Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Update ****ed My XBOX

• 20-11-2008 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

After todays update my xbox is constantly freezing other times I am getting the RROD and even one flashing red light.

The longest the console has been on without freezing is one minute lol. I know it was the update that caused the problem. I have had this 360 for 6 months with out problems and I keep it in a well ventilated area.

Is anyone else having problems after the update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I got one freeze on the dashboard a few mins ago but thats about it and it froze while playing Fallout 3 after I installed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Think I read a new story somewhere that Microsoft were gearing up for a load of expected RROD reports after the update..

.. could be wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

ah dam its rrod for good now :(. PS3 here I come. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Nope, no problems for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Yeah getting lots of freezes since the upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

1 freeze navigating menus in gears 2. had a rrod about a year ago but never such a freeze. wont be happy if it persists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

No problems since the update, had a decent session on it last night. <crosses fingers>

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lardossan

no probs after the update. played a fairly long tf2 session and no issues whatsoever. loving the install to disk option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

For all those people having problems, I think it would help if you said how old your xbox is so we see which machines are acting up.

Have yet to update mine - 2006 machine that's been sent away once- but I wouldn't be surprised if it kills it. It's been freezing over the last 2 weeks as it is.

• Advertisement

Mine is an Elite its my second 360, got it two months ago but its production date is September 07 so its an old 203W 360. Never had any freezes until the update, once on the dashboard while going through my friends list, the other was in game in Fallout 3 after I installed it.

A friend of mine has gotten 3 freeze ups in Fallout 3 since he installed it on his 4 month old Elite made in May 08, 175W 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

No problems here. RROD usualy happens after you play for some time. Turn of the console and start it again eg. next day or something. Happend to me with both 360's

andros wrote: »
    No problems here. RROD usualy happens after you play for some time. Turn of the console and start it again eg. next day or something. Happend to me with both 360's

Thats exactly how my first 360 RROD'd over a year ago, just turned it on after coming home from work on a Monday night and bam, no sign it was acting up and never ever froze on me it was a launch console and all. It was never right after it got repaired and kept on freezing and just got worse, I keep it as my backup 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Rainyface

Mines about 15 months old but had RROD this summer. Sent back about 4 months now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

RROD happens because MS rushed the design to lunch it before PS3. It mostly occure when console have enough time to cool down. During exesive heat period. Metal conections between CPU and/or GPU with motherboard are getting to liquidus state and mother board is getting warped because of the heat that causing displacement of CPU and/or GPU according to motherboard. All metal conection shrink when everything cool down giving you Error 74 or other form of our beloved RRoD

But probably every one knows that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Have had about 5 freezes since the update and I noticed that other peoples gamer pics are not updating. For instance was playing pool with one guy and his game pic was up fine but then the next player had the same gamer pic. (it was a avatar photo)

My 360 was bought Feb 07 and has been to Germany once back in Feb 08.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think that the freezes may have actually been due to so many people being online last night and huge changes being made to their online profiles etc. The system just got a bit confused and slowed things down a bit. The new dashboard has a lot more online features throughout the various pages so if the connection is a bit sluggish to the MS servers then occasionaly temporary freezes are not entirely unexpected. If it's doing the same over the next couple of days then there may be something in it, otherwise it was just becasue it was a bit busy accessing things online last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Launch day console. Mine is freeze in menus but only when I back out of the friends list. Apart from that it's been fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

god's toy wrote: »
    Launch day console. Mine is freeze in menus but only when I back out of the friends list. Apart from that it's been fine.

Have the exact same problem. Mine was bought summer '07. Apart from that no problems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a peculiar whirring sound first time I turned the console on after update, but played fine afterwards *touch wood*. A minor freeze at one point, but fixed itself after a few moments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

god's toy wrote: »

This happens me, when I look at a few people in a party together and click to view them, and then press the back button it goes back but then freeze's i can still press the xbox button and hear it make the sound but have to turn it off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I got a new 360 premium (60gig) last week (my old one died, and had been opened).

After applying the update I tried playing Fable 2 (which I rented for the week). The first 3 times I tried playing it it froze during the first 5 minutes. But I installed it, and I have not experienced the issue since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Lenny wrote: »
    This happens me, when I look at a few people in a party together and click to view them, and then press the back button it goes back but then freeze's i can still press the xbox button and hear it make the sound but have to turn it off..
    Did you try leaving it stand for a min? mine recovers if I do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I reckon this is more to do with the amount of people on live at the one time, MS said theyre "aware of the issue"

From major nelsons blog :

As you can imagine, it's been an incredible day so far for the New Xbox Experience. It's great to see so much enthusiasm…it sounds like you are having fun exploring NXE. With an update of this magnitude, reaching more than 14 million people around the globe, we are aware some of you may be experiencing a few hiccups along the way. The LIVE team is closely monitoring the LIVE service and Xbox.com and are aware of a few issues including what's happening with Marketplace. The team is actively working on the issues, so thanks for bearing with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Just sent mine off yesterday with my 2nd RROD. Looks like it happened at the right time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I have problems with freezing (twice) when scrolling across to see my other friends avatars, parties, etc. I think it froze when I was near the end of the list and started pressing left. One of my friends has had freezing with the same problem as me.

I think it comes back to life after 2 mins or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Installed the update. Copied Fallout to the HD. Got excited. Got RROD. Great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

no probs here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

So far so good. Installed all 5 of my games on too the HD last night, was worried it might be too much for the disc drive but no RROD. I love how it no longer makes that sound like its chewing on the disc as I play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

andros wrote: »
    RROD happens because MS rushed the design to lunch it before PS3. It mostly occure when console have enough time to cool down. During exesive heat period. Metal conections between CPU and/or GPU with motherboard are getting to liquidus state and mother board is getting warped because of the heat that causing displacement of CPU and/or GPU according to motherboard. All metal conection shrink when everything cool down giving you Error 74 or other form of our beloved RRoD

But probably every one knows that already.

Off topic:

Wasn't there a full year between the 360 and PS3 launch? I always thought the general concensus was that the RROD was due to poor design and insufficent testing....didn't think it was cause it was rushed.

Advertisement