Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asperger's Syndrome

Options
  • 19-11-2008 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello, I am a gay 20 year old woman, living in Glasgow right now to study nursing. My girlfriend's ex girlfriend has a condition - Asperger's Syndrome. I don't know if many of you know about it..I will give a description - "Asperger syndrome is a form of autism, which is a lifelong disability that affects how a person makes sense of the world, processes information and relates to other people. Autism is often described as a 'spectrum disorder' because the condition affects people in many different ways and to varying degrees." http://www.nas.org.uk/asperger

Basically..things that have been described from reading I've done have made me think I have the condition. Not understanding social clues..my work's hard as a nurse, I find it hard to have any eye contact with people I don't know and look away from people a lot when I'm talking to them. I also can't read people incredibly well..I have strange interests, love to talk to myself and have weird things I like, I love the feel of soft clothes and will only wear clothes if they feel soft otherwise I will in fact prefer to be naked, I spent most my childhood ripping my clothes off (obviously I have stopped that now!)

I am worried about it as I see it as a hindrance to my career, people seem to think I'm 'stand-offish', extremely shy but when people know the real me they see I'm not like that just a tad strange..I'm just wondering is it possible to have so many of the symptoms but not actually have Asperger's? If that makes any sense! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

You could just be painfully shy.
    Aspergers is a mild form of autism. There are so many things, best option is to go get assessed by a psychologist and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 murrno

Yeah..I think the best way to find out is to speak to a professional..I took an aspie quiz online. It basically said I more than likely have the condition but you can never be sure how precise these things are..

I want to speak to someone, although, if it was confirmed I had it I don't know how I'd cope. I wouldn't like telling people etc..'Ignorance is bliss' and all that..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Well it's not gonna change you whether you are diagnosed with it or not.
    Dont be jumping the gun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think if you've got to where you are now without being diagnosed then I would leave well alone. As Will says you will still be you.

I think there are lots of people with it that haven't been diagnosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SwordsMum

My child may have Aspergers, we were only told yesterday so still in a bit of shouck, he's nearly 6 and I never even twigged anything could be different about him, he's above average intelligence in school and has difficulty with concentration and comprehension of things you try to tell him. I have been to a Clinical Neurophysiologist and maybe you should do the same, just because you have a couple of the symptoms you may not have it, it is multiple symptoms and extreme difficulty in social circumstances as far as I can tell. I would love to chat to other mumsdads in the same situation as me, who have diagnosed kids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement