Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics and math

Options
  • 20-11-2008 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi

I wonder if anyone has any information about the "Economics and mathematical science"-program? It seems nice to me - economics, math, some computing, and work experience automatically (eight months, co-op education). I've had a long email correspondence with the teacher, and he seems to be nice too... however, I would like to know if anyone has any information that either confirms or rebuts my impression of this being a good program.

So, if you're studying at the program, have studied at the program or knows anyone who have done so - please tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance
    /John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

I'm reviving this thread instead of creating a new one. I would also like to find out about the experiences people had with this course. Is there anyone who could answer some of the questions above? I have some extra questions also. How much of the course is focused on Economics and how much on Maths (what's the ratio I mean). Do you know how this course compares to the Financial Mathematics course, and what is the focus for that course also.

I have a big interest in Economics, have good ability at honours maths level and would like to work in areas such as investment banking, trading, economics and risk assessment. Furthermore, accountancy is one of my weak points, I hate it. Does this subject come up alot in these courses and would you advice going in if I don't like accounting?

Thanks a mil in advance,
    James.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Hi James,

I'm in fourth year of the course and have finished the co-op part. To answer you questions:
    The course slightly leans in favour of maths, with on average 3 modules maths and 2 modules economics per semester. You only do 1 computing module during the whole course, and that is in Semester 1. It is a Java programming module. The course module listing is here: http://www3.ul.ie/courses/EconomicsAndMathematicalSciences.php

The course is different to Financial Maths. Financial Maths is much more similar to the Mathematical Science course.

Regarding the accounting element of the course. You have the option to do 2 accounting modules in 1st year, but you don't have to do them. I have not done any accounting modules during my time at UL.

Advertisement