Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€25k on sporty car...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Buy an 2002 M3

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Hammertime wrote: »
    Buy an 2003 M3

FYP

He'll deffo find a 03 mint M3 with that money, Maybe maybe a 04

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Buy an 2002 M3

Wish he would but the running costs would be unreal!

He drives a Golf at the minute, I think its the 1.4 one, so even stepping up to a 320i would be a big step in regards performance

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'd have the GT over the BM any day, but not the 1.8 petrol.

Either the 2.0 petrol if you must or the 1.9 JTDm. Push the boat out and get a 3.2V6 but hard to get...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Dubdude wrote: »

Looks like crap i don't like them golfs i would say he would be better off with the bmw or alfa imo good picks

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If he has 25k cash he should import.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'd have the GT over the BM any day, but not the 1.8 petrol.

Either the 2.0 petrol if you must or the 1.9 JTDm. Push the boat out and get a 3.2V6 but hard to get...

So would I! There are plenty of 3.2s in the UK, dont tend to be much more expensive than the lesser engined models, but the VRT would be alot more

So would I! There are plenty of 3.2s in the UK, dont tend to be much more expensive than the lesser engined models, but the VRT would be alot more

ya thats the killer at the moment for the high CO2 cars...should have got them in before the changes....

This being a prime example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

still be near to €20k to bring it in....

there was one same as this on carzone a few weeks ago, same year/mileage for 20k aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Completely unsaleable

you better intend keeping it forever

Completely unsaleable

you better intend keeping it forever

I don't agree....if they are rare enough in this country and sold at a good price, it will sell

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I don't agree....if they are rare enough in this country and sold at a good price, it will sell

I don't know why you guys are talking about 3.2 alfas when the OP already said that an M3 would be too much in terms of running costs.

Also M3's are well priced at the mo (same as uk) and they're impossible to shift, I can't imagine a 3.2 Alfa faring any better when they are slower and not as good on the road as an M3 no matter how good a noise they make.

Ferris wrote: »
    I don't know why you guys are talking about 3.2 alfas when the OP already said that an M3 would be too much in terms of running costs.

Also M3's are well priced at the mo (same as uk) and they're impossible to shift, I can't imagine a 3.2 Alfa faring any better when they are slower and not as good on the road as an M3 no matter how good a noise they make.

Well in fairness I did put up a link to the 3.2 alfa :o
    Lost the run of myself I suppose!

Just spoke to him, and he said he wont go for more than a 2.2 engine.

He seems very keen on the BM, and said it needn't necessarily be the coupe.

I really dont know nearly as much about BM's as some of the rest of you on here, so your thoughts are very welcome!!

For a start, I would have thought a M Sport pack would be a near neccessity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

If he has 25k + the golf this would be my choice, way nicer than a BMW.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/Brera/3.2/200842190522423/advert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Wish he would but the running costs would be unreal!

He drives a Golf at the minute, I think its the 1.4 one, so even stepping up to a 320i would be a big step in regards performance

A 320i will have *plenty* of power. 170 bhp and 2.2 litres will see to that.

A "sports car" isn't just about speed, it's about handling and a good sounding engine that loves to be revved too and that's where rear wheel drive and BMW straight 6 comes into its own; the straight 6s make a great noise and they love to be revved, so I'm sure your cousin will be delighted.

Just make sure if he does go down the BMW route to get a 6 cylinder engine and not one of those crappy 4 cylinder models(the diesel is good but diesel never was, is and will be sporty plus 02-04 320ds seem to blow their turbo every 60k or so too).

The Golf, Focus, Astra etc are very good cars in their own right, but I don't see how they can fulfill the OPs criteria. Just because they might have more power than the 320i doesn't mean they're better per say(though I admit to not having driven any of the properly fast versions of these cars but the standard ones are quite simply not as good as a rear wheel drive car is going to be for handling even though they're still a lot better than some of the other cars on sale).

E92 wrote: »

A "sports car" isn't just about speed, it's about handling and a good sounding engine that loves to be revved too and that's where rear wheel drive and BMW straight 6 comes into its own; the straight 6s make a great noise and they love to be revved, so I'm sure your cousin will be delighted.

Just make sure if he does go down the BMW route to get a 6 cylinder engine and not one of those crappy 4 cylinder models(the diesel is good but diesel never was, is and will be sporty plus 02-04 320ds seem to blow their turbo every 60k or so too).

The Golf, Focus, Astra etc are very good cars in their own right, but I don't see how they can fulfill the OPs criteria. Just because they might have more power than the 320i doesn't mean they're better per say(though I admit to not having driven any of the properly fast versions of these cars but the standard ones are quite simply not as good as a rear wheel drive car is going to be for handling even though they're still a lot better than some of the other cars on sale).

Thanks for that e92, I agree with everything you say. I already advised him that if he gets a 16 or 18 model, he will always be left thinking 'what if...'.

I think to be honest it will be a BMW he goes for at the end of the day, just a question of what model!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Every tom dick and harry has a bmw ....
    Go with a toyota supra or an evo .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

How bout this .
    Is a two litre and they are as rare as anything on the road and they are a mental motor.

Thats a horrible car.
    It looks like a focus.....

How bout this .
    Is a two litre and they are as rare as anything on the road and they are a mental motor.

€17.5k is an awful lot to pay for an 03 Focus, even if it is an RS model...

I agree that a 'real sports car' should be rwd but the OP's mate drives a fwd golf so rwd would be a big change for him. Also you can get a nearly new GTi/OPC/ST for the money he is talking about. Also while I do like BMW's the e46 is not as good as everyone seems to think. The 2.2L 320 uses the same petrol as the hot hatches (25-30mpg) mentioned and costs more to tax while not being as powerful. They also suffer from serious suspension wear - broken rear springs, front arm bushes, twisting subframes etc and their ignition coils fail too.

Add to that that I have driven both a Gti and a 320i (and a 325i) and the Golf was simply more fun than the BMW's!

OP if your mate goes for an e46 make sure he gets it checked out thoroughly, a good one is great but a bad one is a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

conceited wrote: »
    Every tom dick and harry has a bmw ....
    Go with a toyota supra or an evo .

Agreed on the evo. Supra is wayy past it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

jeebus, since when is a 320i considered a sports car, its a shopping trolly for yummy mummys!! :P ;)

question: how practical does the car need to be?

my personal choices would be something along the lines of these:

link

link

link

or there is always the old reliables, Scoobys and Mitsu Evo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

what does your cousin do anyways when hes 24 & has 25K to spend on a car ??? is it daddys money ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Notch000 wrote: »
    what does your cousin do anyways when hes 24 & has 25K to spend on a car ??? is it daddys money ??

Hmm maybe he stayed in School.

I want to be english can anyone help me?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It should be noted at this point that just because it's RWD doesn't mean it's automatically better than any FWD.
    The 320i even with the 2.2 I6 will be only luke warm, but it sounds like he wants a beemer so off with him. The fact that he said it doesn't have to be a coupe shows that he doesn't want a sporty car at all, he just wants a car that his mates think is a sporty make.
    I'd rather a Mk V GTi to a 320i, I'd rather a 330i over a Mk 5 GTi, I'd rather an Evo 8 over a 330i. But there ya go. Doesn't matter what I'd like, tell your mate to find a good example of a 320i and make sure to haggle like mad. He'll be happy.

Advertisement