Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Spurs fail with Bale?

Options
  • 20-11-2008 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

From Martin Tyler's Sky column.

Martin. I'm a Spurs fan and I have a theory. The reason for our bad results had nothing to do with Juande Ramos. In fact, it has nothing to do with that clown of a goalkeeper we've got between the posts. I believe all of our problems can be attributed to one man - Gareth Bale. We were doing very nicely under Harry while he was out of the side but as soon as he comes back in against Fulham, we lose. I can't remember Spurs ever playing well while he has been in the team. Is he a jinx? Do the stats back me up on this? Sid
    MARTIN SAYS: The stats certainly do not make good reading for the Welshman. Remarkably, Tottenham have never won a Premier League game with Bale in the team - and considering Spurs is his first top-flight club that means he is still yet to win his first ever Premier League game. He only played eight Premier League games last season before suffering a long-term injury, of which Spurs lost four and drew four. He has already played nine times in the league this season, but is still yet to taste victory. The defeat to Fulham was his sixth loss of the season, Spurs having drawn the other three games in which he has played. Tottenham's games are certainly not dull when he's around. In the 17 games he has played in, Spurs have been involved in two 4-4 draws - the remarkable comebacks against Aston Villa last season and Arsenal this year. In fact, Spurs have scored 24 goals in those 17 games, but they have also conceded more than two per game with Bale in the side - having conceded 36 in those 17 games. For clarity, Tottenham's Premier League record when Gareth Bale has played is as follows: P17 W0 D7 L10 F24 A36 PTS 7. It is worth pointing out that Bale is no jinx when it comes to cup games. Spurs have only lost one of the nine cup games in which he has played - the 2-0 UEFA Cup defeat to Udinese earlier this season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Pretty accurate I'd say.

Of all the resurgent players, Modric, Bent, Bentley - Bale looks like he couldn't give a sh1t.

His form is very, very bad and I wouldn't have him anywhere near the first eleven personally.

Redknapp is gonna have to put the big money factors behind him and play the best eleven.

That means Bale out for me, likewise Gomes, Zokora and BAE - I wouldn't play any of those guys when we are second from bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Am I the only one who thinks that an article like this is zero helpful? I'm sure he's well aware that he hasn't won a game in the prem. Surely if he reads something like this its going to shread apart any little confidence he has left?

Remember his first couple of games with us some people where saying he was the second coming.

Now i'm sticking up for him his preformaces have been poor at best but I think other meaures should maybe be taken to address the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

What an absolute load of bollocks lads. The lad has'nt been great this season yes, but he is a star in the making. He has great potential and has a great left foot, something which we have been lacking for quite a while.
    To think some people are saying we should sell him is ludicrous.

It was'nt long ago that Sir Alex wanted him....have faith in the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Hatch99 wrote: »
    What an absolute load of bollocks lads. The lad has'nt been great this season yes, but he is a star in the making. He has great potential and has a great left foot, something which we have been lacking for quite a while.
    To think some people are saying we should sell him is ludicrous.

It was'nt long ago that Sir Alex wanted him....have faith in the lad.
    Agreed, give the lad a chance he's still very young.How come when he plays for Wales he always puts in a good performance. reporters will write about any fcukin thing on a slow day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i think bale is a good player but some of his performance in a spurs shirt have been below par for a player of his quality.

he is very young and needs time but can we afford to give him that time i dont know. if we loose all the time when he plays its not a good sign.

being an international he should be able to adapt better than he has at spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I see Redknapp agrees with me on Bale and Zokora, both on the bench today. Now if he'd see fit to leave BAE out too, I'd be happy ;)

Advertisement