Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colombia wants three republicans back in jail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

FTA69 wrote: »
    Because there is no extradiction treaty, for the umpteenth time what would be the point in arresting them when you can't extradict them?

FF,

So after the prosecution had entirely discredited themselves, the verdict was just overturned. "I know ye were acquitted lads but sorry, we've decided to find ye guilty anyway". What an absolute joke.

I'd have more sympathy for FARC than I would the Colombian government.

This man speaks the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Shouldn't they at the very least be jailed for using fake passports ?

They already served time in a columbian jail for the false passports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Irlbo wrote: »
    Their going nowhere,Id love to send all the unionists back to Britain

ALL the unionists ???

Whatever about these 3 criminals and whether or not they've served the correct time for their false passports crime (and whatever else they were up to), what relevance does this discussion have to people who haven't committed any crimes ?

I'd love if ALL the IRA and UVF bombers and bank-robbers and killers were still in prison, and if Bush was locked up for war crimes, but that's not relevant either.
    They already served time in a columbian jail for the false passports
    Guess that's fair enough, so. Not sure if a conviction and jailing for having them covers the "why the hell did you have them", but the law's the law and they've served their time.

If the trial was indeed a fiasco - ironically a viewpoint offered mostly by their supporters - maybe they should be sent back for a proper one, but to some extent the "innocent until proven guilty" applies. Not as much as to a COMPLETELY innocent person, along the lines that if someone was arrested for having a semi-automatic on the street there should be at least SOME question over why they had it and what they intended to do with it, even if they didn't actually DO it, but at face value they've served their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Surely Ireland is expected to honour an interpol arrest warrant?

Give a reason why it should? I'm sure there's plenty of other cases not only these men.
    There may only be circumstantial evidence in their case, but there is a hell of a lot of it. Why were they there under false passports,

You were told already for a sex holiday they left their passports at home so their partners wouldn't find out :D
    why did they illegally abscond from the country.

I doubt facing maybe 20 years in jail would have anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Shouldn't they at the very least be jailed for using fake passports ?

They already served time for that via remand in La Modelo jail.

• Advertisement

Hellm0 wrote: »
    This man speaks the truth.

Darn tootin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

terrorism is a good cause is it?

I think you'll find that the main Terrorists in Columbia work for the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Irlbo wrote: »
    Their going nowhere,Id love to send all the unionists back to Britain

What the hell do you mean? 1690 wasn't yesterday. Do you not get that it's always been a British Ulster? Many people there consider themselves British? Do you think the EU should delete Portugal because it's landlocked to Spain?

"Dublin's a Viking City, anyone who's not of Norse descent should go home"

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Don't feed the troll, he's banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Colombia couldn't even convict them in a fixed unfair trial....

they were acquitted under any standard in use in Ireland , or any recognized legal system...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

Looks like some posters here, would still like to have the Birmingham 6 the Maguires and others that were jailed by dubious courts,
    sent back to jail just to suit there anti Republican prejudices.

TOMASJ wrote: »
    Looks like some posters here, would still like to have the Birmingham 6 the Maguires and others that were jailed by dubious courts,
    sent back to jail just to suit there anti Republican prejudices.

Anyone who has pro Republican views never really seem to last long and it amazes me but I'm guessing most who type aren't even from Ireland, the IRA klling someone is wrong, but yet when you talk about thing's like Aidan McAnespie been murdered we're told to move on and just forget everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm guessing most who type aren't even from Ireland

I'd bet a lot of money that you're wrong. I find militant republicans seem to have an extremely deluded view of the amount of support the IRA campaign actually has among Irish people. Any time there's widespread outrage at it, you get that same stupid comment that "shur most of them probably aren't even Irish!" Fact is, the Irish people do not and didn't support the IRA. Deal with that and move on.
    the IRA klling someone is wrong, but yet when you talk about thing's like Aidan McAnespie been murdered we're told to move on and just forget everything.

Actually, I believe the general concensus on that one was that if you want your own killers running free thanks to the GFA, you have to accept that the same is due the other side as well. Nobody said it wasn't wrong, but they do object to you calling for trials and judgements when you call for Jerry McCabe's murderers to be let out under the GFA ten seconds later.

