Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M-sport suspension

Options
  • 19-11-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Has anybody experience of m sport suspension on 05-08 3 series bmws?
    Are they too uncomfortable for irish roads?
    Thanks inadvance

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

depends on what you are used to. it's not a 'comfort' suspension, once you aren't expecting that it's fine imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Installed suspension from an MSport onto my 320d, it lowered it by about 5mm and stiffened it up. Not as comfortable as the standard suspension. Not rock hard mind

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

I have a 2006 520d M-Sport.
    Previously i had a 2002 530d M-Sport.
    My previous car (e39) was much stiffer than an SE model but was still very comfortable and not a bit harsh over bumps.
    But this newer shape (e60) is hard as granite on the road. From what i can tell it seems to be the Run Flat Tyres 245/40/18 fitted as standard that make things so bumpy.
    Its no problem on the motorways but totally over the top hard and bumpy on any normal Irish roads. I'm so pissed off with the harsh ride that i'm probably going to throw away 4 brand new Run Flats in favour of replacing them with 4 same sized standard tyres, and just put a spare etc in the boot. So I'd recommend M-Sport suspension highly but, be afraid, be very very afraid of them runflats!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

ideal wrote: »
    Has anybody experience of m sport suspension on 05-08 3 series bmws?
    Are they too uncomfortable for irish roads?
    Thanks inadvance

Ahh, rock solid I'd describe the car and I don't mean well built (even though it is!) I've got msport combined with 255/30/19 runflats. Forget about potholes, you soon learn where all the manhole covers are and avoid them. South quays and Parkgate street must be the roughest roads in Ireland. Crash bang crash bang you could be driving no more than 30 - if you go over a manhole cover (or a small seemingly irrelevant pothole) it sounds like the strut is about to burst through bonnet. You'll get used to it though and learn to drive carefully and live with it but passengers will wonder.

Edit: You'll also learn to steer between the cats eyes when changing lanes but on smooth roads the ride and handling are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭budweiserfrogie

robbie99 wrote: »
    passengers will wonder.
    I'm afraid t let my granny in mine in case she looses her false teeth!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

robbie99 wrote: »
    You'll also learn to steer between the cats eyes when changing lanes but on smooth roads the ride and handling are fantastic.

Ha ha nothing like the feeling of changing lanes and missing the cats eyes,on a proper suspension cats eyes always feel so harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ownsel

Just make up your mind what you value more, comfort or speed and handling through the bendy bits! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

I have the previous model 320, with sport suspension. On motorway it is fine but in the city center or on country back roads it is way too harsh.

The handling is great but I will go for standard suspension next time.

If you add 18" wheels and low profile run-flats I hate to think how bad it would be.:o

The low stance looks great but the ride quality is turning me off BMW's altogether.

It would be best to drive both over some rough roadway and see what you think yourself.

Advertisement