Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Smiths Extra Smooth

Options
  • 20-11-2008 12:10pm

I cant see this in any of the shops in Sligo,is there a distributor i can contact to see if they would bring it in?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

d takeover at s&n in the uk halled meant exportin wa spractically impossible. no1 knew where day stood. its startin to filter back into shops here now do. my local has it bt its a fair owl drive 4 ya down to tipp :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

tippguy, text speak isn't permitted here. Please use your full keyboard and read the forum's charter.

i was only trying to help your man out in fairness!

tippguy wrote: »
    d takeover at s&n in the uk halled meant exportin wa spractically impossible. no1 knew where day stood. its startin to filter back into shops here now do. my local has it bt its a fair owl drive 4 ya down to tipp :)

Thanks for that,do you know where he gets it from,what distributor?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

tippguy wrote: »
    i was only trying to help your man out in fairness!

and that is absolutely no problem :)

Text speak is hard to read and it annoys a lot of people. For these reasons we ask people not to use it whiole posting on boards; it makes for a better place to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Cheers have had plenty of the "Magnet" in stock over the last while, certainly the Dublin shops have. I assume that Tesco's would have kept up on supply as well (I don't shop in them so can't say, I just assume). Where were you buying it, OP?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Cheers have had plenty of the "Magnet" in stock over the last while, certainly the Dublin shops have. I assume that Tesco's would have kept up on supply as well (I don't shop in them so can't say, I just assume). Where were you buying it, OP?
    I'm sure I've seen it in tescos Nutgrove

Nick

a company called kelly & co based here in tipp as far as i'm aware. they are kind of based in munster though. doubt it if they will go that far up the country unless your gonna buy a pallet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

OP have you tried Foley's off license?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

John Smiths is horrible stuff.

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    John Smiths is horrible stuff.

True it ain't great at all but it's all we have here if one wants a basic drinking bitter at a reasonable price; ie well under the €2 mark. I did see bitter in M+S the other day; anybody try it yet or will I have to be guinea pig?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I did see bitter in M+S the other day; anybody try it yet or will I have to be guinea pig?

most of their beers did not rate highly, but their stout and IPA went down well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

True it ain't great at all but it's all we have here if one wants a basic drinking bitter at a reasonable price; ie well under the €2 mark. I did see bitter in M+S the other day; anybody try it yet or will I have to be guinea pig?
    Yorkshire Bitter? Not great, I thought.

There is a large number of very good "basic drinking bitters" available in Ireland if you go to the right stockists -- London Pride in particular is making great inroads onto supermarket shelves, and Bishops Finger is getting more popular too. No-one should feel forced to drink John Smith's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

drive to enniskillen (asda or tesco) possibly, dont know for sure, but would have boddingtons or something in instead.

yorkshire bitter not great, how dare you sir, greatest drink on earth (handpull tetley's not that smoothflow muck. Timmy taylors landlord my fave,theakstons, black sheep and a host of others. was in apub earlier in the year and went into a pub above huddersfield best pint of theakstons bitter i've tatsed in a while and the landlord looked and spoke like al murray had us in stiches.
    i was born in yorkshire and declare a bias btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I think he's specifically referring to M&S's 'Yorkshire Bitter', and not all Yorkshire bitters. If you get me.

yorkshire bitter not great, how dare you sir, greatest drink on earth
    See, this is what happens when you don't notice my capital letters. Yorkshire bitter is indeed lovely, and I'm a particular fan of the Theakston's range. Yorkshire Bitter, conversely, is Cropton's Yorkshire Moors rebadged for M&S and has some nasty metallic tanginess going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I believe Marks and Spencer's Bottle Conditioned Ales are rebadged beers from Various English Breweries.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yorkshire Bitter? Not great, I thought.

There is a large number of very good "basic drinking bitters" available in Ireland if you go to the right stockists -- London Pride in particular is making great inroads onto supermarket shelves, and Bishops Finger is getting more popular too. No-one should feel forced to drink John Smith's.

I'm more so thinking of the sort of beer priced for the "a few cans in watching the football" nights, BN; the cheap yet still half decent beer market. As nice as Bishops Finger and Londonpride are, they are not priced at the range where somebody watching the pennies or less fussy would go for on a regular basis, as a Brains or Tetley or that would be in the UK market.

By the way, I remember when Theaksons was a regular in my local off Licences and I bloody devoured it. And I got it on cask in Belfast in about 1995 in the Bontanic BTW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

John Smiths Extra Smooth Cold is going for £9 per pack of 15 440ml cans in Sainsburys, Newry. Think thats 74c per can after conversion.

There are plenty available as the Irish shoppers don't snap them up like the Bud, Guinness, Carlsberg etc.

I like the stuff so i got plenty :)

I got a slab of John Smiths from Tesco in Sligo,they ordered it for me and they will stock it in January.Tesco in Ballina and Castlebar have it as well!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

+1 for the John Smiths in Newry.
    Got 30 cans of the stuff for £18, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jems

my boyfriend picked up 45 cans 440ml john smiths ES in belfast fo ST£20. bargain!

in dublin i've seen it in Molloys Off License in francis st, D8

i quite like john smiths ES too as its not gassy, easy to drink - even warm (room temp)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

On the subject of English Ales i tried Bishops Finger tonight for the first time. I was meaning to try for ages but I have to say I wasn't that into it. About 3/4's way in that kind of earthy, woody, taste got a bit too much.

Anoeta wrote: »
    About 3/4's way in that kind of earthy, woody, taste got a bit too much.
    It can be a bit much all right. One of the major problems with it is that it's in clear glass bottles which ruins the flavour as soon as it comes out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Anoeta

BeerNut wrote: »
    It can be a bit much all right. One of the major problems with it is that it's in clear glass bottles which ruins the flavour as soon as it comes out of the box.

Yeh, I found it very overpowering near the end. I also tried the Honey Dew from Fullers which was a lot smoother in comparison. Lovely caramel honey flavours. I reckon it would be a nice one for the bench in a beer garden in the sun.

Is there anywhere in the Republic stocking John Smiths Extra Smooth now,it seems to have been taken off the stocklist in Tesco's?

Advertisement