It would be really nice if we could keep this on-topic rather than spiralling into the usual morass that republican threads tend to descend into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Give a reason why it should? I'm sure there's plenty of other cases not only these men.
    so we should ignore Interpol, or only use it when it suits us?

You were told already for a sex holiday they left their passports at home so their partners wouldn't find out :D
    which, tbh, is the most believeable reason I have heard so far:D
    I think you'll find that the main Terrorists in Columbia work for the state.
    and Sinn Fein councillors are allowed to decide the lesser of two evils? there have been a considerable number of car bombs planted by the FARC, that too makes them terrorists in my book
    Looks like some posters here, would still like to have the Birmingham 6 the Maguires and others that were jailed by dubious courts, sent back to jail just to suit there anti Republican prejudices.

that is a completely different set of circumstances, but on the subject and seeing as Sinn Fein and the IRA has an unending search for justice, maybe they could have handed over the real bombers, that would have got them out of prison a lot quicker.

Well yes, that's about it. Unless you want to be sent to China because you made a posting against their government on boards.

We should only send people to countries where they will get a fair trail and fail treatment.

There is a reason why we don't have an extradition treaty with Columbia.

Judging by your post FF, you seem absolutely impervious to logic.

I'm after saying God knows how many times on this thread already, Ireland has no extradiction treaty with Colombia. None. Therefore the men can't be rounded up and shipped off. If they did happen to arrest the men, they couldn't send them back anyway.

Besides, no Irish citizens should be sent off to die in order to appease the Vice President of some right-wing rogue state in South America.
    and Sinn Fein councillors are allowed to decide the lesser of two evils?

Which Sinn Féin councillor is deciding which is the lesser of two evils? Anyone with a brain in their head can see the Colombian state and military is hopelessly corrupt and up to its neck in drugs and state terrorism.
    that is a completely different set of circumstances, but on the subject and seeing as Sinn Fein and the IRA has an unending search for justice, maybe they could have handed over the real bombers, that would have got them out of prison a lot quicker.

More silly talk. The IRA released a number of statements declaring both sets of people had nothing to do with the Republican Movement. Blaming the IRA because the justice system in Britain framed 10 people (allowing one to die in prison) is disingeniuos to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Maybe in your dimension. Here, some preferred not to face the "appalling vista".
    "Balcome wrote:
    The four were found guilty at their Old Bailey trial in 1977 of seven murders, conspiring to cause explosions, and falsely imprisoning John and Sheila Matthews during the siege. O’Connell, Butler and Duggan each received twelve life sentences with Doherty receiving eleven. The men were later subjected each to a whole life tariff, the only IRA prisoners to do so.[2][5]
    During their trial they instructed their lawyers to "draw attention to the fact that four totally innocent people were serving massive sentences" for three bombings in Woolwich and Guildford.[6] Despite claims to the police that they were responsible [6] they were never charged with these offences and the Guildford Four and Maguire Seven remained in prison. One (Giuseppe Conlon) died in jail and the rest were released fifteen years later after it was determined that their convictions were unsafe. [7]
    (My bold)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balcombe_Street_Gang

Judging by your post FF, you seem absolutely impervious to logic.

I'm after saying God knows how many times on this thread already, Ireland has no extradiction treaty with Colombia. None. Therefore the men can't be rounded up and shipped off. If they did happen to arrest the men, they couldn't send them back anyway.

Besides, no Irish citizens should be sent off to die in order to appease the Vice President of some right-wing rogue state in South America.

so where is the due process? where is the official statements supporting your assumptions? if there is an official request to return fugitives then surely the Irish government is obliged to respond, not just put their head in the sand and ignore it. Whether or not these men are guilty, or should be returned, the way the irish government has handled this has been shocking.
    Which Sinn Féin councillor is deciding which is the lesser of two evils? Anyone with a brain in their head can see the Colombian state and military is hopelessly corrupt and up to its neck in drugs and state terrorism.
    err, the one that got arrested. I've got a brain thankyou, one which I use entirely free from political indoctrination. You should try it sometime. [edit] ok, just checked and it appears they were "Party Workers" who some how were not members of the party. Isn't it nice that three unrelated, innocent people should decide to visit Bogota just to "Observe" the peace process. I wonder who paid for the trip?[edit]
    More silly talk. The IRA released a number of statements declaring both sets of people had nothing to do with the Republican Movement. Blaming the IRA because the justice system in Britain framed 10 people (allowing one to die in prison) is disingeniuos to be honest.

Oh. well, if the IRA said they didn't do it, then that's ok I suppose? why did they not hand over evidence to show who the real cuprits were? surely standing idly by and letting innocent people rot in prison is just as bad as those who framed them in the first place?

so where is the due process? where is the official statements supporting your assumptions? if there is an official request to return fugitives then surely the Irish government is obliged to respond, not just put their head in the sand and ignore it. Whether or not these men are guilty, or should be returned, the way the irish government has handled this has been shocking.

Which part of "No extradition treaty" don't you understand ?

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote: »
    Which part of "No extradition treaty" don't you understand ?

as far as I understand it, no treaty simply means that the irish government is not obliged to extradite, not that it can't. Maybe you could show me otherwise as you appear to be the expert.

as far as I understand it, no treaty simply means that the irish government is not obliged to extradite, not that it can't. Maybe you could show me otherwise as you appear to be the expert.

From :http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/arrests/extradition_to_and_from_Ireland

In general, extradition is only possible if there is an extradition agreement between the two countries in question.

This means that Ireland must have an agreement with the other country before someone can be extradited to or from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oh. well, if the IRA said they didn't do it, then that's ok I suppose? why did they not hand over evidence to show who the real cuprits were? surely standing idly by and letting innocent people rot in prison is just as bad as those who framed them in the first place?

They confessed to it, if you'd care to read post 79.

I'd bet a lot of money that you're wrong. I find militant republicans seem to have an extremely deluded view of the amount of support the IRA campaign actually has among Irish people. Any time there's widespread outrage at it, you get that same stupid comment that "shur most of them probably aren't even Irish!" Fact is, the Irish people do not and didn't support the IRA. Deal with that and move on.

Actually, I believe the general concensus on that one was that if you want your own killers running free thanks to the GFA, you have to accept that the same is due the other side as well. Nobody said it wasn't wrong, but they do object to you calling for trials and judgements when you call for Jerry McCabe's murderers to be let out under the GFA ten seconds later.

I'd gladly bet money on it, more people who are from UK/USA seem to think they know better.

I do except that the killer of Aiden is free and always will be that wasn't my point, when bloddy Sunday happened we were made believe that these people were bombers and attempting to throw bombs, bombs were placed on them it just shows what they done. I just believe the truth should be told just like I believe the IRA should admit to who they kind killed and where the bodies are buried.

The Irish people didn't support the IRA? Can you tell me how many people went to protest at the British embassy when the doors were blown off? How many people went to Bobby Sands funeral? I think it's safe to say alot more than will to yours.

As to McCabe yes I believe he should be let out, there's only one left in jail and he's going to be out anyways what he done was wrong but they have done their time in jail unlike some.

Are you even aware of the fact that the man who was to blame for the Birmingham bomb admitted to the bombings and actually was in jail and the British government knew this but still kept them in jail? Their only crime, been Irish.

Did I stutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

[quote=Fratton Fred;58014268
    ]so where is the due process? where is the official statements supporting your assumptions? if there is an official request to return fugitives then surely the Irish government is obliged to respond, not just put their head in the sand and ignore it. Whether or not these men are guilty, or should be returned, the way the irish government has handled this has been shocking.
    Probably took there cue from your fellow country men,
    re Mark Thatcher the son of former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher in connection with a failed plot to overthrow Equatorial Guinea's president,
    couldn't have an important guy like him in court now could we, but those Irish boys well doesn't matter about their rights.

Why? I think they handled it spot on to be honest, they don't have to justify themselves to the likes of Colombia.
    err, the one that got arrested. I've got a brain thankyou, one which I use entirely free from political indoctrination. You should try it sometime.

Well at least I make the effort to actually have a clue about the topic at hand before flying off with indignation.

Again, you're entirely ignorant of the facts at hand.

To be honest I feel this debate has run its course.

jhegarty wrote: »
    From :http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/arrests/extradition_to_and_from_Ireland

In general, extradition is only possible if there is an extradition agreement between the two countries in question.

This means that Ireland must have an agreement with the other country before someone can be extradited to or from Ireland.

OK, so ireland has rules over and above the general extradition agreements. its unusual because for terrorist offences there doesn't usually need to be an extradition treaty in place. Maybe that is why Ireland has got so much grief over the whole thing
    Probably took there cue from your fellow country men, re Mark Thatcher the son of former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher in connection with a failed plot to overthrow Equatorial Guinea's president, couldn't have an important guy like him in court now could we, but those Irish boys well doesn't matter about their rights.

what has that got to do with anything:confused:

Why? I think they handled it spot on to be honest, they don't have to justify themselves to the likes of Colombia.

To be honest I feel this debate has run its course.

OK, maybe it has run its course, so let me sum up.

Three members of SF/IRA go to Columbia under false passports. They spend several weeks the drug producing capital of the world with an outlawed rebel organisation. An activity which is linked by US congress to ongoing IRA involvement with international terrorism.

They are arrested and SF wash their hands of them saying that they are no longer party members, although it turns out later that they are (Apologies, I thought one was a councillor, my bad I should have realised one was actually SF's official representative in Cuba).

Aforementioned SF/IRA members claim they were "Monitoring the Peace process" but for whom no one knows, because they don't belong to a political party:confused:

They are convicted of training rebel terrorists (using dubious evidence) and travelling under false passports. They decide to ignore the convictions and leave the country returning to Ireland where, although not members of SF, the SF leader treats them like heros.

So, we have three convicted terrorists and members of an organisation linked to organised crime and drug dealing, who travel illegally to the drug producing capital of the world, returning back to Ireland and we all wonder why it is that Ireland has such a big drugs problem and witnesses involved in gangland criminal cases are being intimidated by the use of pipe bombs. Go figure.

I'm not worried about justifying their actions to the columbian government, I am more worried about the fact that these guys are walking around like republican heros in a country where I am bringing up a family. Why is it the entire country thinks these guys are as guilty of trading bomb making expertise for drugs or money except SF supporters?

Maybe if someone knows otherwise they could shed some light on the matter, which, incidentally, has nothing to do with Guildford, Equitorial guinnea or the death of Aiden McAnespie.

• Advertisement

OK, so ireland has rules over and above the general extradition agreements. its unusual because for terrorist offences there doesn't usually need to be an extradition treaty in place. Maybe that is why Ireland has got so much grief over the whole thing

what has that got to do with anything:confused:

OK, maybe it has run its course, so let me sum up.

Three members of SF/IRA go to Columbia under false passports. They spend several weeks the drug producing capital of the world with an outlawed rebel organisation. An activity which is linked by US congress to ongoing IRA involvement with international terrorism.

They are arrested and SF wash their hands of them saying that they are no longer party members, although it turns out later that they are (Apologies, I thought one was a councillor, my bad I should have realised one was actually SF's official representative in Cuba).

Aforementioned SF/IRA members claim they were "Monitoring the Peace process" but for whom no one knows, because they don't belong to a political party:confused:

They are convicted of training rebel terrorists (using dubious evidence) and travelling under false passports. They decide to ignore the convictions and leave the country returning to Ireland where, although not members of SF, the SF leader treats them like heros.

So, we have three convicted terrorists and members of an organisation linked to organised crime and drug dealing, who travel illegally to the drug producing capital of the world, returning back to Ireland and we all wonder why it is that Ireland has such a big drugs problem and witnesses involved in gangland criminal cases are being intimidated by the use of pipe bombs. Go figure.

I'm not worried about justifying their actions to the columbian government, I am more worried about the fact that these guys are walking around like republican heros in a country where I am bringing up a family. Why is it the entire country thinks these guys are as guilty of trading bomb making expertise for drugs or money except SF supporters?

Maybe if someone knows otherwise they could shed some light on the matter, which, incidentally, has nothing to do with Guildford, Equitorial guinnea or the death of Aiden McAnespie.

Oh so now they were paid in drugs? :rolleyes:

You really are a joke ain't ya.

You've been asked loads of times where are you from? Because on everything you talk about it seems your either a loyalist or from England.

The men are safely at home where they belong end of story they ain't gonig back, they helped them build barrack busters, that's want you want to hear? Fine there you go now get over it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement