Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Coombe, Patrick Street, Nicholas Street area?

Options
  • 19-11-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, recently moved to Dublin so was looking at a few places around there. Have to take the Red line Luas to work in the morning's & evening's so is the walk between say St.James & Christchurch ok??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OK folks - Please read the charter. Any decent into the usual generalisations and this will be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I live very close by, completely safe and has the highest number of off licences per km2 in the country:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You walk it in about 30 mins, along by Cornmarket, onto Thomas St and then down onto James St. Area is fine, live just down the road and have for the past 18 years and it's grand.

Wouldn't be walking the back roads around Guinness especially Grand Canal Place. And do add to arse..biscuits post, has probably the most pubs per km2 in the country.:D

Any more questions just ask, I'm the resident Dublin 8 "er" on here.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok, well my only concern for this area is the amount of junkies on the streets.

More so than anywhere else in Dublin city, this area is crawling with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

A friend of mine moved to Thomas street a few weeks ago, pretty nasty she says. Finds junkies asleep in her doorway when she comes down in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's a homeless hostel just at christchurch and some sort of methadone centre in meath street so yeah,there's alot of junkies around.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i used to live just off meath street and i absolutely loved it.

I felt really safe there and there was loads of bargains to be got everywhere, its walkable from town

its brilliant - i would move back there tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'm always around the area.

Had one or two run ins late at night. As mentioned, there's quite a few junkies about - There's 2 hostel's, a needle & methadone clinic and a rehab-esque type place off Thomas St.

Is a very handy place to live, plenty of public transport, off licenses, pubs, a good few cafe's, some handy places for shopping - From lidl to the the markets along Meath St, and plenty of art galleries.

As said, don't be hanging about the... lovely... back alley's and you'll be doing just right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I was born and reared around the area and still visit it as often as I can. It is no worse or better than any other other area of Dublin I have lived in and as mentioned above, it has many things in it's favour. As long as you take sensible precautions you should be fine. This applies to all parts of this city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

The Four Courts Luas stop may be nearer to you if you're in Christchurch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I live very close by, completely safe and has the highest number of off licences per km2 in the country:)
    and sadly from my time working in the area, probably the highest number of disgarded needles too.

Do expect to see things which may shock you if you havent been exposed to them before in other cities/other parts of dublin, for example open drug dealing and taking of said drugs. And that was all during the day, never really been in the area at night.

Having said all that i never had a minutes trouble in the area at all and that included having to go down those back alleys etc.

I'll relate a funny story (funny because I pitied the idiot for ignoring good advice)..

A friend called over to visit me about four years ago, he had just been discharged from the US army (or marines). He's spent 15 months in Baghdad and survived.

He was staying in Kinlay Hostel on Lord Edward St.

Within his first hour in Dublin he wanted to go for a jog, I pointed up towards said area's and told him to avoid 'em as there's nothing to see and he ''looks American'' (soft and an invite for trouble).

He ignored my advice, and went up Thomas St and got mugged of his wallet and iPod.

I've a lot of friends from the area, I worked on Fishamble St for four years too, and honestly OP although I'd agree that its an area convenient for service's its festered with street junkies.

Mairt wrote: »
    I'll relate a funny story (funny because I pitied the idiot for ignoring good advice)..

A friend called over to visit me about four years ago, he had just been discharged from the US army (or marines). He's spent 15 months in Baghdad and survived.

He was staying in Kinlay Hostel on Lord Edward St.

Within his first hour in Dublin he wanted to go for a jog, I pointed up towards said area's and told him to avoid 'em as there's nothing to see and he ''looks American'' (soft and an invite for trouble).

He ignored my advice, and went up Thomas St and got mugged of his wallet and iPod.

I've a lot of friends from the area, I worked on Fishamble St for four years too, and honestly OP although I'd agree that its an area convenient for service's its festered with street junkies.

I've walked home from Heuston Station umteen times, up Steevens Lane, down James's St, onto Thomas St, then down by Thomas Court down through Pimlico and beyond between 2pm and 2am and I've never had an word shouted at me, even walking past a group of 10 or so lads on occassions.

I'm sure someone will back me up in saying that Thomas Court is a tad dodgy at 2am on a Friday night, with lanes on either side and a pitch black park (which Wish posted a picture of before).

I've walked home from Heuston Station umteen times, up Steevens Lane, down James's St, onto Thomas St, then down by Thomas Court down through Pimlico and beyond between 2pm and 2am and I've never had an word shouted at me, even walking past a group of 10 or so lads on occassions.

I'm sure someone will back me up in saying that Thomas Court is a tad dodgy at 2am on a Friday night, with lanes on either side and a pitch black park (which Wish posted a picture of before).

I've never had a bother in Dublin 8 either, but thats not the point.

You can't deny that the place is festered with junkies, who make it generally an unpleasent environment. The only other place I've seen with probably more junkies is up on Custom house quay, Georges quay and Butt bridge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i think i must walk around with my eyes closed. i never seen a junkie, a drug deal or a discarded needle in the year i lived there.

One of the neighbours got robbed but anothre neighbour seen it happend and he got all his stuff back within an hour!!

i guess you only see what you want to see, i obviously only want to see the pretty things :D

I've never had a bother in Dublin 8 either, but thats not the point.

You can't deny that the place is festered with junkies, who make it generally an unpleasent environment. The only other place I've seen with probably more junkies is up on Custom house quay, Georges quay and Butt bridge.

Grand there's junkies around, I was just pointing out I've never had a problem.
    i think i must walk around with my eyes closed. i never seen a junkie, a drug deal or a discarded needle in the year i lived there.

One of the neighbours got robbed but anothre neighbour seen it happend and he got all his stuff back within an hour!!

i guess you only see what you want to see, i obviously only want to see the pretty things :D

Ye you must. I've seen all three many a time, saying that not as often as I used to.

I've never encountered any problems in Dublin 8. The only places that I see addicts in Dublin 8 is in the Wood Quay/Winetavern Street/St Michael's Hill area and even then, I never found them to be intimidating.

Anyway folks, I don't want this to turn into a pro-anti Dublin 8 thread.

I've never encountered any problems in Dublin 8. The only places that I see addicts in Dublin 8 is in the Wood Quay/Winetavern Street/St Michael's Hill area and even then, I never found them to be intimidating.

The plus side of Dublin 8 has been acknowledged, but there's no denying that Dub8 has a significant drug problem.

Well that's to do with the Methadone clinic on Winetavern St tbh.
    The plus side of Dublin 8 has been acknowledged, but there's no denying that Dub8 has a significant drug problem.

Like every part of Dublin tbh.

Like every part of Dublin tbh.

Well actually its not.

But at the risk of offending you, which isn't my intention, but an 18yr old see's the world a little differently than I do.

To answer the OP's question (again).. The walk from Christchurch to St.James is ok, maybe 20-30 minutes. There's cheap shopping along Thomas St, if that grabs your interest.

Is it a safe walk, I'd say 'best keep your wits about you. And anyone who advises otherwise is living in la-la land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Is it a safe walk, I'd say 'best keep your wits about you. And anyone who advises otherwise is living in la-la land.

Couldn't agree with you more here. OP, keep your wits about you, a bit of common sense, and you'll do just fine.

Jaysis, you must have had your eyes closed!!! Any time I go for a stroll in the area, I always see more than a few syringes, packets of citric acid or some other discarded reminder, never mind the junkies about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I advise otherwise and I'm not living in la-la land, I'm living in the area in question. I've never once felt intimidated in or around Thomas St, Meath St, Bridgefoot St. etc. Yes you will see junkies but they won't say a word to you. I'm male, 28 and 6 foot but my gf is quite small and from "the country", she would say the exact same thing, never asks me to walk her back from college at 9.30pm, she'll walk Meath St, Thomas St on her own and has never had a single problem, nothing.

I advise otherwise and I'm not living in la-la land, I'm living in the area in question. I've never once felt intimidated in or around Thomas St, Meath St, Bridgefoot St. etc. Yes you will see junkies but they won't say a word to you. I'm male, 28 and 6 foot but my gf is quite small and from "the country", she would say the exact same thing, never asks me to walk her back from college at 9.30pm, she'll walk Meath St, Thomas St on her own and has never had a single problem, nothing.

You'd advice against keeping your wits about you on a walk from Christ Church to St.James?..

Ok maybe I shouldn't have said "La-la land'', 'away with the fairies' would just as appropriate.

OP, there ya go.

You've view's from opposite sides of the same coin, flip it and try your luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I find most of the junkies that hang out are away with the fairies and too busy shouting 'Trayceeeeeeeeeeee!' up the road after their mates and trying not to spill their coffee to bother with civilians passing by.

As I think was mentioned in this thread already, you need to keep your wits about in most places in Dublin nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Appreciate the info guys!! Yeah tough to call really, walked down there the last night couple of Junkies around but not much different from the area I lived in on my Erasmus year in France.
    The place in question is in an apartment complex in Carmen's Hall just off Meath street.

Talking with my friends in Dublin they reckon no matter where you are in the city you're always only a couple of streets away from a 'dodgy' area.

Good luck Barlett. Carman's Hall is a grand spot. St Nicolas of Myra will be looking after you! :)

OK folks, I think we'll leave it at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement