Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horslips

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Great band, but anyone else got a love/hate relationship with the song Dearg Doom due to it's use in Irish sports? It's a very good song, but I think the main riff has been somewhat soured for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Thats a name i havnt heard in an age.

Great band..........from the songs i have heard

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Wow. That brings back memories of Red Island in Skerries on New Years Eve many moons ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I remember my dad playing the Tain on vinyl when I was a kid. I still have that LP now. Its been played so much it's unplayable. A fantastic band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Great band, but anyone else got a love/hate relationship with the song Dearg Doom due to it's use in Irish sports? It's a very good song, but I think the main riff has been somewhat soured for me.

Same for me with both Dearg doom and Trouble with a Capital T.

I wasn't too keen on their recent album of acoustic versions of their old classics though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Not a huge fan but always loved Furniture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I still love Dearg Doom, despite its overuse, I think I just have got use to the fact that after the main riff I should not be expecting "Ole ole ole ole". They do have some killer riffs though, Sword of Light being my favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

yehahh great band,....

the band that started me into more rock/hard rock etc after my teen years as a fan of 50's rock n roll, theirs soo much stuff by them and in fact it was listening to them that made me pick up stix and become a veryyy beginning drummer way back when :)

Saw them twice in UK on their own "Man Who Built America" tour in 79 and saw them the year before with Thin Lizzy at wembley arena on the Lvie And Dangerous 2 night special there...they were a seriously louuud band hahaha

And great timing with this thread,,,as was only this week playing their stuff to gf in the car as we went about and man is "The Tain" a great classic album,,,for me their best ever,..was sooo unique in so many ways.

And for guys who like more hard edged rock check their album "Aliens".,,great stuff on there,.,,,but ya need to play it louuud to get the full wammy from it...some how it was produced slightly dull sounding INO, but man that Album rocks!!!

ciao' amigos...Baggio....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Still my favourite band. Johnny Fean made me pick up a guitar and despite the overuse, DD and trouble are still great, but there are too many other great songs to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Aligator Farmer

One Christmas, When I was in national school around the late seventies / early eighties somebody brought a horslips record in and played it in the classroom.
    Green vinyl in the shape of a shamrock.
    Wonder if this type of thing still goes in Irish schools ;-)
    Never got to see them live, although I did see Johnny Fean with another band in the late eighties.
    Does he still tour?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

I think he does still play live gigs, that green shamrock shaped single was "Loneliness" from "The Man Who Built America" great song for sure, I still have that - its a bit of a collectors item now me thinks :)

AF - yes he still tours. He plays with bassist Steve Travers (formerly of the Miami Showband and the Crack). Fantastic gigs too, tons of old blues and Horslips tunes.
    Gig guide is available here: http://www.feanandtravers.com/calendar.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Ah, come lads!:eek: No one has mentioned Bim Istigh Ag Ol yet. Absolute classic, that one. Those diddley aye riffs. You can't beat em!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭goonersnroses

Where could I get the Tain and the book of invasions?

You can get them online (the remastered versions on CD that is). CHeck out www.horslips.ie for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

What happened to Horslips main competition, Mushroom? Early One Morning they broke up, I know, but components still involved in music?

djScarey wrote: »
    What happened to Horslips main competition, Mushroom? Early One Morning they broke up, I know, but components still involved in music?

I have the Mushroom album and there are parts of it that are very good and on par with Horslips, but its very poorly produced, the singing is very off key in places (especially early one morning). I think with a bit of development they could have been as celebrated as Horslips, yet their album according to Prog Archives says they sold 100,000 records.

Heres the link to the progarcives entry

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1175

The one thing I'd like to know is the Aengus McNally the same dude as the RTE presenter of Anything Goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

Yes Aeongus was in Mushroom and was a super guitar player. I loved the track "Devil among the tailors" .
    His father was one of Ireland's greatest ever actors and I was lucjy to see him in the Abbey in " Death of a salesman" not long before he died.

I was 14 when I was brought to see Horslips in the stadium for my first ever gig. I remember a very loud playing of the haunting Mise Eire to a dark stadium before the entrance of the band. And i remember they were very loud !!!

Well what a surprise, as the guitar playing ain't bad at all. I was looking for their version of Drowsy Maggie which is for me the best track on the album, however I found the track Crying of the album on You Tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Bearhunter wrote: »
    AF - yes he still tours. He plays with bassist Steve Travers (formerly of the Miami Showband and the Crack). Fantastic gigs too, tons of old blues and Horslips tunes.
    Gig guide is available here: http://www.feanandtravers.com/calendar.htm
    Iv seen them play in tralee a few times,steve travers uses a headless bass,they were very good gigs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mrtaylor1981

They were very popular all across Ireland, a bit before my time though. Uncles etc were crazy about them. They often wonder how they did not make it big international like Thin Lizzy, Corrs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Had they many albums released? I remember having 'The Belfast Gigs' on audio tape about 20 years ago.

finbarrk wrote: »
    Had they many albums released? I remember having 'The Belfast Gigs' on audio tape about 20 years ago.

They released 12 albums in the first 10 years:
    Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part
    The Tain
    Dancehall Sweethearts
    The Unfortunate Cup of Tea
    Horslips Live
    Drive the Cold Winter Away
    Book of Invasions
    Tracks from the Vaults
    Aliens
    Man Who Built America
    Short Stories Tall Tales
    Belfast Gigs

and then re-recorded some old favourites back in 2002 and released it as Rollback. It's basically Horslips unplugged and it's f***ing brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Which would be the best 2 or 3 to get Bear?

Well usually the generally accepted best three would be The Tain, Book of Invasions and Aliens, but I'm a complete anorak when it comes to Horslips, so I'd also add Happy to Meet, Dancehall Sweethearts, Live, Man Who Built America and then the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I might be wrong but didnt the horslips do a cracking version of an old Irish tune "King Of The Fairies" savage stuff altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I might be wrong but didnt the horslips do a cracking version of an old Irish tune "King Of The Fairies" savage stuff altogether

You're dead right, and a brilliant version it is too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Is anybody going to their gig in December?
    (figured this thread isn't too old for a bumping.)
    Raises a larger question of whether or not many of these bands should be reforming but I guess the proof is in the performance.
    http://entertainment.ie/event/Gigs/details/Horslips/2494073.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

While we're on the subject, does anyone remember the Limerick band "Reform"?? Saw their name on a poster on the Horslips documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I don't think anyone's been on the subject for over a year :pac:

Advertisement