Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with eircom broadband?

• 19-11-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

I've seen other posts by people who are also having trouble with the red light + disconnecting with eircom broadband for approx the last two weeks,

Anyone have any sort of solution to this? Or know specifically what's causing it?

Don't really want to have to go through all these "technical tests" with the support number and them having no idea of what's wrong even though it's effecting a number of people.

I only have a 2MB connection so I don't think my problem is due to line speed making the line fail.

Seems to work almost perfectly (ie:much better) daily from 6pm to about 9pm for me, get hardly any disconnections.

The netopia 2247 logs for when I get disconnected show something like
    00:03:18:36 HTTP: "admin" host 192.168.1.1 logging out (timing out)
    00:03:17:27 HTTPC: No context found for closed socket 0
    00:03:17:27 TR-069: Closing connection on failure
    00:03:17:12 TR-069: Connect to 86.43.34.198 Retry 15
    Reading from bottom to top.

Also seem to be having failed auth attempts for some reason with settings which have worked for 8 months :confused:
    00:03:16:56 PPPOE: PPP Session ID = 0x0e3e is closed
    00:03:16:56 PPPOE: Sending PADT packet for PPP , Session 0x0e3e is closed
    00:03:16:56 PPP: CHAP authentication failed, Channel 1 Reason: Remote refused our authentication attempt
    00:03:16:56 chap: received failure, id 151
    00:03:16:56 chap: received challenge, id 151
    Resetting router, re-entering the username/pass combo (eircom@eircom.net, broadband1) didn't work help nor did trying other combos.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

00:03:18:36 HTTP: "admin" host 192.168.1.1 logging out (timing out)

The above is caused by Microsoft OS making a brief http connection to the router, which times out after a while, not sure why it does this, but you can stop this by putting a password on your eircom 2247, and that stops that. This will not effect your broadband connection in any way though, so doesn't solve your problem.

00:03:17:27 HTTPC: No context found for closed socket 0
    00:03:17:27 TR-069: Closing connection on failure
    00:03:17:12 TR-069: Connect to 86.43.34.198 Retry 15

The above is eircom's 2247 nbbs trying to phone home to nbbs.eircom.ie but since eircom's nbbs has been messed up for ages, all eircom's routers log this several times a day. You can stop this by disabling nbbs client on the router. You can only do this from telnet window, it can't be done from web config. Again though, this is not causing your broadband problems, so fixing this or not will change nothing.

Quote:
    00:03:16:56 PPPOE: PPP Session ID = 0x0e3e is closed
    00:03:16:56 PPPOE: Sending PADT packet for PPP , Session 0x0e3e is closed
    00:03:16:56 PPP: CHAP authentication failed, Channel 1 Reason: Remote refused our authentication attempt
    00:03:16:56 chap: received failure, id 151
    00:03:16:56 chap: received challenge, id 151

The eircom BRAS servers are very busy, so when the router tries to establish a PPPoE connection, it may not succeed the first time. It may take several attempts, but again this is normal, it has nothing to do with your line quality, it's just down to the BRAS server dealing with lots of requests.

To solve your problems, from a command prompt window, could you telnet to 192.168.1.254 and type the command

show dsl

and copy and paste the results to here. That way, we can at least see what the quality of your line is like, and whether it is syncing at the full speed or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

(eircom@eircom.net, broadband1) didn't work help nor did trying other combos.

Any ideas?

The internet light goes RED? It sounds like you are getting kicked of the server or its congested at those times not giving you a IP address.

What make is the router you are using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Vanbis wrote: »
    The internet light goes RED? It sounds like you are getting kicked of the server or its congested at those times not giving you a IP address.

One other point regarding being kicked off. If you don't have dsl filters on your phones, every time you answer the phone, the PPPoE connection will close making the internet light go red.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lawlerp

Hi I got connected to eircom broadband today, and am in the process of setting it up wirelessly. I've a netopia router and the power, wireless and dsl lights are a steady green. the internet light is a steady red and the installation/setup is stuck on a page that says "Autosensing PPPoE/DHCP" and "Please wait while the WAN connection type is determined". Has anybody got any idea what's going on and how to fix it.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

douglasman wrote: »
    One other point regarding being kicked off. If you don't have dsl filters on your phones, every time you answer the phone, the PPPoE connection will close making the internet light go red.

Actually don't have dsl filters on the phone normally as the filter seemed to completely block out the phone signal. (faulty filter likely)
    So it's normally been run without filter and getting disconnected whenever the phone rings or is used. That's actually pretty seldom so doesn't really matter to be honest if it get's disconnected like once every 6 hours (when the phone's being used)
    To eliminate this being a possible factor in the recent problems, I've connected the filters to the phone line and even tried leaving phone unplugged completely.
    Vanbis wrote: »

Netopia 2247, worst router ever I know :S
    douglasman wrote:
    and copy and paste the results to here. That way, we can at least see what the quality of your line is like, and whether it is syncing at the full speed or not.
    Thanks for the detailed reply

2hpndec.jpg

That's while connected.
    Pretty sure the ratios/etc are crap, this is due to congestion correct?

edit: seems quite a number of people are having the same problem (/type of problem)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SNR Margin 4.5, thats too low .

Unplug everything from that line ( including filters) to get snr margin to at least 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Aye same thing was happening with me since the upgrade. Seems to be a line problem. Replace the phone chord going from the socket in the wall to the router with a newer one.

My Downstream SNR stays at 13.50 constant since replacing the line. No CRC's or DC's.
    Although Spongebob is right, it could also be a filter problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 hcor

This kept happening to us, too, for the last two weeks or so. I finally bit the bullet and rang technical support when the internet went down yesterday morning during a time when there couldn't have been any heavy usage. According to the tech guy, there was something blocking ths speed/signal to our modem, which is why it kept failing on us. He lowered our speed a little bit (we're on the 3mb offer and the speeds aren't any different to me, personally) and it works fine now. He gave me a ref. number should it happen again.

He implied it was something to do with our phone socket (of course), but if Eircom have recently done upgrades, I imagine it must have had something to do with that.

Well i guess you'll never know now. Im sure with the higher speeds the old lines would have stuggled to cope with the signal, its always worth a shot to change a 1metre phone cable.
    He implied it was something to do with our phone socket (of course)
    Im with the technician on this one. And i dont like eircom in the slightest. He wasn't bull****ting you there.

Im open to corrections though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

I have the same problem Cisco SOHO 97 btw. It does this intermittently..... Anyone any idea on the stats below? Since changing to the Cisco kit it now drops and reconnects within 5 seconds; however consumer routers seem to take 15 or so minutes.

CentralDSL>show dsl interface atm 0
                    ATU-R (DS)                      ATU-C (US)
    Modem Status:    Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
    DSL Mode:        ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT)
    ITU STD NUM:     0x01                            0x01
    Vendor ID:       'ALCB'                          'ALCB'
    Vendor Specific: 0x0000                          0x0000
    Vendor Country:  0x00                            0x0F
    Capacity Used:   99%                             51%
    Noise Margin:     4.0 dB                         12.0 dB
    Output Power:    18.5 dBm                         0.5 dBm
    Attenuation:     54.5 dB                         31.5 dB
    Defect Status:   None                            None
    Last Fail Code:  None
    Selftest Result: 0x00
    Subfunction:     0x15
    Interrupts:      1042 (1 spurious)
    Activations:     59
    Init FW:         embedded
    Operartion FW:   embedded
    SW Version:      3.9.220
    FW Version:      0x1A04

Interleave             Fast    Interleave              Fast
    Speed (kbps):          3072                0           384                 0
    Reed-Solomon EC:      56815                0            17                 9
    CRC Errors:             671                0             7                12
    Header Errors:          514                0            12                 8
    Bit Errors:               0                0
    BER Valid sec:            0                0
    BER Invalid sec:          0                0

LOM Monitoring : Disabled

DMT Bits Per Bin
    00: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 4 5 5 6 7 7 7 7
    10: 7 7 6 7 6 6 6 5 5 5 5 4 4 4 0 0
    20: 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 5 5 6 7 7 8 8 8 8
    30: 9 9 9 9 A A A A A 7 9 A B B 8 9
    40: 8 B B B C C 2 B C B C C C C B C
    50: C B B B B 9 9 A A A 9 8 7 3 4 4
    60: 3 8 9 9 A A A A A A A A A A A A
    70: 9 8 5 8 8 8 8 7 7 7 6 4 0 2 4 2
    80: 0 4 5 5 6 5 5 5 4 5 4 5 4 5 4 4
    90: 5 5 0 5 3 4 4 4 2 2 0 0 0 0 0 0
    A0: 0 0 2 2 2 0 3 0 4 0 3 2 2 0 2 0
    B0: 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    C0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    D0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    E0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    F0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Training log buffer capability is not enabled yet.
    CentralDSL>

My father's business runs off the same exchange and its the same story ? Exchange in question is Newtownmountkennedy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

how do I get this Screen ???

2hpndec.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

how do I get this Screen ???

If you are on XP click on start then run and in the little box that comes up type in cmd. Then in the the command prompt that comes up type in telnet 192.168.1.254

If on Vista click on start, go to all programs, go to accessories and you see command prompt. Right click on that icon and click run as administrator. Click yes at the prompt now a command prompt should come up (a big black box) now type in telnet 192.168.1.254

Or to bring a run box up in most Microsoft OS press the windows key and R at the same time. Type in cmd then in the command prompt window telnet 192.168.1.254.

If you are not running a netopia modem in the command prompt type in ipconfig, get the ip address for your default gateway and sub that address in instead of the .254 address above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

My connection also seems to be flakey at times, never get the full speed which does not bother be so much but some times the connection drops ,some days are better than others. But looking at the stats show from nitromaster I see that his download o/p power is much higher than mine and I was wondering if this could be the problem. These are my stats,

ADSL Line State: Up
    ADSL Startup Attempts: 2
    ADSL Modulation: DMT
    ADSL Data Path: Interleave
    Datapump Version: DSP 7.4.3.0, HAL 7.4.3.0

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 11.60 12.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 59.00 31.50 dB
    Output Power: 3.16 2.17 dBm
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 0 0
    Data Rate: 1728 256

The SNR varies alot at times,

If the SNR varies a lot your line is bad. As has been mentioned it could just be the phone line. And its worth replacing.

http://192.168.1.254/indexExptStatRES.htm?adslRES.htm
    Keep refreshing that page and keep an eye on the CRC's and the SNR.
    My SNR stays at 14.50 or 14.00. No CRCs.

I was fortunate enough to only have to replace the phone line and all was well. And has been for the last two months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Mine is getting very tempermental. Saw 299kbps speeds briefly after the upgrade of the Eircom Home package, but I seem to be maxing out at 199kbps since... Anything unusual here?

telnet.JPG

67640.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Hi
    I was recently upgraded form 8mps to 20mps. My max so far is 14mps. Eircom support said to change the cable from cat5 to cat6. Would this change make the improvement in speed ?

Advertisement