Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Education Election Megathread

Options
2»

Comments

Just saw this thread so I thought I'd stick my oar in for fun.

I was an Education Officer back in the day (not in UL) and one thing I took on board was how a lot of ideas were easily shared between the various Education Officers and Students' Unions. So since I saw two three candidates here, how exactly will you work with the other SUs around the country? This isn't a loaded USI question (I don't care about whether you're pro or anti) it's more to do with how you're going to network with other SUs. Do you have contacts in other SUs? Will you use other facilities such as FUSU (if it's still alive)?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

ULPaddy wrote: »
    Good Idea Petee!!!

Is it not a bit biased though having Diarmuids Campaign merged to general "Education Election Megathread" whilst Eamonns is still seperate?

This has been merged too. Goes in chronological order, so as Eamonns thread was posted first it show up first here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Diarmuid Healy

Why has Class-Reps promotion been spoken about for yonks and still half the student body knows them only as the "guys who get hoodies and organise parties"?

Why has there never been a rewards system set-up for Class Reps to give something back to those who work hard at their role?

I have outlined my class reps policies on the other thread here

If you had to choose one thing to change about the role of the education officer what would it be?

If I could change one thing, I would want all of the students of UL to know about the services that are available to them in the Education Office. I want the Office to be as accessible as possible, so that it's not just 'union heads' that are in the know.
    What is ECTS?
    European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) is a standard for comparing the study attainment and performance of students of higher education across the EU and other collaborating European countries. EQUIS is also a system of accreditation in Europe.

These systems have not been implemented fully in UL yet, which is a major concern to UL students; it's an issue I'll work hard to resolve in office.
    How would you go about reducing the bureacracy of the Administration in UL?

That's a difficult issue to tackle; once I'm in office a key issue with the SAA will be transparency. Once we have a clear view of where the bottlenecks of bureaucracy we can work on improving them.

[noparse]
    [/noparse], not [noparse]
    [\quote][/noparse].

Ah. Um, nevermind.

klong wrote: »
    Where will the shiny new books you've promised to get go?

To be honest, that would not be a matter for the Education Officer. But since you've asked, they could go in the basement, where the short loan section used to be or in the shiny new building that's getting built.

Also, there are empty shelves as it stands, so maybe we could utilise them!

What will you do regarding class reps training?

I'll try and make it as lively and fun as it can possibly be. There will be a lot of emphasis on getting to know each other as well as policy development. The idea is to get people interested and talking about the issues, so that's what I'll be focusing on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

To be honest, that would not be a matter for the Education Officer. But since you've asked, they could go in the basement, where the short loan section used to be or in the shiny new building that's getting built.

Also, there are empty shelves as it stands, so maybe we could utilise them!

I'll try and make it as lively and fun as it can possibly be. There will be a lot of emphasis on getting to know each other as well as policy development. The idea is to get people interested and talking about the issues, so that's what I'll be focusing on.

I was in a lecture today where you spoke about working for new books.
    Can't go in short loans, as I'm sure you know there are study desks there now, and anyway, we need study desks. And I seriously doubt there's much room in the basement. As regards the new library/extension, that won't be finished for years.

Lively and fun class reps training isn't much use when only a handful of people sign up for it.

I've never heard one person say ECTS is a major concern to them.

I was in a lecture today where you spoke about working for new books.
    Can't go in short loans, as I'm sure you know there are study desks there now, and anyway, we need study desks. And I seriously doubt there's much room in the basement. As regards the new library/extension, that won't be finished for years.

Honestly, getting the books themselves is the issue. After that, I'm positive that the library will be able to shelve them. If it comes up as an issue I'll work with them to find space, but I don't think it will.
    Lively and fun class reps training isn't much use when only a handful of people sign up for it.

We'll use a similar incentive scheme as I've already outlined for CRC, and sell it as such a lively and fun event that people will sign up!
    I've never heard one person say ECTS is a major concern to them.

That may be true, but the fact that students are not fully aware of it doesn't make it any less important as an issue; UL needs to implement it so that our students can have their degrees recognised fully outside of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ULPaddy

That may be true, but the fact that students are not fully aware of it doesn't make it any less important as an issue; UL needs to implement it so that our students can have their degrees recognised fully outside of Ireland.

Aaaahhhh!!! I don't think either of the candidates are getting that ECTS is NOT degree recognition - it could be streched into being seen as "Module recognition".

