (think 17th C) but note it is on private land, and entering is trespassing, there have been a few accidents there in the last decade as it's not stable. And the mill at the bottom of the hill is not attached to the castle.. Although rumours of an underground passage between the two always existed... However I've never found it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

We arrived in Killarney to do some cycling not realising that the rally was on but it didn't take long for the penny to drop, we heard them before we saw them, vroom vroom, that noise will be ingrained in my mind for weeks, i had a headache from hearing it for the best part of 2 days.
    We had booked into a B+B on the muckross road for 2 nights and last night was a nightmare, our room surrounded by skangers and they behaved like what they are, more or less til dawn and beyond, the manager spoke to them, but to no avail, why he didn't call the guards i don't know or maybe he did but it had no effect.
    We went for a cycle today and upon returning they were still there, so we decided to bail out, another night like last night we could not take, even though at reception we were informed they were leaving the general atmosphere around the town didn't help the situation, the sight of them, some barely able to see over their steering wheels was vile, dumping their rubbish where ever they like and generally being eyesores around the town, it's not often i'm happy to get out of Killarney but we couldn't get out of it fast enough today. We'll definitely be back, but not on the may bank holiday next year.

Just back from Killarney after completing the Cycle against suicide Cork to Killarney 3rd stage, i found it quite enough in the town but the receptionist in the hotel said they are fully booked out for the weekend with the rally taking place, she is dreading it and is looking forward to Tuesday!! hopefully it won't be too stressful for the locals, earplugs at the ready folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just back from Killarlam, noieney after completing the Cycle against suicide Cork to Killarney 3rd stage, i found it quite enough in the town but the receptionist in the hotel said they are fully booked out for the weekend with the rally taking place, she is dreading it and is looking forward to Tuesday!! hopefully it won't be too stressful for the locals, earplugs at the ready folks.

last year i did not realise it was on and came back through killarney sunday afternoon..bedlam of noise and stench. not going near this year

Just back from Killarney after completing the Cycle against suicide Cork to Killarney 3rd stage, i found it quite enough in the town but the receptionist in the hotel said they are fully booked out for the weekend with the rally taking place, she is dreading it and is looking forward to Tuesday!! hopefully it won't be too stressful for the locals, earplugs at the ready folks.

Worst weekend of the year for the locals. Nothing but noise and scumbags all weekend.

It's a shame because the people who actually come to follow the rally are a huge asset to the town but a small few always ruin the fun. Bring on the bikers!! That's a cracking weekend of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Just seen a pack of the numpties, outside on the pike hill. Looks like they were convoying when one of the fellas in the middle of it rear ended the car in front! That made me smile.....just a little. :D Now to board up all me doors till Tuesday!!!

madcabbage wrote: »
    Just seen a pack of the numpties, outside on the pike hill. Looks like they were convoying when one of the fellas in the middle of it rear ended the car in front! That made me smile.....just a little. :D Now to board up all me doors till Tuesday!!!

The good news is there does seem to be a lot of Guards around. Saw a rake of them around today.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The good news is there does seem to be a lot of Guards around. Saw a rake of them around today.

I was speaking to 2 Garda on Wednesday and they said they were preparing for a very big presence and would be closing off random routes at random times to keep the speed down and basically disrupt all the driving.

Not ideal for locals but we should have enough sense to walk places at this stage for the weekend :pac: Good idea by the Garda imo.

Also I'm so happy I don't work in a certain nightclub anymore. I am at home, feet up, cup of tea. Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

A dreaded weekend for people in tourism as well.

Many probably think we love it as we can make a lot of money but as it is a bank holiday it would be busy in Killarney anyway.

Thankfully I have the place full of French tourists so only 2 guys who are petrol heads with their supped up cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Myself and the family are bailing out of town for a few days,i'm not an angry person,but these clowns would test anyones patience :mad:

Myself and the family are bailing out of town for a few days,i'm not an angry person,but these clowns would test anyones patience :mad:

wise man indeed. living off my stores out here too, well away from the bedlam. have a good break :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have family visiting (not for the rally!) so unfortunately have to go to Killarney for 2 days. On the way down now. Usually I try to avoid home when the rally is on! Bleugh

was outside gardening this afternoon and the noise even here was loud. glad i had heard about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Simply Priceless on the Park Road lastnight!

I doubt when the Gardaí were going through their training in Templemore they dreamt of a May Bank Holiday w/end; on-duty in one of the biggest Tourist Towns that is Killarney & having to babysit boy-racers with their noise buckets!
    Just bloody brilliant lastnight with the minding and patrolling the youngsters were getting by the boys in blue!

Seemed to be extra working lastnight. Alot of high-visibility work so Fair Play to all involved with that.

Headed into work this morning for my 8-hour shift on only 1-hours sleep, but some Random Acts of Kindness from people at work (see here) got me through with smiles.

Hoping tonight goes well for all working in ES! Headache aplenty ahead I'd imagine, but the work done lastnight was appreciated by me anywhoo :)

Thanking all Involved,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 31 shane_318is

Just seen a bottle being thrown through a window of a garda car dont think all the extra guards done any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Wonder why this rally is allowed year after year..Has anyone ever objected to it.. Or do we just have to put up with it.
    If the rally is to continue. Maybe the Gleneagle should host it like it host the hog rally...keeping all rally drivers and followers in its grounds.. Complete with entertainment food and bars etc..and out of the town centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Wonder why this rally is allowed year after year..Has anyone ever objected to it.. Or do we just have to put up with it.
    If the rally is to continue. Maybe the Gleneagle should host it like it host the hog rally...keeping all rally drivers and followers in its grounds.. Complete with entertainment food and bars etc..and out of the town centre.

The gleneagle does actually do that, but the genuine rally followers are not the ones causing the trouble.

• Advertisement

they were out here soon after 7 am but thankful don't live in killarney after last night ...hooligans with money to burn

Advertisement