Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Wonder why this rally is allowed year after year..Has anyone ever objected to it.. Or do we just have to put up with it.
    If the rally is to continue. Maybe the Gleneagle should host it like it host the hog rally...keeping all rally drivers and followers in its grounds.. Complete with entertainment food and bars etc..and out of the town centre.

They do for the food side, not sure on music though. These bunch of brain dead twits just want to drive around making noise and sit around the filling stations looking like they know what they're doing.

Topaz in the Park Rd was a joke last night, they're must have been 20+ cars in there after 11pm and most of donkeys were sitting on the wall watching cars drive by!

Sad state of affairs when the majority of the town has to either go into hiding or leave for the weekend, I can't even go up Molls or out the Cork road on the bike because of them!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

A special sitting of the courts in Cork today apparently.

Remember folks to mention the nuisance of the rally when the politicians come canvassing for the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    A special sitting of the courts in Cork today apparently.

Remember folks to mention the nuisance of the rally when the politicians come canvassing for the locals.

I'm guessing this is at Glenfesk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4KKKdOk_cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Englishbiker

From Dalys Supervalue out towards Glenflesk direction around 11.30 last night was like a bunch of first time drivers let on the loose! nearly got sandwiched by some yob who turned out in front of me then decided to come to a complete stop !

WATCH OUT FELLOW BIKERS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

The gleneagle does actually do that, but the genuine rally followers are not the ones causing the trouble.

Yes its not the rally per se, the rally drivers and the genuine rally fans that are the problem. Its the Boy Racer Posse that turn up to have their own rally on the public roads thats the issue.

And its not just a Killarney town issue. I know the roads out of Killarney have been used as racetracks at all hours of the night during the weekend, not just to main Cork Road through Glenflesk to the County Bounds which is mentioned in that report but also the N72 Mallow Road out towards Rathmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

mirrors wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the Flesk Castle?
    A most fascinating place!

I found this in the local library when I was doing some research on it a few years ago:
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php?file_id=02348019264788115676&t=0234801926478811567622021

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Radio5 wrote: »
    Yes its not the rally per se, the rally drivers and the genuine rally fans that are the problem. Its the Boy Racer Posse that turn up to have their own rally on the public roads thats the issue.

And its not just a Killarney town issue. I know the roads out of Killarney have been used as racetracks at all hours of the night during the weekend, not just to main Cork Road through Glenflesk to the County Bounds which is mentioned in that report but also the N72 Mallow Road out towards Rathmore.

same out here; between molls gap and sneem each night

Radio5 wrote: »

could they not let these boys loose in for example a race track...confined space where they could do as they like without this chaos to the local area..

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Flesk Castle: A most fascinating place!

I found this in the local library when I was doing some research on it a few years ago.

Really excellent article! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Came across this on FB, "Rings of kerry" almost 500 likes...twats

1922519_652687714805105_449285786359258066_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭chalkie 501

Just back from my escape from the madness, spent a few lovely days in beautiful west cork...had forgotten completely about the rally...until i got a few miles from town....good god the rubbish,it was everywhere...
    excellent point made earlier by another poster regarding putting it to the local councillors,any candidate thats in favour of getting rid of the rally or doing something about the arseholes that create all this havoc is going to get my vote

Just back from my escape from the madness, spent a few lovely days in beautiful west cork...had forgotten completely about the rally...until i got a few miles from town....good god the rubbish,it was everywhere...
    excellent point made earlier by another poster regarding putting it to the local councillors,any candidate thats in favour of getting rid of the rally or doing something about the arseholes that create all this havoc is going to get my vote

that is so disheartening so soon after the wonderful clean up effort. the volunteers who worked so hard must feel they have been kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

According to one local councillor on Facebook replying to a comment regarding the rally. this subject has been under debate for years and will be again.
    They are bigger powers I feel in control here. Money being one of them.
    How can Failte Ireland back this event.. Beyond me at this stage..
    I do feel for the genuine supporter. Because of others anti social behaviour they suffer also..a lot of followers now choosing not to come to Killarney. leaving it to boy racers instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Is it deemed safe to go outside again?...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Headed to Dingle last night as there was no way I was gonna head out in Killarney. I'd say it couldn't have been anymore opposite than Killarney during the May bank holiday. So chilled and friendly back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Heading to Killarney in 2 weeks, will be in the town from Monday to thurs. GF and myself going, we're going to do the Ring of Kerry, I love motorsport, anything worth a look at down there car related? Or any nice little place to eat, we both in 30s and like pubs and eating out.
    Where are the places people like to go our age in Killarney and surrounding areas?

According to one local councillor on Facebook replying to a comment regarding the rally. this subject has been under debate for years and will be again.
    They are bigger powers I feel in control here. Money being one of them.
    How can Failte Ireland back this event.. Beyond me at this stage..
    I do feel for the genuine supporter. Because of others anti social behaviour they suffer also..a lot of followers now choosing not to come to Killarney. leaving it to boy racers instead..

money will always shout loudest, and no election candidate will go against that..

they will fudge with eg under debate..

a lot of local businesses make a huge amount from these events and pay not to the costs of policing

abceire wrote: »
    Heading to Killarney in 2 weeks, will be in the town from Monday to thurs. GF and myself going, we're going to do the Ring of Kerry, I love motorsport, anything worth a look at down there car related? Or any nice little place to eat, we both in 30s and like pubs and eating out.
    Where are the places people like to go our age in Killarney and surrounding areas?

maybe not a good time to mention motorsport....see this thread!

abceire wrote: »

Pub wise, The Grand, Scruffys, The Kube, Failte, McSorelys Bar would all have an older crowd. I can't think of anything car related though(you just missed the rally of the lakes :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Hi thank your but I can't open this file. Does anyone know how to open .tif files on a mobile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Hi thank your but I can't open this file. Does anyone know how to open .tif files on a mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

mirrors wrote: »

You're better off just viewing it on your computer. Even if you can open it, the size probably isn't going to scale down to a small screen very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

siblers wrote: »
    Pub wise, The Grand, Scruffys, The Kube, Failte, McSorelys Bar would all have an older crowd. I can't think of anything car related though(you just missed the rally of the lakes :P)

I'm in my early 20's and drink in all those places :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

What about Scotts. Or Courtney's bar. The lane bar....Porterhouse to eat. And a relaxing drink..too be honest Killarney has a lot of bars to choose from ..

PLL wrote: »
    I'm in my early 20's and drink in all those places :confused:
    Well they have a decent mix I guess, Mustangs and The Plaza are the only places that seem to have a young crowd in them. I do find Scruffys and the Krypt to have an older crowd though.

What about Scotts. Or Courtney's bar. The lane bar....Porterhouse to eat. And a relaxing drink..too be honest Killarney has a lot of bars to choose from ..

the smallest village in ireland has a lot of bars to choose from ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Graces7 wrote: »
    money will always shout loudest, and no election candidate will go against that..

they will fudge with eg under debate..

a lot of local businesses make a huge amount from these events and pay not to the costs of policing

The thing is that everyone knows the crowd that come with the rally are very poor spenders - the businesses that make the most out of them are probably the petrol stations and the fast food joints. Beyond that I would say a lot of local businesses make a lot less than unusual for a bank holiday.

I was talking to a jarvey yesterday and he was saying they were very quiet due to the nature of the crowd - really wouldnt be surprised if that was the case in a lot of other Killarney businesses.

Even in terms of pubs/bars i'd imagine a serious fraction of those who come with the rally are of an age profile to be buying cans in the supermarket (if they are drinking) and pre-drinking before heading out to bars, so while the bars are busy I find it hard to see it as massively profitable for bars.

In terms of accommodation spend, I'd imagine it would be the case that a lot of hotels and B&Bs would prefer an older clientele who are less hassle - I'm sure everyone has heard/seen lads who sleep in their cars for the night.

How many people leave the town or avoid visiting the weekend the rally is on ?

I really think the town would be a lot before off economically by getting rid of the rally and replacing it with a better/more profitable event on the bank holiday weekend and get rid of the anti-social behaviour.

Get rid of the rally and let the decent spending tourists and locals enjoy the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,287 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Graces7 wrote: »
    that is so disheartening so soon after the wonderful clean up effort. the volunteers who worked so hard must feel they have been kicked.

Noticed a whole load of crap ranging from bottles/cans/beer boxes and red/white stripy site tape strewn along the Macroom road from our fine young rally fans, not to mention the ubiquitous tyre circles. Advance pitstop must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The thing is that everyone knows the crowd that come with the rally are very poor spenders - the businesses that make the most out of them are probably the petrol stations and the fast food joints. Beyond that I would say a lot of local businesses make a lot less than unusual for a bank holiday.

I was talking to a jarvey yesterday and he was saying they were very quiet due to the nature of the crowd - really wouldnt be surprised if that was the case in a lot of other Killarney businesses.

Even in terms of pubs/bars i'd imagine a serious fraction of those who come with the rally are of an age profile to be buying cans in the supermarket (if they are drinking) and pre-drinking before heading out to bars, so while the bars are busy I find it hard to see it as massively profitable for bars.

In terms of accommodation spend, I'd imagine it would be the case that a lot of hotels and B&Bs would prefer an older clientele who are less hassle - I'm sure everyone has heard/seen lads who sleep in their cars for the night.

How many people leave the town or avoid visiting the weekend the rally is on ?

I really think the town would be a lot before off economically by getting rid of the rally and replacing it with a better/more profitable event on the bank holiday weekend and get rid of the anti-social behaviour.

Get rid of the rally and let the decent spending tourists and locals enjoy the town.
    60,000 visitors is still going to bring a lot of money, cans in supermarket, the supermarket is a business, the fast food places are a business, the petrol stations are a business. It's a pity they can't just get maybe a load of the real non wally rally fans to police the others, shame them into copping on, something like video it and send it to police with reg plates.
    At the end of that day though , some rubbish on the ground and black marks on a road. It's not exactly the hell we might think it is.

• Advertisement

It's never going to be black and white, get rid of rally and you'll have less income and the fans won't be impressed.
    Keep it and you'll always have a wally element of some degree, I do like rallying myself but really just watch it on tv, but I know a lot of good respectful rally fans and they dislike the wally element as much as anyone else on here.

Advertisement