Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Be Too Pretty?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Pity they are ideals that only make sense in a fantasy world. Unfortunatly in the real world looks matter. A 'stunner' can always develop a character but an ugly person will always be ugly.

You are missing my point. I've been in the company of people considered to be less than attractive and have found them becoming more and more appealing as I grew to like them more. Not in a fantasy world. Here, in this one.

Ugliness to me is something that a persons character can demonstrate, not something about the way their face is put together. Not everyone is shallow enough to only consider the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

You are missing my point. I've been in the company of people considered to be less than attractive and have found them becoming more and more appealing as I grew to like them more. Not in a fantasy world. Here, in this one.

Ugliness to me is something that a persons character can demonstrate, not something about the way their face is put together. Not everyone is shallow enough to only consider the outside.

Nobody would ever suggest that. But only considering the inside is equally strange in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Nobody would ever suggest that. But only considering the inside is equally strange in my view.

I don't only consider the inside, but the outside becomes less important as time goes on. Just as well really, since the one thing we can all be certain of is that looks fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

but it doesnt hamper the fact that the first attraction is a certain physical attraction...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

People need physical attraction in the first place to be interested but it is the mental attraction after that appeals so much. Beauty will fade but the person stays the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

. A 'stunner' can always develop a character but an ugly person will always be ugly.

Ah, but what about plastic surgery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Disagree with all of you.

Characters change, faces change, bodies change, and our perceptions of the other changes, sometimes for the worse and sometimes for the better.

No matter how much I loved someone I wouldn't be able to get past man breasts or rotten teeth. I just cant do it. Call me superficial, it probably is, but these things, as well as whining,and clinginess, I find counter erotic.

Cornflower blue eyes never change. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Moonbaby wrote: »

Moonbaby !!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Real gingers have green/hazel eyes, you are suggesting an attraction that will diminish the ginge gene pool?
    No matter how much I loved someone I wouldn't be able to get past man breasts or rotten teeth. I just cant do it. Call me superficial, it probably is, but these things, as well as whining,and clinginess, I find counter erotic.

But long term people are going to grow older/grey/lose teeth/shrink/become frail?

How would you cope with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Moonbaby wrote: »

They can if you get cataracts. Or have an eye poked out through a freak accident involving a radio aeriel.

• Advertisement

They can if you get cataracts. Or have an eye poked out through a freak accident involving a radio aeriel.

That was awfully specific...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Galvasean wrote: »
    That was awfully specific...

*Blinks the tears (and memories) out of cataract coated, slate-blue eye.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

nouggatti wrote: »

Real gingers have green/hazel eyes, you are suggesting an attraction that will diminish the ginge gene pool?

But long term people are going to grow older/grey/lose teeth/shrink/become frail?

How would you cope with that?

My perceptions would hopefully change by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Sense of security?

I have a truly beautiful friend who is almost never approached by the type of man she actually wants to meet, and is constantly belittled by insecure women. She's a lovely person.

I actually think that its quite possible that beauty makes for a nicer personality. Studies have shown that beautiful children recieve more praise and attention, more affirmation, that the more average child. We also respond well to pretty people in advertising and business.

So my question is this; Assuming all this positive attention fosters a positive outlook, and a secure self-image, and also assuming that these help contribute to a well balanced personality - can we assume that the good looking person has grown up to be nicer to be around than the less attractive person - who will have been on the receiving end of less positive interaction, and consequently, perhaps, be less liked and likeable?

Maybe, sometimes, beauty starts off skin deep, and sinks in deeper.

Ehm, a large part of it is bad experiences in the past.

A few more beautiful girls whom I knew were quite unpleasant people. They were spoiled and demanding. It's unattractive. That's a factor. Knew one who was blonde, tall, willowy, verging on perfection, and here's the thing... where's the personality to go with that? Sure she was nice, but there's nothing there. And this wasn't a stupid girl by any means. I value personality more highly than looks in any long-term thing, and I find that of those I met, the beautiful girls were all lacking in personality, or perhaps just unwilling to let that show? Given that some of them had what I might call a siege mentality due to the sniping of jealous friends and the attentions of sleazy horndogs it's not necessarily surprising.

To examine your point - beauty attracts both good and bad attention. The beautiful girl is the one whose parents spoil her and ends up being disliked for that reason by those who know her and ends up bitchy and cold. Or she could be like a ray of sunlight on a cloudy day. That's the person not the looks I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Dear god, I actually agree with this...

But the point also stands that people's perception of your attractiveness does change the more they get to know you. An ugly person can seem less ugly over time if you grow to like their personality - and an attractive person with a crap personality is less appealing. Case in point, I have a friend who is extremely annoying, who I'd have never thought of as hot, but yet when people see pictures of him they say he's gorgeous. We reckon if he was less annoying, he'd be more attractive.

shellyboo wrote: »
    I have a friend who is extremely annoying, who I'd have never thought of as hot, but yet when people see pictures of him they say he's gorgeous. We reckon if he was less annoying, he'd be more attractive.

I hate when people use me as their case studies. :pac:

nouggatti wrote: »

Jeez!!! It is not like I can be held responsible for my actions in the company of blue eye owners. :P

Shut up!
    *Blinks the tears (and memories) out of cataract coated, slate-blue eye.*

Wait a sec....Are you of legal age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

I think that "too pretty to be approached" is utter BS. The prettier a girl is the more men, bisexual women and psychos she will attract. Maybe your average guy will be intimidated, but if you're really that pretty just go to a club and you'll have douchebags buzzing all around you like flies around steaming poo.

Being too pretty can definitely feel like a curse for a girl, i.e. she won't find anyone who acts decently towards them, only try to get in their pants and so on. It seems that for a man to be trying to be simple friends with a girl that's too pretty for her own good is the way to go, simply because all the other guys try to crash their way into her genitals, which depending on the girl succedes relatively often nevertheless.

Advertisement