Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!

Options
  • 19-11-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have to do an english essay and im completly stumpted!! Dont have a clue wat to write!:confused::confused:

the title is to write an essay suggested by the words
    "see you later paul,' said one of the girls. There was a titter of laughter."

Any suggestions?? I could really do with the help

Comments

C-Denny wrote: »
    I have to do an english essay and im completly stumpted!! Dont have a clue wat to write!:confused::confused:

the title is to write an essay suggested by the words
    "see you later paul,' said one of the girls. There was a titter of laughter."

Any suggestions?? I could really do with the help

Be creative, use your own mind! You're not going to gain any benefits out of somebody coming up with an idea for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 howtobeknown

dont listen to jammy dodger!!! He hasnt a clue and spams posts!!

You enter this sentence into the story at the start or the end even the middle of the essay..

Paul could have done something embarssing funny, flirted with the girls etc!!! Is this ordinary english??? If so about 2-3 A4 pages

dont listen to jammy dodger!!! He hasnt a clue and spams posts!!

You enter this sentence into the story at the start or the end even the middle of the essay..

Paul could have done something embarssing funny, flirted with the girls etc!!! Is this ordinary english??? If so about 2-3 A4 pages

I spam posts do I? That's a first. Honestly, judging by your sentence structures, you don't seem to be one who is capable of handing out advice for English essay composition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Honestly, judging by your sentence structures, you don't seem to be one who is capable of handing out advice for English essay composition.

That was possibly the best insult ever!
    Pointing out poor grammar is my life.
    -JammyDodger- <3

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭c7

As far as I know, you don't even have to put the quote into the story just loosely base it around the quote given. You could start the story a few minutes after the scene where this was said giving his reaction etc....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Try and find a really good essay that you got a A or a B in or something, tighten it up a bit and just wack in that sentence anywhere in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Yeah...

maybe he's being bullied?

Hm...I generally stick to discursive essays anyway...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

See you later Paul said one of the girls. There was a titter of laughter. Paul was the team captain and one to be hunted by any female in her right mind. There was laughter before but this was new laughter. The girls laughed before because it was that laughter that comes from the embarrassment of meeting the boy you have a crush on face to face. But now it was different. Now nobody wanted to be seen dead walking down the road with Paul, let alone go out on a date with him.
    Nobody even knew if the rumours were true but at this stage it didn't matter. The cat was out of the bag and Paul would have to live with it for the rest of his life. Rumour was that because of the first rumour he was now to lose the captaincy of the football team. Four years he had been captain, almost from the first time he stepped on the football field at Scoil na rumor. Of course it was widely anticipated that he would be captain given the sporting prowess of his two brothers before him. A lot to live up to and Paul did not come up short.
    So the question was 'why on earth would he risk it all to do such a stupid thing?' It wasn't like he needed the money and even if he did his mates were wealthy enough to have a whip around. But was that it? Was he too proud to ask for help? Maybe he really did believe all the hype about himself. That he was invincible. That defenders would crumble as he ran towards them with the ball. How many goals had he scored now? The girls had lost count. To be honest they didn't care if he scored. They just wanted to see him run although for some it was a welcome relieve when he scored as they could scream and let out all the built up frustration of having him within arms length and yet a million miles away from their dreams.
    It was all different now. Who would talk to him? His friends? They seemed to be deserting him by the day. All the back slapping and shoulder hugging seemed to mean little now. They say a week is a long time in politics. Well a minute was a long time in Pauls life. Because that was when the damage was done. That forty seconds when for some unknown bizarre reason he decided to risk it all. And like where did he get it anyway? He didn't have any sisters and his mother would never wear something like that. If he was into that sort of thing why not just do it at home in the privacy of his own bedroom. In front of the mirror like. Or was that it? That there was no buzz at home. No danger.
    Did he really think that even when he set off the fire drill, that the whole school would evacuate to the yard. And surely he knew that he would be missed when the roll call came in the assembly area. That's when the brigade would be called. When the principal realised that the hero of the school was trapped in the blazing inferno. And yes indeed there was some truth in that. For trapped indeed was Paul. And that's when the brigade came into their own. They could not see smoke or fire but they saw Paul on the top floor. This was a perfect opportunity to bring out the ladder and make the front page of the rumour gazette. Four burly firemen scuttled up the ladder like squirrels up a tree and before Paul knew it he was being dragged down the ladder kicking and screaming and crying like a baby.
    The shock amongst the nine hundred and ninety nine boys and girls below was palpable not because of the bawling of their hero but because of the pink fluffy mini skirt with non matching top and six inch platforms. Shouted one boy 'it's a good job he's wearing his knickers' as the wind blew Pauls skirt up to his bra.
    Four weeks have passed now. Paul remains tightlipped about his reasons but at this stage reasons make no difference. The rumours have satisfied peoples curiosity. The wise men of the parish say that it will all die down when people find something else to talk about and that it will be all forgotten about. For Paul that day cannot come a day too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

strongr wrote: »
    Try and find a really good essay that you got a A or a B in or something, tighten it up a bit and just wack in that sentence anywhere in it.

Eh, this might have worked a few years ago but at this year's marking conference, they really tightened up on spieling out a pre-learned essay and throwing the sentence in. The other area was vaguely linking a learned story to a picture in Text 3, it's not showing any creativity (HL).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

That was good pathway.. not something i'd ever write,, but suprisingly it kept me interested until the end -thats a big achievement as i find it hard to read long chunks of texts on the computer screen!!

as for the essay, the trick is to have a basic idea of a story, (pretty crap) example, Boy meets girl, they fall in love, theres a complication, complication gets sorted out and they live happliy every after..
    And.. you could throw is that line anywhere, just randomly. "see you later paul,' said one of the girls. There was a titter of laughter. Paul turned around and realised that they were giggling and pointing towards his feet. Paul slowly looked down and saw that there was a large piece of toilet paper stuck to his right foot"

if you go into the exam with no ideas at all, then it tends to become unstructured and messy, im not condoning learning off an essay by any means BTW

• Advertisement

bythewoods wrote: »
    That was possibly the best insult ever!
    Pointing out poor grammar is my life.
    -JammyDodger- <3

Haha, well he deserved it! Nothing beats pointing out someone elses bad grammer!:P I see he's blocked now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

KatCookie wrote: »

as for the essay, the trick is to have a basic idea of a story, (pretty crap) example, Boy meets girl, they fall in love, theres a complication, complication gets sorted out and they live happliy every after..

if you go into the exam with no ideas at all, then it tends to become unstructured and messy, im not condoning learning off an essay by any means BTW

Good advice. If you get these kind of essays frequently, or they're likely to come up in your exam, it might help you to have a list of prepared questions in your head, such as:

Who is Paul?
    Why is there a group of girls - was he talking to one of them or all of them?
    What are they laughing at?
    What tone of voice was "see you later" said in?
    Was the girl mocking him, saying casually that she'd see him later, was she hopeful?
    Why will she see him later - have they just arranged a date, is it his sister, someone in his next class?
    Turn things around - maybe Paul isn't the protagonist - maybe the girl who spoke was. In that case, who is she? Why are the other girls laughing - are they laughing at her, are they giddy about something?

Maybe Paul is surrounded by the "popular" girls at school, and a less popular girl has spoken, and the cool kids are laughing at her.
    Maybe Paul goes to an all-boys school, but studies a single subject at an all-girls school.
    Maybe Paul is a teacher.

Spend a few minutes jotting down answers to the questions you come up with when you first get the sentence, and you might find the story builds itself up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Aerb

Haha, well he deserved it! Nothing beats pointing out someone elses bad grammer!:P I see he's blocked now anyway!
    well, he*
    else's*
    , anyway*
    grammar*

You're right; that felt goooood. 8 D

(that wasn't meant to be disparaging. I was being feisty!)

Aerb wrote: »
    well, he*
    else's*
    , anyway*
    grammar*

You're right; that felt goooood. 8 D

(that wasn't meant to be disparaging. I was being feisty!)

Now you're just being pedantic! I'll have to be more careful in future:P

Now you're just being pedantic! I'll have to be more careful in future:P
    Ironically, you are being equally so in your deliriously obscured vocabulary demonstration in an attempt to intimidate me! D< You'll have to get up pretttty early in the morning, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Pedantic isn't a terribly obscure word, tbh. Particularly not online, where everyone is a pedant.

To get back on topic, my only advice is to NOT do the obvious story. Try and do something original and entertaining for the examiner... If your story is the same as everyone else's, your writing is going to have to be all the better to make it stand out. If you can think of an unusual or clever twist on the starting point, you'll probably have to work less to make a good impression. (Assuming you can pull your idea off. Here is something I found from exprience: Never give a short story a long timeline. You could fill an entire short story with an event that occurred in the space of 30 minutes if you did it right. No need to go getting epic Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter on anyone's ass.)

Aerb wrote: »
    Ironically, you are being equally so in your deliriously obscured vocabulary demonstration in an attempt to intimidate me! D< You'll have to get up pretttty early in the morning, sir.

What PurpleFistMixer said; I'm refusing to post any more comments for fear of making more mistakes, that, would surely be pointed out by you:P

What PurpleFistMixer said; I'm refusing to post any more comments for fear of making more mistakes, that, would surely be pointed out by you:P

Well, it was kind of obscure to me, because I had to look it up in a dictionary. <_<;

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Some classic twists to use:

The antagonist is in the protagonist's mind all along.
    Character A was dead all along.
    Character a is Character Bs mother
    Character A was bad all along

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My ending for every essay I've ever written is "And then they all died." Sometimes I just imply it, other times I just literally write that sentence. Ties up any loose ends nicely I think ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

KatCookie wrote: »
    That was good pathway.. not something i'd ever write,, but suprisingly it kept me interested until the end -thats a big achievement as i find it hard to read long chunks of texts on the computer screen!!

thanks...it got me a D1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Well i liked it anyways! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

"See you later paul,' said one of the girls. There was a titter of laughter. Humanity was in the middle of a desperate struggle for survival. The Alien races and the ULTRA Dinosaur mutants had banded together to defeat what they precieved as their greatest threat.....most of story here....he knew deep inside that this was something that maybe humanity could not fight alone. Could these new aliens be trusted? Is there more to them then just wanting to bring justice to the galaxy? That didn't matter though, what mattered was that her legs were open as if to make an offering of some sort...so on and so forth.

Davidius wrote: »
    "See you later paul,' said one of the girls. There was a titter of laughter. Humanity was in the middle of a desperate struggle for survival. The Alien races and the ULTRA Dinosaur mutants had banded together to defeat what they precieved as their greatest threat...quote]

LOL, cool path but not ehat i expected. Actually lol'd!

Ah, I can't edit that post ^^.
    And it's a mess, so apologies.

Advertisement