Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NXE and games installed on HDD

• 20-11-2008 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

Any one knows is there any way of running installed game without disk in drive. I like the idea of beeing able to install games to save disks from getting sratched, but I'd like to play on system link without buying the same game. I did try to eject disk but console goes back to dashboard. Any Ideas??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I somehow doubt MS left any obvious ways to do this, it'll be a while before any kind of exploit has been found, and would most likely involve modding the console in some way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

Or altering the installed game somehow, I preassume?

Exploit is such a bad word. Most of the people will agree with me that paying €60 to play with my brother or my flatmate on system link. I know, can go to xtra vision and rent the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I'd say the word "exploit" was used is because if a way to play the game just from the HDD is found it would mean people can just borrow a game and copy it to the drive and no one would ever pay for a game again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

There's probably some way to remove the disc once it's done the check on load up and then pop it into the other console. You'd need to dismantle the dvd tray of one of the console's though. Worth a shot if ur out of warranty tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

There's probably some way to remove the disc once it's done the check on load up and then pop it into the other console. You'd need to dismantle the dvd tray of one of the console's though. Worth a shot if ur out of warranty tho.

There used to be a mod like that for the Playstation 2 back in the day - you mess with the DVD drive in order to remove the disc from the top, instead of ejecting the tray, which caused validation to kick in. It would make sense that removing the disc in the Xbox without properly ejecting it could beat the validation, but what exactly would you do? Drill a hole in the top of the console/DVD drive? Unfortunately, I don't see the disc requirement changing (officially) at any point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

J-blk wrote: »
    There used to be a mod like that for the Playstation 2 back in the day - you mess with the DVD drive in order to remove the disc from the top, instead of ejecting the tray, which caused validation to kick in. It would make sense that removing the disc in the Xbox without properly ejecting it could beat the validation, but what exactly would you do? Drill a hole in the top of the console/DVD drive? Unfortunately, I don't see the disc requirement changing (officially) at any point...

You could break the latch that holds the dvd tray closed and then pull the disc out manually. It's really only practical for someone in andros's position who wants to play the same game via system link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭andros

You could break the latch that holds the dvd tray closed and then pull the disc out manually. It's really only practical for someone in andros's position who wants to play the same game via system link.

I know what you mean. I was also thinking about something like SwapMagic from PS2 when you can remove the disk without reseting the console.

I don't like the idea of buying the same game twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

When you install a 360 game onto the HDD only about 85% of the game is installed . About 5 - 6 gigs worth. Leaving another gig on the dvd.
    I don't think the 360 just checks the disc on boot up. But small bursts every so often when needed in the game.

I know people who suggested trying to make a boot disc that you just leave in your 360 that will boot any game on the HDD but that probably isn't possible and if it is its along way away. Plus you'd have to flash your 360 to work the boot disc.

Advertisement