Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colombia wants three republicans back in jail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

FTA69 wrote: »
    That's irrelevant. You're the one going on about justice and legal process etc, the men were already acquitted because the forensic evidence was proved to be ridiculously circumstantial and the "witnesses" who were paid touts, lying through their teeth tripped themselves up by stating they were with the men in Colombia when in reality they were back in Ireland.
    So the trial was a bit of a farce? So don't you think that maybe a re-trial is in order?
    I haven't a clue what they were doing to be honest, and neither do you to be honest.
    I've a pretty good idea. What do you think they were doing there?
    So what if they were training FARC guerrillas...
    Yeah, it's only criminal activity; who cares, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

djpbarry wrote: »
    Yeah, it's only criminal activity; who cares, eh?

And the Colombian government never takes part in criminal activity I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Sure they only wiped out afew dozen trade unionists on behalf of Coca Cola,all because the trade unionists wanted better working conditions and better pay,go forbid,the Columbian government,Farc,there are as bad as each other

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i have no sympathy for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

who gives a **** what Columbia wants?

• Advertisement

By that logic, it would be perfectly ok for me to pop over to Darfur to lob a few heads off with a machete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

in having Fianna Fail stand trial for the use of Ireland's airports in kidnapping suspects and torturing them in other countries. Yeah money does speak very loud in this country... Having lived in Colombia I can attest to the corruption of Colombia's rightwing government and its use of Bush and Brit funding...

Columbia can sulk all they want,the lads wont be going back there,I know Jim Monaghan,he is an honourable decent republican,and a lovely human being,he never had any intensions in any of his actions to hurt or kill innocent civillains,if anyone tries to ship him back there,they'll have a fight on thier hands

Irlbo wrote: »
    I know Jim Monaghan,he is an honourable decent republican,and a lovely human being,he never had any intensions in any of his actions to hurt or kill innocent civillains...
    ...he often volunteers at the local orphanage. He single-handedly built a school in Nicaragua. He volunteers himself to test suspected landmine sites. He's donated all of his blood and organs to those less fortunate. He dresses up as Santa every Christmas and entertains the patients at the local children’s' hospital. Blah, blah, blah...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Irlbo wrote: »
    Columbia can sulk all they want,the lads wont be going back there,I know Jim Monaghan,he is an honourable decent republican,and a lovely human being,he never had any intensions in any of his actions to hurt or kill innocent civillains,if anyone tries to ship him back there,they'll have a fight on thier hands

Was he training them for Olympic mortar shooting?

He's lovely and decent and nice as pie and might be the second coming, but you give an ominous warning should anyone try to send him back to face trial again? He sounds a dote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Was he training them for Olympic mortar shooting?

Nobody knows what he was there for.

They travelled on false passports,that was the only crime they can prove against them,otherwise it was just three Irishmen travelling through Columbia,who happened to be in a demilitarised zone,but thats not a crime,and they have no proof that they were doing otherwise,I dont blame them for using false passports,because of their past membership of the IRA and the jail sentences they recieved previous,I dont blame them for taking a risk,just so they could travel

...he often volunteers at the local orphanage. He single-handedly built a school in Nicaragua. He volunteers himself to test suspected landmine sites. He's donated all of his blood and organs to those less fortunate. He dresses up as Santa every Christmas and entertains the patients at the local children’s' hospital. Blah, blah, blah...

:rolleyes:

Cant say he's done any of the above,but he cares deeply about his country,the community he lives in,he has no malice in him,and is an all round sound guy,thats enough to tell me he's a decent skin

lets get real we all know why they went to colombia -and so do you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

getz wrote: »

Even if thats the case they were right to help a good cause.

Something to do with the FARC. Apart from that, its speculation.

No tell me why?and prove it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

So the trial was a bit of a farce? So don't you think that maybe a re-trial is in order?

Why? They were acquitted because the prosecution case was a shambles and all the evidence was, well, crap really. Why should they be tried again? Double Jeopardy?
    I've a pretty good idea. What do you think they were doing there?

Haven't a clue.

i am sure a large amount of cash was involved, so they dident go their just because they felt sorry for the drug runners in colombia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why? They were acquitted because the prosecution case was a shambles and all the evidence was, well, crap really. Why should they be tried again? Double Jeopardy?

the verdict was overturned, according to Columbian law, they are guilty of training terrorists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Even if thats the case they were right to help a good cause.

terrorism is a good cause is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

who the f*ck are the Colombians to be pontificating about international justice when their army is collaborating with right-wing paramilitaries and murdering defenceless Indians

Parallels of Sinn Fein's early days in Government there......

They travelled on false passports; no-one does that unless they're up to no good. And SERIOUS no good at that.

I don't even see why this is in a "politics" forum; it is (or rather, should be) a justice/legal issue. The only political angle would be if our scummy Government did actually do some covert deal to appease Sinn Fein.

Otherwise it's purely a "why doesn't Ireland respect the interpol warrant ?", and TBH given the FF dilly-dallying over Shannon's abuse by Bush (amazingly finally indicating some level of agreement to searches the day Obama was elected) I'm not particularly surprised that they're ignoring international law and requirements.....

In one way, I have to laugh at the irony, though; they were SO anxious to get to Columbia in the first place, getting false passports, maybe we should remind them of that......and then tell them they should be glad that we're sending them there again at no cost and without the hassle of getting false passports!

Oh - P.S. OP, your thread title is odd; whether or not they're "republicans" (even dodgy ones) is irrelevant.

The issue is whether or not they are criminals (over and beyond the obvious "yes" because of their passport preferences).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Otherwise it's purely a "why doesn't Ireland respect the interpol warrant ?", and TBH given the FF dilly-dallying over Shannon's abuse by Bush (amazingly finally indicating some level of agreement to searches the day Obama was elected) I'm not particularly surprised that they're ignoring international law and requirements.....

Because there is no extradiction treaty, for the umpteenth time what would be the point in arresting them when you can't extradict them?

FF,
    the verdict was overturned, according to Columbian law, they are guilty of training terrorists

So after the prosecution had entirely discredited themselves, the verdict was just overturned. "I know ye were acquitted lads but sorry, we've decided to find ye guilty anyway". What an absolute joke.
    terrorism is a good cause is it?

I'd have more sympathy for FARC than I would the Colombian government.

what would be the point in arresting them when you can't extradict them?
    Shouldn't they at the very least be jailed for using fake passports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Oh - P.S. OP, your thread title is odd; whether or not they're "republicans" (even dodgy ones) is irrelevant.

The issue is whether or not they are criminals (over and beyond the obvious "yes" because of their passport preferences).

I see your point and agree. I was just using the title from the article.

They travelled to Columbia on false passports,they were arested and charged,and accused of training terrorists,they served their time(and then some for false passports),and were aquitted,they came home,the Columbian government is sore about it,so what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Send em back & chuck away the key.

Camelot wrote: »

Their going nowhere,Id love to send all the unionists back to Britain

• Advertisement

Camelot wrote: »

.....the return ticket, to be more accurate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement