Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Doorbell

Options
  • 20-11-2008 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a byron doorbell yesterday and having wires hanging out of the wall in my new home I figured it would be easy but Im lost for words.

There are four wires inside the house. There are two with two wires in each. They are the wires that you can easily pull apart.

Outside the house there is only one wire(or two if you pull them apart.

RTFM will not work here as its only pictures reffering to either three wires or two wires.

Can anybody help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Youve got 2 twin cables at the hall you prob need to join a wire from each together that leaves 2 wires to connect to the bell

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

davelerave wrote: »
    Youve got 2 twin cables at the hall you prob need to join a wire from each together that leaves 2 wires to connect to the bell

Does one of those twin wires go to my power meaning I dont need the batteries?

I dont know if I have power for the unit. Builder is no longer on development having gone bust so I cannot ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Bought a byron doorbell yesterday and having wires hanging out of the wall in my new home I figured it would be easy but Im lost for words.

There are four wires inside the house. There are two with two wires in each. They are the wires that you can easily pull apart.

Outside the house there is only one wire(or two if you pull them apart.

RTFM will not work here as its only pictures reffering to either three wires or two wires.

Can anybody help?

Is there a bell trafo in your distribution board?

Did you purchase a battery powered bell?

Have you fitted the bell push button to the wires outside the house?

From what i can gather you purchased a battery powered bell... you should only need to use the 2 wires going to the outside to the push button.

Have you tried putting batteries in the bell & shorting out the terminals on the bell shown in the picture for the 2 wire set-up, with a bit of wire?

If you post a picture of the wiring diagram or a link to the user manual, we'll be better able to advise you.

Is there a bell trafo in your distribution board?

Did you purchase a battery powered bell?

Have you fitted the bell push button to the wires outside the house?

From what i can gather you purchased a battery powered bell... you should only need to use the 2 wires going to the outside to the push button.

Have you tried putting batteries in the bell & shorting out the terminals on the bell shown in the picture for the 2 wire set-up, with a bit of wire?

If you post a picture of the wiring diagram or a link to the user manual, we'll be better able to advise you.

I dont know what a traffo is.

I bought the following link

http://www.chbyron.eu/admin/pdfs/765%20manual.pdf its either or, it can be battery or elec. I would prefer to use elec if possible.

Here is the link again. Its a different poxy diagram to the one that came in the box though. The one in the box has about 10 different set-ups, a couple for for "T", whatever that is. The rest are for using the battery or using more than on bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I dont know what a traffo is.

Right Based on your "I dont know what a traffo is" it might be advisable to go for a battery setup first. Then if you have an electrican in doing some job in the future get him to install / hook up the bell trafo.

Battery Setup:-
    1)You need to correctly identify the bell wire going to the front door
    2) So for battery setup, put in batteries and connect the push button at the front door to terminals 3 & 4, and your done! You should be able to test this by shorting terminals 3 & 4 and the bell should ring!

Mains setup:-
    1) You need to identify if you have a bell trafo in your board ( take a pic and post here, we can tell you that).
    2) If you don't have a bell trafo, you need to get someone to install one! ( i would guess you do have one as you said there's 2 sets of bell wires ).
    3) You need to identify which pair of wires are going to the front door and which pair are going to the bell trafo.
    4) Connect the wires from the front door push to terminals marked 1 & 3
    5) Connect the wires from the transformer to terminals marked 2 & 3

Note:- When running off the bell trafo your bell needs 8V, you'll need to get someone who knows their way around a fuse board to verify that this is the case.

• Advertisement

Right Based on your "I dont know what a traffo is" it might be advisable to go for a battery setup first. Then if you have an electrican in doing some job in the future get him to install / hook up the bell trafo.

Battery Setup:-
    1)You need to correctly identify the bell wire going to the front door
    2) So for battery setup, put in batteries and connect the push button at the front door to terminals 3 & 4, and your done! You should be able to test this by shorting terminals 3 & 4 and the bell should ring!

Mains setup:-
    1) You need to identify if you have a bell trafo in your board ( take a pic and post here, we can tell you that).
    2) If you don't have a bell trafo, you need to get someone to install one! ( i would guess you do have one as you said there's 2 sets of bell wires ).
    3) You need to identify which pair of wires are going to the front door and which pair are going to the bell trafo.
    4) Connect the wires from the front door push to terminals marked 1 & 3
    5) Connect the wires from the transformer to terminals marked 2 & 3

Note:- When running off the bell trafo your bell needs 8V, you'll need to get someone who knows their way around a fuse board to verify that this is the case.

Ok I have done that through the battery way and it works. Batteries cost 10 poxy Euro which is why I didnt want to if I could do it the other way.

By doing this I realised which were the front door bell wires but I still do not know what the others are. I have looked at the circuit board and if this helps without a picture.
    Going along from 1 - 19

1 - rcd
    2- rcd
    3 upstairs sockets
    4 - kitchen sockets, utility ( ring main)
    5 lving room & hall sockets
    6 Immersion
    13 main fuse 63a
    14 main fuse
    15 upstairs light & smoke detectors
    16 downstairs lights & heating
    17 cooker
    18 shower
    19 shower

There is nothing else.

Advertisement