Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's best squad?

• 20-11-2008 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

For me...

Given (Newcastle) - Top 5 keeper in the world. Up there with Buffon according to Trap.
    Kiely (West Brom) - Getting on now but not a bad back up keeper.
    Westwood (Coventry) - Highly rated keeper.

Dunne (Man City) - One of the best in his position in the premiership.
    McShane (Hull) - Has done well for us at centre half. 6 or 7 good performances there for us. More than capable of playing beside Dunne despite his reputation having been played mainly at right back for over 2 years.
    O'Shea (Man Utd) - He's ok. Has done well beside Dunne so far.
    St Ledger (Preston) - Preston's best player and only 23 which is very young for a centre half so good potential. voted best championship player in north east England this week.
    Finnan (Espanyol) - Still a great defender.
    Foley (Wolves) - Mr consistency they say. The new Denis Irwin. Last season he was a regular 7/10. This season he has supposedly stepped that up to 8 or 9 every week.
    Kilbane (Wigan) - Probably our weak link in the team but has the experience now in that position and every team's allowed a weak link. ;)
    Delaney (QPR) - Impressed so far for Ireland. Good on the ball.

Carsley (Birmingham) - Would still be playing for Everton but for family reasons. Getting excellent reviews at Birmingham and described by a BBC Columnist as the championships most effective player.
    S.Reid (Blackburn) - Now our first choice central midfielder in everyone's book. Has a bit of everything and we miss him badly.
    A.Reid (Sunderland) - Certainly up there with Brady as Ireland's most gifted passer of a ball ever.
    Garvan (Ipswich) - More than capable of stepping up. Would demand the ball a lot more than the current pair. A 6 foot playmaker and Ipswich's most talented player. Will be in the premiership next season.
    Andrews (Blackburn) - A bit of a fickle choice in that he wouldn't have got near the squad 6 months ago but time changes. Something different then the other central midfielders there. An energetic box to box type who'll raise the tempo.
    Duff (Newcastle) - Despite losing a lot of his skill, he's still usually one of our best players.
    S.Hunt (Reading) - Super sub himself. Great to have on the bench for any team.
    McGeady (Celtic) - Has settled in at international level now. He was missed last night.
    Lawrence (Stoke) - 16 goals and 15 assists from the right wing last season got him Stokes POTY. 1 goal and 2 assists so far this season before getting injured in September. Not bad backup for the wings.

Keane (Liverpool) - Trap reckons the Keane and Doyle partnership is of Champions league standard.
    N.Hunt (Reading) - Just based on form atm.
    Doyle (Reading) - I can't speak highly enough of Doyle. Great striker who Ledley King reckons is one of the toughest he's played against. Pace, strenght, ability to hold it up, link up play, make intelligent runs, head the ball, finish, and work his socks off.
    Folan (Hull) - Very impressed with him last night. Always played the first time pass. Excellent awareness. Good strength and pace. A good option to have.

I think left back is a relatively weak position but the rest of that first 11 is strong. There is a big drop in standard between a Robbie Keane and Noel Hunt but there's always the possibility of playing an attacking 4-5-1. We're missing S.Reid badly atm but if we chose a pairing from the other 4 central midfielders above we wouldn't be missing him half as much. Back up for the full back area's is decent, back up for O'Shea is decent, back up for the wide midfield positions is decent. We've no back up for Dunne though so it's vital he's always available.

So from Trap's squad I wouldn't have J.Murphy, Bruce, Gibson, Whelan, Miller, Keogh, Stokes and Long at the moment. Despite not playing for Reading I can understand Long's call up as he has been terrific for Ireland.

As well as those 8 players there's McCarthy, McCann, O'Toole, Morrison, Delap, Joey O'Brien, Fahey, S.Kelly, Ward, Rowlands, P.Kenny and a couple others in with a shout.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

S. Given (Newcastle)
    D. Kiely (West Brom)
    B. Murphy (Bohemians)

R. Dunne (Manchester City)
    S. Finnan (Espanyol)
    K. Kilbane (Wigan Athletic)
    J. O'Shea (Manchester United)
    D. Delaney (Queens Park Rangers)
    S. Kelly (Birmingham City)
    J. O'Brien (Bolton Wanderers)
    K. Foley (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

S. Reid (Blackburn Rovers)
    A. Reid (Sunderland)
    O. Garvan (Ipswich Town)
    S. Ireland (Manchester City)
    L. Carsley (Birmingham City)
    W. Houlihan (Norwich City)
    S. Hunt (Reading)
    R. Delap (Stoke City)
    A. McGeady (Glasgow Celtic)