ECTS is about having the courses that you do whilst on Erasmus/Socrates, whether in UL or from UL, linked into a credit system that is in place in third level institutions throughout europe. That means when you're at the host university you know just how many modules you need to do, so that when you go back to your home university they can see that you have the necessary credits (30 per semester) to go into the next semester/year.

Simple as that! Understood Mr. Healy and Mr. Gardiner! Should either of ye mix it up again, than I dread to think what we may be in store for with either offering advice to students.:(

Damn Right! You'd think after being in discussions for more than one year he would have been clear on the fact that it applies to more than just C&S and actually is known as "Uaneen Module" in DCU - a term which Paddy Pratt took on when he first introduced the idea of credits for extra-curricular activities! Diarmuid might want to pay a little better attention in meetings!

Hi Paddy, I have been involved in the pilot project for this since the very beginning. I have worked with Alan Higgins, Shane O'Callaghan on Eva Devaney on it and I'm well aware of the ins and outs of it, but most students aren't at this early stage so my manifesto was designed to inform them without getting too technical about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

If you clearly know so much about this why aren't you running?

Or does this mean you're one of the candidates running for the position? If so you've my vote secured if you're able competently answer the questions!

To be honest I'm confused! :confused::confused::confused:

I'm 4th year Business and French Rep. I am currently on the ULSU Exec as the Faculties officer (Voted in by Faculty Officers - I am also Business Faculty Officer - Voted in by Business Class Reps).

My office is under the remit of Education so therefore I attend Faculty Board meetings, Course Meetings etc etc etc and all these issues believe it or not all these issues come up all the time in these meetings......

So I know my 2 cents worth...... Check this weeks An Focal for a really really bad picture of me.

Basically the election tomorrow elects my new Boss (Student :D:D)!!!!! Exciting :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I didn't run because it would have been too expensive for me to repeat next year and to be honest I'm happy with the experience I'm gaining at the moment!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

DJCR wrote: »
    I'm 4th year Business and French Rep.

Ah, now the username makes sense:D:D

Hi guys,

Here are my ideas for the Class Reps Council I would implement in office
    • Offer incentives for Class Reps who consistently show up and contribute such as drinks vouchers at the Class Reps party for those who turned up to 75%+ meetings or a RAG week event ticket for those with 100% attendance to that point.
    Thats what they do now!!! - So no changes there!
    • Encourage an increased level of dialogue between Class Reps and their classes so that 'ordinary' students get that Council is there for them, and they may feel more inclined to raise issues through their Reps
    "Ordinary Students" - Please refer to them as the General Student Populus. Nobody is ordinary, everyone is special in their own special way!

How are you going to do this BTW????
    • Consult with the Education Working Group and Class Reps to see how we could make Council more accessible and make Reps feel like their work is meaningful

Education Working Group - I'm on that to - Look forward to discussing it with the new Education Officer - but we are all Class Reps as well so if your gonna discuss it with them aswell we may as well not have a meeting and we'll jump into the meeting with he Class Reps!

Council - More accessible to whom????

Make reps feel their work is meaningful......... When you spend some time with class reps you will see that there is already a general consensus that you only get out what you put in kinda thing.

+ There is a really good support system there with the Faculty Officers there already so ...........

Some Class Reps serve for four years, others have just started out. I'm going to try and get these Reps to engage with each other to get the best possible combination of experience and initiative at Council
    :)

THis is a really good idea - accomplished to an extent at CRT but defo needs developing. I look forward to seeing where you take this!!!
    :):):)

Good Luck Tomorrow - I'm sure I'll see you around the polling station!!!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Ah, now the username makes sense:D:D

You Like - Have no idea who you are though - Not giving me much to go on...................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm trying to reduce my being critical and synical and focus more on the positives. Both candidates do have their weaknesses and are campaigning based on principles, procedures and plans that they don't seem to fully understand...

BUT

at least you'll have one competent person with their head screwed on and actually aware of the finer details of those "aspirations" that the candidates have. Whoever does win tomorrow (wishing both the very best of luck), from what I gather, you should be counting your blessings to have that Faculties Officer (sorry DJCR - I worked out who you are) - at least he knows what he's on about and he's clearly tuned in! Ye should definitely feel darn lucky he didn't run against ye because if he did ye would have been F*****d... for want of a better word!

I could get used to this being optimistic! I think a little bit of ice just melted away...

Bring-on the voting! :cool:

I want to thank you all for your input, and if elected I will take everything you have said on board. While I believe I am the most experienced candidate and I think you should vote for me based on that, I'm aware that there are gaps in my knowledge, and I'm glad people like DJCR are around to offer input.

What I can tell you for certain is that I can hit the ground running (I know that's a very cliched statement at this stage but it's true), I'll work hard to bridge the gaps in my knowledge and I'll work hard every day to try and make life a little easier for students, provide them with the information they need and fight for them everywhere it is needed.

However tomorrow goes, I want to thank everyone who has helped me so far, even (especially) those of you providing me with constructive criticism so I know where I'm going right and where I can improve.

Whichever candidate you're voting for - get out and vote tomorrow - it's your union!

I will help anyone who asks!!!

Get out there an vote tomorrow to mke sure that my boss has the biggest mandate in the union................ which ever of the two that maybe!!!

Good luck to both of you and I look forward to working with the winner!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Turnout was looking good (well relatively) today anyway. Up on 800.

Gotta agree with ninty9er there - I was surprised myself at how many the campaigners got in there to vote!

What is the story with results, i.e. when will we know who won?

Nail-biting stuff this suspense is! :eek:

Gardiner wins by about 2 1/2 to 1. Total poll approx 1100.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Gardiner wins by about 2 1/2 to 1. Total poll approx 1100.

I suppose congratulations are in order; Well done Eamonn! :)

I'm sure all those who can, will be willing to help-out to ease (maybe "speed" would be a more suitable word) him into the position ASAP. Let's hope he's a quick learner.

My utmost respect to Diarmuid - he fought hard (some campaigners maybe taking the idea a little too literally) and was motivated to give his best, which he did. Well done on going for it and best of luck with getting back to the studies after what was likely a manic week. :rolleyes:

Now I only need decide if I attend the wake or the winning! :p

But first I gotta go and find a different distraction from studying! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If you clearly know so much about this why aren't you running?
    I'm sure there are a few people who know quite a lot about extra-curricular accreditation and the pilot programme that UL have had that weren't running:)

Incidentally that pilot programme is taking far too long and while it has a good frame of reference as a pilot programme, in its current incarnation, it's unlikely to yield anything worthwhile in the near future, even an end date.
    Where will the shiny new books you've promised to get go?
    You know they're doubling the book capacity of the library in the next two years (projected date, I reckon it'll take three)? Big extension, won't be able to miss it when it's done, room for another 300k books.

Personally I'd get rid of some of the older books as well but then I wouldn't have changed the original plan for the library (the original plan was the same building but didn't have the massive waste of space with the cutaway square running the height of the building over where the computers are on the ground floor or over the newspaper section)
    Why has Class-Reps promotion been spoken about for yonks and still half the student body knows them only as the "guys who get hoodies and organise parties"?
    Pretty much every time I've ever heard of "class rep promotion" it's been in regard to getting more class reps, never in regard to reminding classes that if they have a problem that they have a class rep to go to.

There are some very good class reps, heck, there are some really excellent class reps. There are also a small amount of terrible class reps. It's something of a dual role really as for many classes, the class rep is the person who organises class hoodies and sorts out class parties. Obviously there's also the basic representation that a class rep should do, which includes dealing with lecturers on behalf of the class when there's a problem and representing the views of their class to the SU at class reps council. Some are better than others at doing the non-hoodie/non-classparty parts of the job. And there's a tiny amount that become class reps to have it on their CV and either never turn up at the one meeting every two weeks that they're required to go to as part of the job or if they actually go, represent their own views rather than that of their class. It's hard to "promote" the notion of class reps in these classes where becoming a class rep just makes you more of an opportunist than the next guy, though ironically it's these very classes that the role and responsibilities should be promoted in.

It's a tiny number, most class reps are at worst adequate, many are good and a small number really have the interests of their class at heart and actually go and earn that hoodie each year (though if they came in colours that were actually wearable that would be nice).

Class reps are part time after all and aren't given much for what they do (the hoodie, quick glass of wine in Plassey House at the end of the year, the odd free ticket into some dodgy nightclub if they get lucky). And they're hard to get, more than a few of them simply fall into the role because no-one else steps up and lecturers want to know who the rep for the class is so they can make them responsible for distributing lecture notes or something. However, for anyone who wants to become a class rep, sometimes it'd be nice if more of them thought about what they'll be required to do to do a half-decent job. Then again, it's very part-time, they lack adequate directin and always have, despite the best efforts of at least two excellent education officers in the past number of years, so the standard of expectation should be lower. I'm occasionally quite impressed at the number of them that manage to exceed the bar and do it in a way that doesn't just amount to narcissistic self-promotion - frankly put, they should get something worthwhile for their extra efforts.

I'm not actually working for Diarmuid's campaign
    You were when I was talking to you during the week:P

sceptre knows all and sees all:)

As far as the campaigning went, well done to both candidates and congrats to the winner. It's hard campaigning for a position, particularly in UL, when it's the only position on offer. The main election weeks at least give a sense of buzz to campaigns (and campaigners) - going out and selling yourself in November rain is difficult enough without having to be the guys letting people know there's an election on as well without a pile of people in other races lessening the load on the latter.

sceptre wrote: »
    I'm sure there are a few people who know quite a lot about extra-curricular accreditation and the pilot programme that UL have had that weren't running:)

Incidentally that pilot programme is taking far too long and while it has a good frame of reference as a pilot programme, in its current incarnation, it's unlikely to yield anything worthwhile in the near future, even an end date.

However, it is definately something that is worth working towards no matter how long it takes!
    sceptre wrote: »

You know they're doubling the book capacity of the library in the next two years (projected date, I reckon it'll take three)? Big extension, won't be able to miss it when it's done, room for another 300k books.

Personally I'd get rid of some of the older books as well but then I wouldn't have changed the original plan for the library (the original plan was the same building but didn't have the massive waste of space with the cutaway square running the height of the building over where the computers are on the ground floor or over the newspaper section).

That plan was made pre-budget cuts......... I hope that the money was put away at the time and wasn't based on future budget projections!!

I'm not sure about the library situation though anyone got more info on it?

That plan was made pre-budget cuts......... I hope that the money was put away at the time and wasn't based on future budget projections!!

I'm not sure about the library situation though anyone got more info on it?

Capital isn't being cut to the same extent as current budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

However, it is definately something that is worth working towards no matter how long it takes!
    Yeah, my point was that it's taking too long though. It's not good enough to say that it's good even if it might take a long time, the real question is why there isn't something more concrete about the outcome. This was raised as an issue over a decade ago, other colleges have taken the lead on this since and UL is just meandering along with a nice fuzzy plan that isn't really a plan.

Comes out of a fund that wasn't affected by any budget cuts so shouldn't matter.

Can I engage in a spot of thread hijacking and talk about class reps?

I'm a class rep- signed the form and all last year,turned up to something like 80-90% of meetings; this year my classmates told me I'm rep again. Didn't sign the form or whatever. Haven't been able to get to meetings as I normally work Tuesdays, starting at 1900. Semester 2 is all different, not working anymore. I remember last year plenty of discussion over class reps not attending enough (or at all). Whats the situation regarding that now?
    I noticed on the SU forums about class reps training- is it worth going to as a final year student who hasn't been to such a weekend before?

Can I engage in a spot of thread hijacking and talk about class reps?

I'm a class rep- signed the form and all last year,turned up to something like 80-90% of meetings; this year my classmates told me I'm rep again. Didn't sign the form or whatever. Haven't been able to get to meetings as I normally work Tuesdays, starting at 1900. Semester 2 is all different, not working anymore. I remember last year plenty of discussion over class reps not attending enough (or at all). Whats the situation regarding that now?
    I noticed on the SU forums about class reps training- is it worth going to as a final year student who hasn't been to such a weekend before?

I'm considering becoming a class rep just to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'd assume it wasn't a problem if you sent in your apologies. If only I'd known, I would have signed you in on the sheet, cause that's my job ;)

Ask Eamonn what the deal is, but I really don't think it will matter.

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'd assume it wasn't a problem if you sent in your apologies. If only I'd known, I would have signed you in on the sheet, cause that's my job ;)

Ask Eamonn what the deal is, but I really don't think it will matter.

When semester 2 rolls around, I'll finally know who ergonomics is! :cool:

I would ask Eamonn, but I think he's a bit annoyed with me because I told him I didn't vote for him! (or for the other candidate, for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Doubt he'd be annoyed with ya, would just make him more determined to work hard for you! I'm one of the Faculty Reps so you'll definitely work out who I am if you attend the meetings. :)

• Advertisement

Are you encouraging bad habits Ergo..... tut tut !!!

I am surprised at you. Do I really have to send a Faculty Officer on Class Reps Training (what has the world come to) :D:D:D:D:D:D

Although saying that class reps training is savage craic ....... I'd take any excuse to go !!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Can't wait, I'm helping to organise the piss up training in February!!:eek::eek::eek:

Guys\Gals........ hoodies, free entry to places, piss ups..... class reps is the way to the light!!!

Advertisement