Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i get him company? (cont.)

Options
  • 20-11-2008 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    Some time ago I posted a thread asking about your opinion of getting a second dog. Woofie is a rescue with the past of abuse, we worked very hard with him in the past year and a half to get him out of his shell and enjoy life and he is finally a happy and full of life doggie. As we are working full time we decided it was time to get him a friend to be with when we are in work ( the dogs have access to a secured garden during the day). I expressed concerns that although woof seems to be getting on with other dogs whenever we met them, he is quite possesive of his house, toys, food and territorial. Many of you advice to go ahead ( with some precautions and preparations) and get another one. We got Sasha from Wicklow SPCA, walked them together a few times before taking her home (the staff were great in helping us to find a dog that would suit). It was heart breaking for me to pick one dog as there are so many of them there deserving a second chance. But there she was- a bag of bones wagging her tail! No barking, no jumping, just happy to see us. Young, skinny, so cute. Rescued by SPCA on her last day in pound. She' s been with us for 4 days now. Eating well (find it so hard to feed her only once a day coz she is so thin), house training is going well, letting the lucifer to be the boss (for the moment i guess). Despite her great character Woofie has been very snappy over toys, food and blanket in fornt of the fire, but every day things seem to be better and hopefully soon they will be bff (best friends forever). The only thing that worries me is her constant diarrohea ( i guess its the change in diet, if it doesnt stop in a few days, we are going to the vet) and she seems to be ''coughing'' at night a lot. BUt otherwise very happy, curious girl. Thanks for all your advice guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭littlemisspiggy

Dogs often have diarrhoea after coming out of rescue - just all the trauma they've been through I think. You could try boiling some chicken and rice for her for a day or two then gradually add her dog food to it until it's only dog food by the end of a week. I always do this with any fosters I have. Also you should try feeding her half her food twice a day instead of one big meal until her stomach settles down.

Edited to say - congrats on your new addition. I'm sure the two of them will soon be best friends. They just need a week or two to adjust to having each other around and sort out their boundaries between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

I remember! Congrats on the new addition!! I'm delighted for ye :D

I'd second littlemisspiggy's advice.
    Both need time to adjust.

The diahrroea could be from a complete change of food as well. When changing food, its usually advised to mix with the old, lessening the portions until the dog is completely on the new food, but I'm guessing that wasnt possible with you.

I'd also agree with halfing the daily amount and feeding her twice a day. If she's gone without food for so long (since you said she was skin and bone) her stomach might not be big enough to handle a full meal completely either so two meals would help her digest it without her getting too full.

You could try starving her for 24 hrs and then feeding her on rice and chicken ... but its understandable if you don't want to starve her for 24 hrs ;)

When was her last worming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

For now, I would remove any items that woofie is likely to be possessive of - especially toys and treats. You can re-introduce them at a later stage and always give them one each.

I would also take up woofie's food bowl after he has eaten and not leave it on the floor with some of his left-overs in it, as he will be guarding this against the new comer too.

Don't lavish the new dog with attention in woofie's presence - save it for when he is out of the room. Keep your interactions with the new dog very calm and low-key.

If she is coughing a lot, she may have kennel cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

PICS! Or we're not helping!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Glowing wrote: »
    PICS! Or we're not helping!!! :D

Will post some pictures tomorro! At the mo my man is boiling a chicken and rice and both scamps are standing in the kitchen sniffing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

I remember you and I'm delighted to hear you've found a playmate for Woofie.
    Just give it time and they will both find their place. It actually sounds like things are going very well and that period of adjustment is normal.
    Does she have her own bed? I would mention again about always petting Woofie first, feeding him first, putting him on the lead first etc, so he doesn't feel threatened by your new arrival. Congratulations. Double the fun!

Post pictures up soon. :)

Advertisement