K. Doyle (Reading)
    R. Keane (Liverpool)
    S. Long (Reading)
    D. Murphy (Sunderland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Goalkeepers

Shay Given
    Dean Kiely

Defenders

Steve Finnan
    Stephen Kelly
    Kevin Kilbane
    Damien Delaney
    Richard Dunne
    John O'Shea
    Paul McShane
    Joey O'Brien

Midfielders

Stephen Reid

Stephen Ireland (if . . . )
    Andy Reid
    Lee Carsley
    Owen Garvan
    Aiden McGeady
    Stephen Hunt
    Damien Duff
    Liam Lawrence
    Rory Delap (for his versatility, not his throws)

Strikers

Robbie Keane
    Kevin Doyle

Shane Long
    Caleb Folan
    Noel Hunt

No moaning about me picking Ireland please, this is all hypothetical anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

S. Given (Newcastle)
    D. Kiely (West Brom)
    W. Henderson (Preston)

R. Dunne (Manchester City)
    S. Finnan (Espanyol)
    K. Kilbane (Wigan Athletic)
    J. O'Shea (Manchester United)
    D. Geary (Sheffield United)
    S. Kelly (Birmingham City)
    J. O'Brien (Bolton Wanderers)
    K. Foley (Wolverhampton Wanderers)

S. Reid (Blackburn Rovers)
    A. Reid (Sunderland)
    S. Ireland (Man City)
    L. Lawrence (Stoke City)
    L. Carsley (Birmingham City)
    D. Gibson (Man United)
    S. Hunt (Reading)
    A. McGeady (Glasgow Celtic)

K. Doyle (Reading)
    R. Keane (Liverpool)
    S. Long (Reading)
    D. Murphy (Sunderland)
    S. Elliot (Preston)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

1.Given
    2.Keily
    3.Kenny

4.Finnan
    5.Kilbane
    6.J.O'Brien
    7.S.Kelly

8.R.Dunne
    9.J.OShea
    10.A.Bruce
    11.P.McShane

12.S.Reid
    13.A.Reid
    14.G.Whelan
    15.L.Carsley

16.S.Ireland
    17.D.Duff
    18.A.McGeady
    19.S.Hunt

20.R.Keane
    21.K.Doyle
    22.C.Folan
    23.S.Long

Reserves
    24.L.Miller, 25.R.Delap, 25.L.Larwence, 26.N.Hunt, 27.S.Quinn, 28.K.Andrews, 29.C.Morrison, 30.D.Gibson, 31.D.Murphy, 32.S.St Ledger, 33.S.Elliott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

What about Johny Douglas? granted he's not great but got to be a better option than Whelan in midfield with the added bonus of at least playing regular games every week! if Trappatoni likes spoilers in midfield then Douglas fits the bill...

Gibson for me although still young and inexperienced really doesn't look like he'll be up to much, if the North had have grabbed him back I wouldn't see it as been a great loss :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I presume the criteria is players available to Trap i.e No Stevey Ireland

Given
    Kiely
    Murphy

Finnan
    McShane
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Kilbane
    Foley
    Bruce

S Reid
    A Reid
    Carsley
    Duff
    McGeady
    S Hunt
    Whelan
    Garvan

Keane
    Doyle
    Keogh
    Long
    Folan

with my starting XI being the same as eirebhoy's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

article-1048845-026742E400000578-181_306x423.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Does anyone have a rationale about why Trap is selecting the midfielders he currently is?

I just can't understand it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

keane2097 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a rationale about why Trap is selecting the midfielders he currently is?

I just can't understand it...

I'll take a shot:

He is smarter than us idiot fans and media pundits, and doesn't give a **** what we think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

For me*:

Republic of Ireland Squad Italia '90

1. Packie Bonner
    2. Chris Morris
    3. Steve Staunton
    4. Mick McCarthy
    5. Kevin Moran
    6. Ronnie Whelan
    7. Paul McGrath
    8. Ray Houghton
    9. John Aldridge
    10. Tony Cascarino
    11. Kevin Sheedy
    12. David O'Leary
    13. Andy Townsend
    14. Chris Hughton
    15. Bernie Slaven
    16. John Sheridan
    17. Niall Quinn
    18. Frank Stapleton
    19. David Kelly
    20. John Byrne
    21. Alan McLoughlin
    22. Gerry Peyton

*Sheds a teeny weeny tear

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He is smarter than us idiot fans and media pundits

Do you think that's true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Given (Newcastle) - Top 5 keeper in the world. Up there with Buffon according to Trap.

Love is blind :D

It is, otherwise he wouldn't have achieved what he has achieved.

TripleAce wrote: »
    It is, otherwise he wouldn't have achieved what he has achieved.

I dunno man - the last title he won that I'd consider to be a big deal was the Budesliga and that was I think around 1997. Football has changed a bit since then, I'm not sure he's kept up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

How on earth can you argue otherwise??

I dunno man - the last title he won that I'd consider to be a big deal was the Budesliga and that was I think around 1997. Football has changed a bit since then, I'm not sure he's kept up...

He did well in Portugal and Austria as well and got plenty of experience......doing great results with Ireland so far IMO (forget the friendlies, those don't count). Sure he doesn't have Kaka, Ronaldo or Messi to chose, so he is doing well with what he has available.

I just feel skeptical if the best argument in his favour is that he's smarter than everybody else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Quite simple really. Why does he play such weak central midfieders who look completely out of their depth when he has much greater options sitting on their @rses at home. You can say what you like about him, but if its for football reasons he's making these decisions he's quite simply wrong. Would Carsley be better than Whelan and Gibson? Quite simply, yes. Would A.Reid be better than Gibson? Quite simply, yes. So we can argue on the evidence of seeing these players play, that he is selecting 'much' lesser players. What he has done to Reid is horrendous. Maybe Reid needed to be taken down a peg or 2, but its ridiculous at this stage. Unless of course Reid is doing, or has done something awful that we don't know about. As for Carsely, He should be one of the 1st men on the teamsheet, 'especially' under Traps system. He's made for it. He'd give us the bite and experience we so sorely lack in the middle, and could be the difference in getting results against the likes of Italy.

Q.E.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

ziggy wrote: »
    Given is without a doubt up there with the best. In fact, it's actually hard to say who's better because there's nothing much you can be better than Given at as he doesn't make mistakes. His kicking is his only weakness actually. Buffon and Casillas would widely be regarded as the top 2. I don't see enough of them but from what I saw I'd probably agree. After that Given is as good as anyone. As good as Cech. Better than Boruc. If Boruc didn't have his confidence problems he'd certainly be up there.
    Andy Reid and Liam Brady are the 2 best, most gifted passers of a ball Ireland have ever produced. His passing against Germany was a masterclass. Bobby Robson said if he was playing for Argentina with that performance we'd be raving about him. An incredible passer, certainly by Irish standards.

• Advertisement

Andy Reid and Liam Brady are the 2 best, most gifted passers of a ball Ireland have ever produced. His passing against Germany was a masterclass. Bobby Robson said if he was playing for Argentina with that performance we'd be raving about him. An incredible passer, certainly by Irish standards.

Not sure if you've ever seen footage of mister John Giles? He'd leave leave Brady and Reid in his wake passing wise. He could plant a ball on a penny from 40 yards. Absolute passing master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He is still probably one of the top 5 managers ever (take your pick from Lippi, Capello, Ferguson and a few others) while the main Irish football critic is a drunk

JimiTime wrote: »
    He could plant a ball on a penny from 40 yards.
    Reid too. :) I never saw Giles play but if he was as good a passer as you say then I don't know how he isn't the unanimous choice for Ireland's best ever player because what I read he certainly had everything else in his game.

Reid too. :) I never saw Giles play but if he was as good a passer as you say then I don't know why he isn't the unanimous choice for Ireland's best ever player because what I read he certainly had everything else in his game.

A ha'penny then:) He wasn't part of any sucessful Ireland teams. He played before TV broadcast 8 games a week etc. Get a 'best of the geat Leeds team' and see him play. For me there are 4 players that are imovable as Irish football legends: Giles, Brady, Roy Keane and Paul McGrath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Reid too. :) I never saw Giles play but if he was as good a passer as you say then I don't know how he isn't the unanimous choice for Ireland's best ever player because what I read he certainly had everything else in his game.

Well he is!

He won this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Jubilee_Awards

And he was named Irish Player of the Century by World Soccer Magazine in 2000:

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamHons/HonsWldSocPlyrsCent.html

Bubs101 wrote: »
    He is still probably one of the top 5 managers ever (take your pick from Lippi, Capello, Ferguson and a few others) while the main Irish football critic is a drunk

Whats Dunphy to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'll take a shot:

He is smarter than us idiot fans and media pundits, and doesn't give a **** what we think.
    Do you think he's been right so far in his selections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Buffon
    Cassilas
    Cech
    Reina
    ...Given?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Whats Dunphy to do with it?

Probably because Dunphy again :rolleyes: isnt an Irish managers biggest fan. Dunphy can go and fook off at this stage he gave out about the FAI not bringing in a top rated manager. Then when we finally get that he still gives out.

And for Trap being smarter than us well his iq isnt on trial here. Lets look at it this yes he has every right to do what he wants whether we agree or not after all he is the Ireland manager not us. If Trap doesnt want to pick certain players thats his choice he is the manager.

Jesus its typical people are still complaining about the manager. Some people are never satisfied. This Dunphy style Irish fan is pissing me right off. Everyone has the right to their opinion but dont ask for something then complain when you get it. Ireland are fooking lucky to have someone like Trap as their manager. His managerial record speaks for itself and before anyone says well his last championship was 10 years ago who cares look at our previous managers.

And for Trap being smarter than us well his iq isnt on trial here. Lets look at it this yes he has every right to do what he wants whether we agree or not after all he is the Ireland manager not us. If Trap doesnt want to pick certain players thats his choice he is the manager.

Jesus its typical people are still complaining about the manager. Some people are never satisfied.

Again here it's looking like people's main argument in favour of Trappatoni is just getting pissy about other people questioning him.

Of course he has the right to pick whoever he wants as the manager, but we're allowed to discuss it as well for **** sake!

Do you have a real argument or are we just not allowed to have doubts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Pighead wrote: »
    Do you think he's been right so far in his selections?

yes.

we have not lost a competitive fixture under his reign. In a results based business he has proved himself a success so far.

do i agree with his selections..NO not exactly but i will admit that i dont know 5% of what he does about the game so i will reserve judgment until after the WC campaign. i will support him and the players he thinks are best suited to the opponents we face.

Probably because Dunphy again :rolleyes: isnt an Irish managers biggest fan. Dunphy can go and fook off at this stage he gave out about the FAI not bringing in a top rated manager. Then when we finally get that he still gives out.

Jesus its typical people are still complaining about the manager. Some people are never satisfied. This Dunphy style Irish fan is pissing me right off. Everyone has the right to their opinion but dont ask for something then complain when you get it. Ireland are fooking lucky to have someone like Trap as their manager. His managerial record speaks for itself and before anyone says well his last championship was 10 years ago who cares look at our previous managers.

I haven't seen anyone call for his head, or get dunpheyesque, so stop tabloiding it up. Its quite simple, He has picked his CM poorly. He has 'much' better options sitting at home, so people are saying WTF? If the only arguement is 'He knows better', its a concern. Nobody can reasonably justify from a football perspective why Carsely is not in the team ahead of Gibson, never mind squad. Same with A.Reid. I'm all for trusting him, but I am very concerned. He's not picking his best players. Its got jaff all to do with a system, thats just cliche cr@p that fobs folk off. If he gets us to SA, brilliant. I really hope he does. But lets not kid ourselves, His CM selections are a big elephant in the room!

Again here it's looking like people's main argument in favour of Trappatoni is just getting pissy about other people questioning him.

Of course he has the right to pick whoever he wants as the manager, but we're allowed to discuss it as well for **** sake!

Every mananger has the right to get pissy about people questioning him. There is a huge difference between discussing his abilities and whinging about him. If pundits gave him a chance to do his job then maybe he wouldn't be so pissy about it. It baffles me we haven't lost a game in the Qualifiers and have been doing better than we have in awhile Polish game aside and yet the media complain.

Im mere stating my opinion to the whole situation. I never said people are not allowed doubt him but seriously are Ireland doing that bad right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I'll take a shot:

Agreed. The same idiot fans that think Andy Reid is on a par with Liam Brady maybe on current form. But Brady was on a much higher level than Reid IMO.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen anyone call for his head, or get dunpheyesque, so stop tabloiding it up. Its quite simple, He has picked his CM poorly. He has 'much' better options sitting at home, so people are saying WTF? If the only arguement is 'He knows better', its a concern. Nobody can reasonably justify from a football perspective why Carsely is not in the team ahead of Gibson, never mind squad. Same with A.Reid. I'm all for trusting him, but I am very concerned. He's not picking his best players. Its got jaff all to do with a system, thats just cliche cr@p that fobs folk off. If he gets us to SA, brilliant. I really hope he does. But lets not kid ourselves, His CM selections are a big elephant in the room!

You mention Carsley but look at Carsleys age. Yes right now he is a better option but what about the future. There are lots of players that should be in the squad I agree with most here but as a fan I want to give Trap the benefit of the doubt. the Andy Reid debacle is not helped imo by the media making an issue of it as it seems Trap is doing the whole I will pick my squad but again it is his squad. It does seem he doesnt like been told whats best. But again how many managers do?

If pundits gave him a chance to do his job then maybe he wouldn't be so pissy about it. It baffles me we haven't lost a game in the Qualifiers and have been doing better than we have in awhile Polish game aside and yet the media complain.
    What have pundits or the media got to do with people here on boards expressing opinions?

I don't see why not. He hasn't looked any worse to me.
    Being without doubt Sunderland's best player for the 2nd half of last season and constantly getting man of the match. Doing the same with Charlton in the premiership and championship. All these being broken by injury. This is the first time he's really been dropped since his Spurs days but he's still put in some really good performances this season and I think is being treated very harshly by Keane. For example, Widely regarded as Sunderland's best player along with Cisse vs Portsmouth, dropped for Blackburn game. He came on against Blackburn at the weekend and changed the game. Sunderland started to play football and it turned Cisse into a much better player. I'd say strikers love playing alongside him.

His performance against Cyprus at home raised a few question marks about whether he can handle constant pressure but I've seen him handle it many times. He's had a few poor games and a few average games for Ireland but overall his first 20 games for Ireland were excellent and settled in as well as any Irish player to the internationals.

I don't know what Celtic forums you post on but I wonder do you put down the posters on there as much as you do the Irish? :) I'm not any more biased towards Irish players than I am Celtic. Andy Reid would come in and dominate the Celtic midfield imo. I'd love to see him beside Brown.

You mention Carsley but look at Carsleys age. Yes right now he is a better option but what about the future. There are lots of players that should be in the squad I agree with most here but as a fan I want to give Trap the benefit of the doubt. the Andy Reid debacle is not helped imo by the media making an issue of it as it seems Trap is doing the whole I will pick my squad but again it is his squad. It does seem he doesnt like been told whats best. But again how many managers do?

Age means little. You blood the young along with the older. Carsely still has alot to give. So he's not the future. Neither was Roy Keane when he returned under Kerr. But he's fit, willing and a hell of alot better than the alternative. Gibson may be for the future, but Carsley is the now. We've seen Whelan and Gobson together twice now. So can you reason their inclusion, given the evidence? Or is the reason simply, 'Trap knows best'?

So can you reason their inclusion, given the evidence? Or is the reason simply, 'Trap knows best'?

No one can give you that reason unless they can read traps mind. I never said I could either. But whether Trap knows best or not do we have a choice? No we don't.
    What have pundits or the media got to do with people here on boards expressing opinions?

And I meant to say fans also. And my points were not just aimed at boards it was in general.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    Agreed. The same idiot fans that think Andy Reid is on a par with Liam Brady maybe on current form. But Brady was on a much higher level than Reid IMO.
    Who ever said Reid was as good as Brady?

joe123 wrote: »
    Buffon
    Cassilas
    Cech
    Reina
    ...Given?

What about Carson? :D

Every mananger has the right to get pissy about people questioning him. There is a huge difference between discussing his abilities and whinging about him. If pundits gave him a chance to do his job then maybe he wouldn't be so pissy about it. It baffles me we haven't lost a game in the Qualifiers and have been doing better than we have in awhile Polish game aside and yet the media complain.
    Extremely short sighted way of looking at things there tallaght. Yeah we've only been beaten once spo far but in my opinion we haven't played well in all but one of Traps 7 games in charge.

It's like driving an old banger of a car from Dublin to Cork and reaching Mullingar with one wheel almost falling off, smoke pouring out of the engine and a brake pedal which only works some of the time. Most people would bring the car to a mechanic to have it checked out but you'd be shouting out the cracked window "What's the problem, sure aren't we still moving?"

Irelands Seven Games to Date:
    Ireland 1 Serbia 1: Poor performance. Got out of jail with an injury time equalizer from Keogh

Ireland 1 Colombia 0: Ok first half but it was Colombia who played all the football and but for an inspired Dean Kiely would have won comfortably

Norway 1 Ireland 1: Another game where we started brightly but were lucky to hang on in the end for a draw

Georgia 1 Ireland 2: Best game by far for Traps. Played really well that day and fully deserved all three points. Got lucky with the fixture change to a neutral venue but still had to get the job done and they did so pretty well.

Montenegro 0 Ireland 0: A step backwards again with a pretty poor performance and quite lucky to come away with a draw.

Ireland 1 Cyprus 0: Again a bright start was overshadowed by a poor 2nd half perfromance against a Cyprus side who in thirteen away games Chad lost nine, drawn two and won just twice (those two victories coming against lowly San Marino and Faroe Islands).

Ireland 2 Poland 3: Poor performance again and 3-2 flattered Ireland. There's only a couple of places between these sides in the rankings yet the Poles looked way slicker.

It's all well and good to say "Oh but he's been getting the results but c'mon, one decent performance in seven shows that something isn't right here and we will eventually be found out unless he changes his mind regarding his midfield selections. It's time to take this team to the mechanic Traps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Who ever said Reid was as good as Brady?

Macari's

Montenegro 0 Ireland 0: A step backwards again with a pretty poor performance and quite lucky to come away with a draw.
    I thought we more than deserved our point. Montengero started quickly and dominated the first 10-15 minutes. We sat back, the Trap way, for the last 10 minutes and it was mostly Montenegro. We were definitely the better team for the hour or so in between though imo. In fact we had 66% possession overall which says it all about the importance of Steven Reid. We did dominate midfield though, defence was very solid and the strikers did well.

I'm not saying it was a good performance but it wasn't poor. In fact you could have mistaken us for a really top team because I can't see many teams being as comfortable as we were over there for most of the game.

Again though, Steven Reid seems to be the common denominator between playing well and not playing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

OMG. Jesus f*****g Christ.

How can people argue about Andy Reid playing in centre midfield in the system Trap wants to play?

It's impossible. He's a lazy b*****d and would be a liability. I could understand the arguement if we played one holding midfielder but WE DON'T! We play two!

Therefore Reid can't play.

We were definitely the better team other than for the hour or so in between though imo.
    So Montenegro were the better team for 2/3 of the match! And yes Reid did have a good game but he was absolutely wrecked after an hour yet Traps didn't substitute him. He didn't put any subs on that day actually.

And Montenegro had more possession than Ireland that day as well. Not sure where you're getting your 66%.

I couldn't give you an accurate opinion on Kris Commons, James McFadden, Graham Alexander, Darren Barr, Morrison, Berra, etc, etc. because I just don't watch them much. I probably see as much of McFadden as you do Reid but I've never watched a match solely just to watch McFadden. Any time Reid I'm pretty much just watching him. Anyway, I think I've seen an awful lot more of Reid than you, just like you've seen a lot more of a lot of players than me. Other than Celtic and Irish players I don't really have great knowledge of how good players are. I can just go on the odd match where I'm watching 22 players, a few clips on match of the day and any headlines they grab. I do go out on a limb and make a judgement of a player on one game but I'm usually wrong. :)
    ziggy wrote:
    ah for ****s sake ziggy get a grip. I said he was as good a passer. ffs Massimo Donati is one of Celtic's top 3 passers but he's miles away from the team with everyone with. Gattuso isn't has below average technical ability but still a fantastic. There's a lot more to a footballer than passing, you'd tell me that so don't say I even said Reid was anywhere near as good as Brady.
    ziggy wrote:
    This tends to be when people think Naka is anonymous. It's very bloody frustrating when you know a player is heavily involved in a match and so many people think he goes missing. There's no doubt in my mind Naka is judged on the spectacular things he does. Just like Brown is judged on his drives forward and his tackles, or McGeady by how many times he beats a player.

So Montenegro were the better team for 2/3 of the match!
    Typo, edited. :)
    And Montenegro had more possession than Ireland that day as well. Not sure where you're getting your 66%.
    I should have noticed that was a bit much. :D

Stupid ESPN;
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=236142&cc=5739&league=FIFA.WORLDQ.UEFA

Looks like 51.8% is the correct figure:
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/world-cup-qual-/2008/montenegro-rep-ireland-249439.html
    http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/09/10/World-Cup-Ireland-v-Montenegro-Stats-and-Ratings-/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football/
    http://www.skysports.com/football/match_report/0,19764,11065_2947189,00.html

That makes a difference. Maybe we had 66% possession for that good hour in between though!;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement