Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking levy Why is Kilkenny "City" not included?????

Options
  • 20-11-2008 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

The Government's new €200 workplace parking levy is to be introduced in five cities from next January.The details of the levy will be published in tomorrow's Finance Bill but it will apply in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

Whatever Happened to Kilkenny?????? Seeing as claims are made constantly that it is a city......Anyone??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

its not a city, goodbye!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Namesco wrote: »
    its not a city, goodbye!

Government legislation says you are wrong, troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

mimiraffo wrote: »
    The Government's new €200 workplace parking levy is to be introduced in five cities from next January.The details of the levy will be published in tomorrow's Finance Bill but it will apply in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

Whatever Happened to Kilkenny?????? Seeing as claims are made constantly that it is a city......Anyone??

Are you actually complaining that the people of Kilkenny won't have to pay a €200 parking levy? Really now? Who cares if it's a city or not, you should be happy that you won't be paying.

If you are really upset that you won't have to pay, feel free to give me €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

OP, take a look at the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

mimiraffo wrote: »

were special :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

i imagine Kilkenny urban area and other towns/cities of similar size were left out because they can not financially support a sufficient public transport as an alternative to driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

kilkenny is called a city but isn't really a true city.

We have 1 bus, 1 garda station, 1 fire station etc.
    They are bigger towns than kilkenny 'city'.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Waterford has 1 fire station and 1 garda station...whats your point?

Anyway, its worth noting that this parking levy is not just the goverment its also down to local councils, so in this case you could read it like kilkenny county concil had the people's best interests at heart by not looking to introduce the levy within Kilkenny City.

Finally in relation to the levy and waterford, I don't see to many people happy that waterford is included, you finally get counted as a city in one thing and your still not happy ;)

Kilkenny City has a city charter since 1609 as such it is classed as a city, another example of a place being given a charter would be Callan Co Kilkenny which was granted a town charter 800 years ago and is classed as a town to this day. People can bitch and moan all the want but to say Kilkenny is not a City is wrong as it is called Kilkenny City under Section 10(7) of the Local Government Act 2001.

I'd expect this thread to last about three more days at this rate.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Legally Kilkenny is a town and thats proved by not being hit by this daft law.

Waterford as a point of info will have two fire stations very shortly, I think the Guards have a shoe- box on Ferrybank. Or did at one point.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Oh god not this again...............anyhow I understand originally it was just the "big" cities i.e. Dublin/Cork/Limerick were included in this measure. Seems to have extended it now to Galway and Waterford now.
    A ridiculous stealth tax and also a ridiculous thread here on it. Somebody please lock it up before we get the usual KK vs Waterford thingy :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

*sigh*

Clearly nobody reads the charter. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement