Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question about insurance under a named driver.

Options
  • 20-11-2008 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok lads, sorry if this has been posted before but if it has the search function didnt point me tword it.

Anyway, passed my theory test last year but only collected my provisional recently.I didnt really see the point as I had no funds to go after a car anyway(in hindsight a really really stupid move i know). Ive now seen the error in my ways and it looks like i have 6 months of lessons ahead of me before i get my full licence.

Anyway getting to the point of my post, Can someone please understand in plain english the mechanics of going under say my fathers insurance as a named driver. Of all the people ive asked ive been told conflicting information, same with various sources on the net. The only constant that remains is that itl make my insurance a hell of a lot cheaper(as my dads 60 with no claims for years).

Mainly concerned if this will raise his own insurance on his car by much, and does he have to be the legal owner of the vehicle for him to put me down as a named driver, and how one would go about doing this, as well as the legality of it all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I started off under my dads Insurance. He had his own car so he switched my mother to the main driver and his as named on hers allowing him to become the policy holder on my car with me as the named driver.

It was 1200(or close) instead of around 2500 so it was a good saving. Years ago though Hibernian would not recognise named driver experience even if it was with their own company.

They do now so you are lucky.

Get your dad to make all the calls for data protection reasons and make sure he has all the drivers license details.

BTW, when my mother went onto my fathers policy she had 8 years less experience so they had to pay an extra £140 which I had to give them. I still saved around £1000 though so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Patricide wrote: »
    Ok lads, sorry if this has been posted before but if it has the search function didnt point me tword it.

Anyway, passed my theory test last year but only collected my provisional recently.I didnt really see the point as I had no funds to go after a car anyway(in hindsight a really really stupid move i know). Ive now seen the error in my ways and it looks like i have 6 months of lessons ahead of me before i get my full licence.

Anyway getting to the point of my post, Can someone please understand in plain english the mechanics of going under say my fathers insurance as a named driver. Of all the people ive asked ive been told conflicting information, same with various sources on the net. The only constant that remains is that itl make my insurance a hell of a lot cheaper(as my dads 60 with no claims for years).

Mainly concerned if this will raise his own insurance on his car by much, and does he have to be the legal owner of the vehicle for him to put me down as a named driver, and how one would go about doing this, as well as the legality of it all.

Are you going on his current insurance or getting him to insure your car for you thus him having 2 policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

BTW, when my mother went onto my fathers policy she had 8 years less experience so they had to pay an extra £140 which I had to give them. I still saved around £1000 though so happy days.

Thats odd. When I was starting to learn with absolutely no experience, I was put as a named driver on my wifes policy (about 10 years experience). It REDUCED her policy by 100 by having me on it even though I had never driven!
    Wonder how in your case the policy went UP in the same situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It went up for my parents because it was:

Policy holder was my father and my mother with less experience was named. My mother then became the policy holder with my father as the named driver so the price went up because she was less experienced as the main driver.

My father took out insurance on my car and put me as named driver so I would not have to pay soo much.

Hibernian were ass's back in the late 90's on pricing. I later moved from hibernian to one direct even though one direct sell me a hibernian policy they are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

If you want to get insured as a named driver under your father the vehicle has to be put into your fathers name, which is straight forward to do.

Thing is if you can only use a no claims bonus on one vehicle, so if your father wants to keep his own car insured, he wont have a bonus to put on the policy for himself and you(named) so in theory it will end being almost the same price as it would be for yourself (nil bonus).

If your father has been a named driver on say your mothers policy and can get a letter of driving experience, he can use that to take out a policy with you as a named driver for a much cheaper premium especially if he has been named for 5 or more years because some companies will give an introductory no claims bonus.

This will not have any effect on his other policy whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ah makes sense, so i could be wrong here and feel free to tell me if I am but would it not work out a lot cheaper if he transferred his no claims bonus over to say my car(which would still be under his name) then my insurance would be a lot cheaper. Then he loses his no claims bonus on his own car but as hes so old and has been a fully licenced driver for so long his insurance would be cheap as chips anyway right or wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Patricide wrote: »
    Ah makes sense, so i could be wrong here and feel free to tell me if I am but would it not work out a lot cheaper if he transferred his no claims bonus over to say my car(which would still be under his name) then my insurance would be a lot cheaper. Then he loses his no claims bonus on his own car but as hes so old and has been a fully licenced driver for so long his insurance would be cheap as chips anyway right or wrong?

It all depends on what car you have and what car he has. But if your father hasn't had a crash or claim in the last 5 years then he has a full NCB. If he transfers this to your car and goes for a new policy on his own car it'll be around twice what he's paying now for his new policy assuming he had a 50%NCB.

Have you checked how much it'll cost for you to have your own policy? Insurance prices have come down a lot since the bad old days and you'd also have the added benefit of having you own NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea? I think il shop around and see how much im being quoted for these days so. Thanks for all the help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Worth remembering that in the event of an accident or claim, insurance companies take a dim view of situations where the policyholder is not the main driver, especially where this has been done for the purposes of reducing premiums. They are not stupid. So if you are going to be driving the car most of the time, you are better off having the policy in your own name. Becoming a named driver on a parents policy is fine when you are learning to drive in their car as the parent is still the main driver. Once you have your own car, get your own policy and start building up your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Father would have to own your car. switch his policy to it, get you named on it. Then get mother to take out policy on his existing car with him named. He could still be the owner of his existing car cause the insured can be owner or spouse.
    HOWEVER, when doing this, you are declaring that he is the main driver. If that is not true, you really arent properly insured although half the young population of ireland were insured like this.
    If for example during a claim, the insurance co. got the idea that it was in fact mainly used by the named driver, they could refuse to pay certain parts of the claim although they are bound to pay out on all damages to other parties even if you clearly told them lies & were drunk & stoned & blind & had no license & couldnt drive etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Sorry to bump an old thread but need an answer. I'm a learner driver and recently got insured on my mother's car. The question I want answered is can I take the car out myself without having either of my parents with me (who are both on the policy)? I know that because I'm a learner driver I must have someone with a full licence with me at all times when I'm driving but does that person have to be my mother or father because they own the car and it's their policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

glenjamin wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread but need an answer. I'm a learner driver and recently got insured on my mother's car. The question I want answered is can I take the car out myself without having either of my parents with me (who are both on the policy)? I know that because I'm a learner driver I must have someone with a full licence with me at all times when I'm driving but does that person have to be my mother or father because they own the car and it's their policy?

No. It can be any full licenced driver who held full B licence for at least 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Is that a definite? Does it matter about where insurance the policy is with or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Is that a definite? Does it matter about where insurance the policy is with or anything?

You will know your definite answer after reading your insurance policy throughly.
    But I haven't heard yet about any insurance company limiting accompanying drivers to policy holders (or parent).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, its definite. The law about you not driving unaccompanied doesn't haven't anything to do with who the insurance policy is with. You can drive with anyone as long as they have held a full B license for at least 2 years. However, if you go out with someone who is not your parents, and you get into a situation that you don't feel comfortable driving in, they can not take over and do the driving for you as they won't be insured to drive the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Only insurance company I've heard of having such a rule is Aviva, and that's only with their lessons + free 6 month insurance deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You've been posting here long enough to not drag up a 4 year old thread tbh!

I should have your answer now anyway, but if not start a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement