Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN & DSL gateway on same network?

Options
  • 20-11-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a simple SBS network with an asynchronous Satellite DSL connection. We would like to add an ISDN line to the network so that some clients can RDP outbound through the ISDN connection (better RDP performance) instead of the Satellite connection (poor RDP performance because of latency).

If I connect the ISDN router directly to the switch then clients would need to manually change their gateway when using RDP and then change it back when finished. This is not an option. They need to be able to use the DSL connection for internet and the ISDN connection for RDP. Without any user intervention required.

I’m thinking that I might be able to use a router with two external interfaces, one for DSL and one for ISDN. I could then set up a rule on this router to route all RDP (port 3389) sessions through the ISDN gateway, and everything else through DSL.

I can’t find such a device and I’m wondering if this approach would even work? Is there an easier/better way to do this?

Any thoughts much appreciated..

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

If its a common set of RDP servers then you could add a of static route to each RDP server on each client pc - forcing IP traffic to those destination IP's to use the ISDN gateway IP.

Might save you a few quid if theres not many clients/servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

go to command prompt:

route add -p *target IP address* mask 255.255.255.0 *gateway address*

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Yes, its just one remote RDP server with a static IP address.

So all I need to do is the following on each client?

route add -p *IP Address of RDP Server* mask 255.255.255.0 *Gateway Address of ISDN Router*

Is it that straight forward?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Philbert wrote: »
    Yes, its just one remote RDP server with a static IP address.

So all I need to do is the following on each client?

route add -p *IP Address of RDP Server* mask 255.255.255.0 *Gateway Address of ISDN Router*

Is it that straight forward?!
    As long as the ISDN router is on the same network then I'd believe so yes. But you'd have to give it a lower metric than the default one afaik. I done it few years ago, had a similar scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Thanks for your help guys. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement