Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Wireless Printing Drivers

Options
  • 20-11-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭

Basically haven't has to print anything yet this year so never downloaded the new software.
    However the site that you have to download the drivers off has an error in the driver file.
    Any chance one of you could attach the driver.exe file to a post for me? :o

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

The printing package and drivers can only be download and installed within the ucd network. Anywhere else it corrupts and doesnt work. Perhaps thats why its not working for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The printing package and drivers can only be download and installed within the ucd network. Anywhere else it corrupts and doesnt work. Perhaps thats why its not working for you?

Nah I was sitting in my Lab at the time. No idea what the story is...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Frisbee wrote: »
    Nah I was sitting in my Lab at the time. No idea what the story is...

Any proper printing system would use the operating system printing found in windows, macs & others. Computing services of course decide to go for a lowery common denominator and it's stories like these that show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Red Alert wrote: »
    Any proper printing system would use the operating system printing found in windows, macs & others. Computing services of course decide to go for a lowery common denominator and it's stories like these that show it.
    Someone has a problem downloading a driver, and you want to write off the whole system? You're in for a treat when you leave university and head out in to the real world. They're using the same system (Pharos) at Yale, so you're welcome to go and tell them it's rubbish. :rolleyes:

What's the current situation? Tried again? I would try it, except I'm not at UCD right now.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah still not working.
    And theres another thread at the bottom of the page aswell about it not working for someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If they used the standard windows network print system it'd be a hell of a lot simpler and guaranteed to work, since the drivers get pushed down automatically. Same on macs. Both systems use industry standard backends, not some idiotic setup requiring another piece of software. Just because Yale uses it makes it a viable reason to purchase it? Hell that's probably the only criteria our lads used.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

OK, I'm at UCD, and just re-downloaded and installed the Windows drivers from here. This downloadable component is just a "stub", and when you run it, it goes off and downloads the drivers themselves.

First time I tried it, it failed with "download stalled" in the log. A minute later it found and downloaded the correct components. So, if you get an error, try again - it might be a busy UCD network.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

bnt wrote: »
    OK, I'm at UCD, and just re-downloaded and installed the Windows drivers from here. This downloadable component is just a "stub", and when you run it, it goes off and downloads the drivers themselves.

First time I tried it, it failed with "download stalled" in the log. A minute later it found and downloaded the correct components. So, if you get an error, try again - it might be a busy UCD network.

urgh cant get mine working either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭kf1920

As far as i know, Quinn works off the windows system, a hell of a lot easier, dont know anything bout this printer driver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I've actually managed to install them after trying literally about 15 times, and now i can get the same options on my laptop when i go to print as i would on a ucd pc, a little box just pops up before the print where you enter your ucd id in. However, just as it seems everything's working, an error pops saying it cant connect to the pharos server or something like that. They should actually have a module called 'introduction to practical problems of life in ucd.' :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement