Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and cons with Limerick

Options
  • 20-11-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi

I made a similar thread in the NUI Galway forum and got many good answers there, so I thought maybe it could work here too:)

Well, simply, I would like everyone to list what they think is good (pros) and bad (cons) with Limerick and/or the university.

I'm right now thinking about either going to Limerick or Galway, so comparisons between them are welcome.

The program I'm considering studying at is "Economics and math".

/John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I'm going to suggest that you read the "What you need yo know about UL thread", the "Daily Bitch about life in UL thread", and basically do a search of the forum in general.

I'm not trying to be negative here, but there are lots of these threads on the go, and come up regularly with people repeating themselves over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

Sorry about it, the "official bitch about life in UL" is just very long and, from what I've read, a little bit negative (there gotta be SOMETHING good with UL too, right?). I've found information about living costs and so, but it's hard to find general information. If you have any thread (for example, a thread with the best things about UL/Limerick), please let me know where it is.

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Wendero wrote: »
    Sorry about it, the "official bitch about life in UL" is just very long and, from what I've read, a little bit negative (there gotta be SOMETHING good with UL too, right?). I've found information about living costs and so, but it's hard to find general information. If you have any thread (for example, a thread with the best things about UL/Limerick), please let me know where it is.

/John

There's a reason it's a bit negative, read the title?:rolleyes:

Use your head and search the forum, it's not that hard to do

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

As Mossin pointed out read the "What you need to know about UL" which is stickied at the top of the forum. Gives a good overview of UL and is hilarious to boot.

The bitch about UL thread is always going to be a bit negative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

klong wrote: »
    Use your head and search the forum, it's not that hard to do

That comes across a little rude.... :eek:

• Advertisement

Diamond007 wrote: »

Perhaps it is. But people shouldn't have to be spoon-fed information. The information is there, it's just a question of finding it.

I can partly agree with that, Klong, still, I don't think such a thread (where you count up pros and cons) would be only for me - many people could get use of it. The "What you need to know about UL"-thread didn't seem very serious. Funny, but not very serious. Especially not if you're a teetotaller who likes to study;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

klong wrote: »
    Perhaps it is. But people shouldn't have to be spoon-fed information. The information is there, it's just a question of finding it.

Ya big Patricia Conlon disciple ya :p

cson wrote: »
    Ya big Patricia Conlon disciple ya :p

:eek: Introduce yerself tomorrow young man!

Okey, I got an email about a new post that I cannot find - there were some tags in it, probably that's the reason it was deleted.

Anyway, the post said that Savage village was a great place and that co-op is a nice experience, and that the gym and pool were great. So was the nightlife - not that I care very much, I'm not very much of a partying person:) The student villages got a community with restaurants and everything

On the other side, UL got some problems with the Internet. If you got problems, your on your own. Not good.

But what about the standard of the education? Professor Ramsey seems to be a really nice person, I've talked with him a lot over the internet and once over phone. But if anyone knows anything else, please let me know.

/John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Diamond007 wrote: »
    Curt yes, rude no. Curt can be OK if not overused.
    Anyway, the post said that Savage village was a great place
    Checking all deleted posts (the poster deleted his own), it was "Savage campus, the student villages look class even just from a scenic point of view", not Savage Village. Limerick can be as rough as any other city but we've not reached the stage where we're calling a campus village after it yet:)

Yep, sorry about the mistake, I misread his post:) Anyway, not much difference. I think brookfield (... or did I misspell again?) seems to be a nice place, given that I'm very interested in studying. A little bit far away from UL of course:( Takes 15-30 minuits to walk according to sources:( Pretty harsch rules, but might actually not be very wrong.

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Plassey is fun for first year, and considering 1st year is disregarded for the purpose of degree classification, I'm sorry I didn't have more fun. All you need to do is pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ninty9er wrote: »
    Plassey is fun for first year, and considering 1st year is disregarded for the purpose of degree classification, I'm sorry I didn't have more fun. All you need to do is pass!
    Im happier just going to plassey for house parties and the likes, would hate to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

UL is great. End of story.

What about study environment? Which place (dromroe, brookfield, plassey...) would be best if you want to study more than party? :)

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

What about study environment? Which place (dromroe, brookfield, plassey...) would be best if you want to study more than party? :)

/John
    brookfield & Cappavilla

Okey. I read that brookfield has banned partying - funny student village I gotta say, definitely a bit nerdish;)

So which one of them would you recommend? I read Brookfield were expensive, but according to my calculation, it only costs 108 euros per week to live there - internet etc included. It's a bit away from college, but I would say I'm used to it - had the same distance (20-30 minuites walk) to my primary school, and even longer (1 hour walk or so) to my highschool - but now I take the bus.

/John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

Cappavilla's not too bad for studying I reckon. But I'd say you'll never get total silence wherever you go.

Total silence... does it exists somewhere except space?;)

I also read somewhere that it's hard to get an apartment with only one roommate, that those rooms are reserved for "special" people if on campus. Then maybe Brookfield is better? Or what do you think? The more roommates, the greater the chance that you will end up living with at least one idiot. At least that's how I see it.

/John

• Advertisement

I also read somewhere that it's hard to get an apartment with only one room-mate, that those rooms are reserved for "special" people if on campus. Then maybe Brookfield is better? Or what do you think? The more room-mates, the greater the chance that you will end up living with at least one idiot. At least that's how I see it.

/John

TBH you're better of with 6/8 people in first year, otherwise you'll end up being that wierd recluse that does EVERYTHING on his own and that nobody wants to be in project groups with.

2 people is more a 4th year thing. At least if you get stuck with an idiot in a 6/8 bed house there are other people to share the pain, in a 2 bed they'll be annoying you 24/7.

2 Bed is best left til when you know someone and you plan to move into the same house together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

I also read somewhere that it's hard to get an apartment with only one roommate, that those rooms are reserved for "special" people if on campus. Then maybe Brookfield is better? Or what do you think? The more roommates, the greater the chance that you will end up living with at least one idiot. At least that's how I see it.

/John

yeah, but I'm living in a house with five other people, and there are five of us who get along really well! Couldn't imagine living in a 2 person house. could be something you regret. By the way, would you be interested in joining clubs or societies or just be into the acedemics?

Yep, living with many probably suits some people - not to say, living with many suits many people. I, though, think I would do better in a 2-person apartment (please note: not house). If I have to I'll live with more. My point was, that there might not be so many special people in need of a 2-person apartment off campus (those visiting professors or whoever they might be probably stay on campus).

I'd probably join some clubs/societies. Is there anywhere I can see a list of what societies and clubs there are?

Yep, living with many probably suits some people - not to say, living with many suits many people. I, though, think I would do better in a 2-person apartment (please note: not house). If I have to I'll live with more. My point was, that there might not be so many special people in need of a 2-person apartment off campus (those visiting professors or whoever they might be probably stay on campus).

I'd probably join some clubs/societies. Is there anywhere I can see a list of what societies and clubs there are?

www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie

Any questions you can pm me. I'm on the C&S exec and could give you an idea about what's involved in them if the websites don't give everything you want to know.

Thanks for the page, I took a quick look at it... well, Christian union is nice:)

I sent you a message in your guestbook (a visitor's message).

/John

Added there. I deleted the message to stop webbots harvesting the email address.

Okey, nice. You suddenly went offline on the MSN, but I hope to see you soon.

/John

Do you have to be spoon-fed everything? :rolleyes:

Haha, no, it is simply a question. If you don't want to answer to the question, please don't answer at all. Remember, other people could be reading this thread who may be asking this too. It's not like if you're only helping one person.

/John

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Lads, if ye can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

Or at least do it in the bitch thread!

Advertisement