Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cheap tv speaker set - opinions please

• 19-11-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

http://www.goodmans.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?pid=GHC58&language=en-GB&vw=ug

For use with Sky+, DVD recorder, Wii. Not a serious audiophile or cinema buff, just would like to beef up the sound to surround.

Price €75 new.

Goodmans GHC58 - good basic buy? 0 votes

Yes - get it, sounds like a steal
    0% 0 votes
    Ehhhh - not sure
    0% 0 votes
    No way, you'd be better off without
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

38 views, no replies, no votes. Pretty much like the few other threads I've started in the H.E. forum. Are my tastes not expensive enough for the people around here?:mad: I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

from my reading of the specs, those are just speakers and does not provide decoding of 5.1 surround sound.

This is fine if your DVD player already does this and provides multi channel output (and has 6 outputs rather than the normal stereo red/white pair).

If your dvd player only provides CoAxial/Optical output then you will need an amp to decode the Dolby Digital/DTS.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just a follow-up on this - my DVD recorder does indeed do the decoding and doesn't have an amp, so it would seem that this set is a perfect match for me. However, the price turned out to be €75 for each of two parts, which can't be split, not for the whole set, so €150 total. Not a huge impediment - until I read the following in the manual:

WARNING: Please note the sub-woofer (main unit), the front and surround speakers supplied with this kit are not magnetically shielded and must be positioned away from a TV or monitor screen (e.g sub-woofer: at least 100cm, front and surround speakers: at least 60cm). Failure to follow this instruction may result in localised discolouration of the screen, which may not be correctable.

So that's that. No intention of risking that outcome. Thank God for online manuals, I'd never have known otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yo,
    Pretty sure we're using these: http://richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?objectid=938&mode=0&categoryid=5&sub=100&productid=331&c=1 (€114) with a Yamaha RX-V359 linking them all up. Quite happy with it. The long one is currently on top of the TV for the past few months, and no problems with it.

Advertisement