Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Fog Bulb Question??? ASAP!!!!

Options
  • 20-11-2008 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I am taking a car for NCT tomorrow and done the night time before checks just now to discover that both one of the bottom front foglights and a rear fog light are both blown.

Is a blown foglight a failure??? It is not due until tomorrow evening for it as I am taking it in for my mother and I gave it a clean bill of health only for this to happen. I can get new bulbs tomorrow and fit them I just need to now how important foglights are in the NCT!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

No. Not all cars have front fog lights.

And confirmation that they aren't on the checklist...
    http://www.ncts.ie/inspection_list.html##4

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If your car has them they must be in working order, however, a bulb failure is only a visual retest meaning you only have to bring it back and the guy just looks out the window so see are they working.

Why not just a buy a fog light bulb on your way to the NCT centre. Any motor factors. Just tell them what type of bulb. If possible take out the bulb now and bring it with you. Its likely you wont meet fog on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why do you need foglights? *stir stir* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

down, biko, down :D

he needs them for the NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

eeerh...no he doesn't:D

Fog light bulbs are not part of the test, we only check the fog light lens for cracks, thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Cosmo K wrote: »
    eeerh...no he doesn't:D

Fog light bulbs are not part of the test, we only check the fog light lens for cracks, thats it.
    Re: checking cracked fog lights lenses, that surprises me. Do you work for NCTS? What section/paragraph of the NCT manual covers fog light lenses?

Yes, I'm one of them:D

Cracked fog lamp lenses fall under "Aux Lamp Condition"-lens-cracked/fractured. At the moment we only check the lens and the mounting, not the focus or the functioning of fog lights.

Are we suggesting to people that they should never bother fixing their fog light bulbs because the NCT are not concerned about them?

I could drive in with a working fog with a crack in the glass and fail

You could drive in with faulty fog lights. I.e not working at all and pass

Thats riddiculous. Every item that impacts on the drivability of the car should be in working order. I was one failed for shoddy electrics. I suggested he write to the manufacturer and tell them that they cannot build a car because it was a standard electrical set up out of the factory, never altered in any way.

If I bring my car into the NCT people and they tell me that my fog lights is cracked I should then by right get a screw driver and snips and remove the fog lights from my car and say that the car is now passible because they no longer exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.......If I bring my car into the NCT people and they tell me that my fog lights is cracked I should then by right get a screw driver and snips and remove the fog lights from my car and say that the car is now passible because they no longer exist.

Correct - they're not required by law .

I know people who do similar, with a certain Jap import, which has an red side marker light (JDM spec). Connected, it's a fail. Disconnected, it's a pass......

Ditto with no plate - NCT day puts in one place, the following day........it's somewhere else.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thats riddiculous. Every item that impacts on the drivability of the car should be in working order.

No its not. Not every car has fog lights, they are not compulsary. A lot of cars have no front fog lights, are you suggesting they should fail then?

• Advertisement

Cosmo K wrote: »
    No its not. Not every car has fog lights, they are not compulsary. A lot of cars have no front fog lights, are you suggesting they should fail then?

Im suggesting that anything your car actually \has installed on it should be fully tested. If you have no fogs well there is nothing to test but cars with fogs should be tested because they impact on the drivability of that car.

I could them go ahead and install 100w 8000kn Xenon HID foglights which are quite possibly the brightest and most illegal in the known world and there is nothing that the NCT can do. That would be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Im suggesting that anything your car actually \has installed on it should be fully tested. If you have no fogs well there is nothing to test but cars with fogs should be tested because they impact on the drivability of that car.

...but that's a (with respect) a nonsense argument.

There'd have to be a standard to test them to, for a start. And there isn't. So you can't ask the NCT to make one up, because that in itself, would be daft. So 'testing' for something, which has no standard is.........impossible.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

What about auto-dipping headlights, cars have them too, they are not tested. The list of checks would grow & grow. Th eNCT is not a "catch-all" test it is about ensuring the basics are in order which in turn should have a knock-effect on road safety.

You have to draw the line somewhere due to cost & time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If I car has a 21 speaker DSP system, should they also check that all 21 speakers are producing the correct frequencies? The NCT is a safety test of sorts, and while it's not perfect, it's enough for what's needed. I agree with Rebel Ranter on this one.

Advertisement