Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a pickle with flatmate

Options
  • 19-11-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Rented an apartment. Paying loads for my double room, got a flatmate for the other double, theyre paying less. Were getting on really well, then 6 weeks ago she got a boyfriend. he's over 24/7, no joke. Said it to her to cut it down drastically or find somewhere else, after 2 weeks of it. Now a month after I said something to her nothing has changed. In fact its worse.
    Had no couples on the ad originally aswell!!
    Question: Does she deserve notice? Does she get her deposit back? How do I kick her out as quickly as possible...I'm physically and emotionally drained!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

jetlagged wrote: »
    Rented an apartment. Paying loads for my double room, got a flatmate for the other double, theyre paying less. Were getting on really well, then 6 weeks ago she got a boyfriend. he's over 24/7, no joke. Said it to her to cut it down drastically or find somewhere else, after 2 weeks of it. Now a month after I said something to her nothing has changed. In fact its worse.
    Had no couples on the ad originally aswell!!
    Question: Does she deserve notice? Does she get her deposit back? How do I kick her out as quickly as possible...I'm physically and emotionally drained!!

When they are out change the lock on the door. When they get back ask them where they want their belongings sent. Hand back the deposit when they take their belongings out.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

I would say as you advertised it as no couples she doesnt deserve any notice as shes broken the terms of the rental- give her a week to find elsewhere shes taking you for a ride get rid!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

Feels awful to have to do it to her, but fact is yes I am being taken for a ride, amazing how we were getting on so well previous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 TheDublinMan

Give her 2weeks to find somewhere. State the no-couples rule and tell her the boyfriend isn't allowed in for the remainder of her time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look up the rules on subletting. If you own the apartment, you could kick them out with no notice, but as you're subletting, I'd say the rules are different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just for clarity, have you rented the whole apartment off the landlord and sub-let a room?

Don't do anything harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Feels awful to have to do it to her, but fact is yes I am being taken for a ride, amazing how we were getting on so well previous.

maybe she had a cruch on you, hence getting on so well and you inadvertently turned her down, thus, she gets a fella to make your life miserable to pay for rejecting her!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Why not sit down with her and talk it out - explain how it is affecting you and say it must be cleared in two weeks or she has to go.

She IS taking you for a ride by the way.

In general the tenenancy terms should be made very clear at the outset - and if issues arise should be addressed immediately.

Biggest mistake is to let them linger...much more difficult in the long run.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I'd give two weeks notice. It's not that long. If you'd done it after she ignored your warning she'd already be gone.

Why wouldn't she get the deposit back? Unless there are unpaid bills, or rent owing, or damage, then yes she should get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

You are not her landlord so you are not entitled to kick her out without notice and withhold her deposit unless there is a reason to do so.

You need to give her reasonable notice - if she paid a months deposit then its a months notice. If you try to change the locks or kick her out without notice you could be in trouble.

I would say give her a months notice and start looking for someone else ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Hi OP,

I posted a thread on PI a few weeks ago re this. I had a nightmare housemate - well, tennent, but I dont really think of it that way. It was the same situation except her bf was coming over at 3am every day and then she was doing a Debbie does Dallas till all hours and it was driving us crazy as we were getting no sleep She was incredibly stroppy and just plain old hard to deal with at times. The final straw was when she told me she was opening up a nail salon.......in my kitchen!

Well, shes gone now - suppose I really ought to update PI after all the gumption they encouraged with :) - and the house is fa ar calmer place to live in. Im just going to leave the room free for the moment as I dont want the hassle of finding someone sane, employed and justgenerallynotanutcase before Christmas.

Its selfish and inconsiderate, but unless you do something about it, she will certainly carry on and get worse. Eventually you will feel marginalised in your own home. I agree with the sit down and talk to her - but know form my own experience this prolly wont work given that she doesnt give a fig about your space, so maybe just say say its not working for you and if they are togeather that much, maybe its time they found their own place.

Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Deepsense wrote: »
    I agree with the sit down and talk to her - but know form my own experience this prolly wont work given that she doesnt give a fig about your space, so maybe just say say its not working for you and if they are togeather that much, maybe its time they found their own place.

Good luck!

Yes - probably won't work - but has to be done to make sure there is no ambiguity - also gives you the strength of being upfront and fair.

Good suggestion that as they are so much together etc......nice one. !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Agreed. I hate confrontation and do my damdest to avoid it. :o But it had to be done so I just ploughed on through even though I was felt ill with the stress of it. Also, he was 43 and she was 21 - that turned my stomach enough without the additional nonsense.

Anyone need a double room? :D

Edit - besides the OPs housemate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Why not sit down with her and talk it out - explain how it is affecting you and say it must be cleared in two weeks or she has to go.

She IS taking you for a ride by the way.

In general the tenenancy terms should be made very clear at the outset - and if issues arise should be addressed immediately.

Biggest mistake is to let them linger...much more difficult in the long run.

Good luck with it

^---- Do this

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

Thanks for the replies, just to update. I told her that she had to be evicted and this couldnt go on, she told me that was fine and she was looking for a place, even though every night herself and the fella were curled up. So I set a deadline date with her, I'm praying she sticks to it. When I queried why she hadnt taken my living with couples quam a month ago seriously and that she was taking the piss, she said oh I'm not there at the weekends! Its like she doesnt grasp the nature of the problem...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

When I queried why she hadnt taken my living with couples quam a month ago seriously and that she was taking the piss, she said oh I'm not there at the weekends! Its like she doesnt grasp the nature of the problem...:rolleyes:
    Human nature ....people will keep pushing the boundaries if you let them. Sad but true.
    @AARRRGH: Did you take action on your own situation that time and if so, how did it go?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks for the replies, just to update. I told her that she had to be evicted and this couldnt go on, she told me that was fine and she was looking for a place, even though every night herself and the fella were curled up. So I set a deadline date with her, I'm praying she sticks to it. When I queried why she hadnt taken my living with couples quam a month ago seriously and that she was taking the piss, she said oh I'm not there at the weekends! Its like she doesnt grasp the nature of the problem...:rolleyes:
    Have you put it in writing?

Advertisement