Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Network Virtualisation

• 20-11-2008 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

what is the best way to set up virtual server on a network. im using virtualbox

Would I set it up on my current server and run e.g two virtual servers off that? like a file and DNS server along with the DC.

any ideas welcomed
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

abakan wrote: »
    Hi all,

what is the best way to set up virtual server on a network. im using virtualbox

Would I set it up on my current server and run e.g two virtual servers off that? like a file and DNS server along with the DC.

any ideas welcomed
    cheers

This might be more suitable for the Linux or Windows forum, I can move it over to one of them if you wish?

To answer your question yes you could install Virtual Box on your current server and then create a number of guest operating systems to do whatever you want. E.g. you could have a Windows 2003 server and have it running 2 Linux VMs that provide DNS and DHCP to your network.

More information on what exactly you want to do and your setup would probably help people provide better answers to your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

ok,

I am going to restructure the backend of a small office. there are 11 people and they want upgrade using virtualware cause they heard it was cheaper than buying hardware boxes.

there are 3 different departments sales, finance and technicial.

With one of the old servers, I might just keep that as a DC and run a virtual DHCP,DNS server on that.
    on another server I will have a file server and exchange server running virtually.

for the AD, ill just import all the groups over and have the task of transfering all the data the file server etc

what you think of this set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

You could use VMware ESXi if your server supports it. Then virtualise your existing servers using VMware converter. They're both free.

Advertisement