Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and cons with Limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

I agree Peteee.

I looked up a lot of information about accomodation, but it's hard to find comments about student environment and the quality of the education (which is most important to me). Neither have I been able to find anything about the professors (if they are nice, seem to know much etc).

Can you please "spoon-feed" me with some information about that?:)

;)
    /John

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

We're all here for the education, but the friends you make, the drunken parties, the bitching about " the eejit who...." is much more valuable to you than your degree ever will be.

Hehe, I get it. I read something about first year courses not being counted for the final QCA (or whatever it's called)? True or not?

so, Ninty9er, what do you think about the education and so? Would you recommend Galway or Limerick, from an education perspective?:)

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Wendero wrote: »
    Hehe, I get it. I read something about first year courses not being counted for the final QCA (or whatever it's called)? True or not?

This is true, you just need a basic pass, any A grades will not carry forward.
    so, Ninty9er, what do you think about the education and so? Would you recommend Galway or Limerick, from an education perspective?:)

/John

I'm biased towards UL, but NUIG is a strong and long established institution. UL is an excellent overall student experience and you get a placement too which is a definite advantage.

Do you plan to stay in Ireland after you graduate? I can't help but notice you're non-native;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I can partly agree with that, Klong, still, I don't think such a thread (where you count up pros and cons) would be only for me - many people could get use of it. The "What you need to know about UL"-thread didn't seem very serious. Funny, but not very serious. Especially not if you're a teetotaller who likes to study;)

As we've pointed out if you want to see the pros and cons read the threads that are already available. There are more than enough comments about life in UL and Limerick in general.
    The Don wrote: »
    UL is great. End of story.

+1
    What about study environment? Which place (dromroe, brookfield, plassey...) would be best if you want to study more than party? :)

If you want to study then you will make do with whatever surroundings you are in. Some people can study in a 6/8 person appartment/house, while others need a single/two person place, which in theory should be quieter.
    Parties could happen anywhere, even next door to the supposed quieter place.
    I'd probably join some clubs/societies. Is there anywhere I can see a list of what societies and clubs there are?

There is a link to the clubs and socs website from the UL homepage, and has been posted here by ninty9er. A simple search of the website would have enabled you to find it.
    klong wrote: »
    Do you have to be spoon-fed everything? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
    Haha, no, it is simply a question. If you don't want to answer to the question, please don't answer at all. Remember, other people could be reading this thread who may be asking this too. It's not like if you're only helping one person.

A lot of people view this forum without ever posting, and new people usually spend time reading and searching through older threads to find the information they want before starting a brand new thread asking for the same information again and again. That why threads are stickied!
    Peteee wrote: »
    Lads, if ye can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.
    Or at least do it in the bitch thread!

The bitch thread is about daily life in UL, not to go and bitch about threads here, or people's responses.
    I agree Peteee.

I looked up a lot of information about accomodation, but it's hard to find comments about student environment and the quality of the education (which is most important to me). Neither have I been able to find anything about the professors (if they are nice, seem to know much etc).

Can you please "spoon-feed" me with some information about that?:

If you want information on accomodation and comments on the study environment, have you checked the thread Where you live - Reviews??

Afaik, we are not allowed to comment here abut individual lecturers. [I'm sure Petee will clarify that for me]. But if you want information about lecturers why not email the course director, or PM people here who may have done the course you are hoping to do.

Personally the quality of lecturing in UL varies drastically. I've had some excellent lecturers, and some awful ones. But it doesnt detract from my degree or my level of study, because regardless of whether a college has lots of pros or cons, whether the educational standards are high or not, you will take what you want from the experience, and no amount of spoon feeding information will change that.

• Advertisement

Where do you usually get a placement? Is it related to the course, or could you theoretically end up at McDonald's?;)

Yes, I plan to stay if I can (depending on the job market).

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Where do you usually get a placement? Is it related to the course, or could you theoretically end up at McDonald's?;)
    You could theoretically end up almost anywhere. Of course, theoretically all placements are related to the course you're doing. Many of them are, although some of the larger courses (business, hpss etc) will have a good number of good placements directly related to the course while others will be only tangentially related. Life experience and all that - it's still a good way for most students of earning money for the next year (personally, I skipped my co-op placement in my current course, my weekend job at the time would have paid more and I couldn't afford to dump it).

It's a bit harder for some of the narrower courses to get good placements at times but that's getting better as well.

With a good QCA you shouldn't have a great deal of trouble getting a relevant job.

Nice. What do you think about economics and math? is that a narrow or a broad field? I've always seen it as pretty broad, but I don't know...

How much do you earn (depends of course, but within what numbers would you say)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Mossin wrote: »

A lot of people view this forum without ever posting, and new people usually spend time reading and searching through older threads to find the information they want before starting a brand new thread asking for the same information again and again. That why threads are stickied!

The bitch thread is about daily life in UL, not to go and bitch about threads here, or people's responses.

Yeah, thats what I was getting at. Constructive criticism is all well and good, as you have here but sarcastic smiley replies are taking the piss a bit.

If you want information on accomodation and comments on the study environment, have you checked the thread Where you live - Reviews??

Afaik, we are not allowed to comment here abut individual lecturers. [I'm sure Petee will clarify that for me]. But if you want information about lecturers why not email the course director, or PM people here who may have done the course you are hoping to do.

Personally the quality of lecturing in UL varies drastically. I've had some excellent lecturers, and some awful ones. But it doesnt detract from my degree or my level of study, because regardless of whether a college has lots of pros or cons, whether the educational standards are high or not, you will take what you want from the experience, and no amount of spoon feeding information will change that.

Good advice here too. The reviews thread has many quality posts on accomodation, and all your answers have probably already been asked.

As for the lecturers I think mentioning them specifically is verboten in the charter.

As for spoon feeding, well you wont get far in UL if thats your modus operandi.

Good post Mossin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Peteee wrote: »

As for spoon feeding, well you wont get far in UL if thats your modus operandi.

All depends on the course imho...;)

• Advertisement

I don't expect to get all information directly at university. Anyway, the review thread was useful when it comes to accomodation. Thanks - finally someone who tells me what thread to look in (I've searched in the forums before, but I guess I'm not very good at it).

/John

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nice. What do you think about economics and math? is that a narrow or a broad field? I've always seen it as pretty broad, but I don't know...
    It's narrow. Arts, HPSS or a general science degree are broad, economics and maths is quite narrow. Useful for demonstrating a general ability towards analytical matters though.
    How much do you earn (depends of course, but within what numbers would you say)?
    Personally I've no idea, it really depends on what field you go into so any guess would be bad guesswork. As a guide, you could ask admissions if they have details of what past graduates have earned in their first year after graduation (figures for graduating class of 2006/07 have just been completeted by the careers service) but E&M is a newish course as far as I know, if so it hasn't had any graduates yet.

Advertisement