Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i get paid?

Options
  • 20-11-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

ok heres the story, i had to go home early on tuesday as i was feeling very unwell , went to the doctor same day and he said i have a bad chest infection , put me on an antibiotic and told me to stay warm drink fluids etc, also gave me a cert for the rest of the week.

I rang in yesterday to say i wouldnt be in , and asked my supervisor to find out if they were gonna pay me , he rang me back a while later to say that he was told they werent paying me, it seems to be there thing now not to pay anyone whos out sick , certed or not.

So i came into work today and gave in my cert , my manager tells me he wants me to go home that i am not fit for work , i tell him im not fit for work but if im no gonna get paid then i have to come in , i have a mortgage bills etc.
    He says i know but my main concern is your health and you are a risk to other people here i want you to go home. (we drive forklifts and other machines here)

I tried ringing the HR department before i left but couldnt get through so left a voicemail and went home ,waiting on a call from them , but to be honest i dont hold out m much hope because a lad i work with idnt get paid either last week when he was out with a shoulder injury.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Two things to keep in mind here:

1) Sick leave don't have to be paid by the company
    2) If you have a sick cert the company can not have you working as the doctor has not said your fit for work (the company would be at risk)

Hence no, you should not be paid and if you want shorter sick leave you need to discuss that with your doctor at the time he signs you out or return and have him sign of that you are healthy and can work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I think you can get money from the HSE or Social Welfare if oyu are off sick and not entitled to sick pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

you should check your contract you signed when you starting working for the company to see the conditions, some companies pay you for the first 3 days you are out and then dont pay after that but unfortunatley, unless your contract states it, they are under no obligation to pay you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

You can claim some money back on the walfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if your out sick you get nothing for the first 3 days out. After that it depends on your contract and lenght of service with your job.

Average is after 1 to 2 years service you get 10/12 sick days. Of any sick leave the first 3 days will not be paid and the remainder paid subject to medical certification. If your illness is directly your own fault the company is not obliged to pay sick pay

If you are not in the job long enough your excess of 3 days sick might be covered by the social welfare depending on PRSI contributions. There is a simple form for you and your doctor to fill in. Your doctor should be able to provide it. What you get will be just about the dole rate.

Other than that take the few days and get better because if you dont you may be making a return visit to the doc again very soon because you didnt recover properly and thus you will be out sick more.

Most doctors sign sick notes without hessitation so ask him to sign a return to work form if you are worry fiancially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭ALFIET

if your out sick you get nothing for the first 3 days out. After that it depends on your contract and lenght of service with your job.

Average is after 1 to 2 years service you get 10/12 sick days. Of any sick leave the first 3 days will not be paid and the remainder paid subject to medical certification. If your illness is directly your own fault the company is not obliged to pay sick pay

If you are not in the job long enough your excess of 3 days sick might be covered by the social welfare depending on PRSI contributions. There is a simple form for you and your doctor to fill in. Your doctor should be able to provide it. What you get will be just about the dole rate.

Other than that take the few days and get better because if you dont you may be making a return visit to the doc again very soon because you didnt recover properly and thus you will be out sick more.

Most doctors sign sick notes without hessitation so ask him to sign a return to work form if you are worry fiancially.

As a hr professional this is quite odd.
    have they only started not paying - was this communicated to all as the new process?
    if others are being paid for sick leave at your level then why not u? are you on disciplinary? Have you been removed from this discretionary payment as a result?
    Everyone is correct - there is no legal entitlement to sick pay and you may have an eligibility for payment thru social welfare.
    However, if an employer sends some one home, they should pay them out of fairness but that is my own way of dealing with this matter rather than a legal must.

Without knowing the company, its procedures, your exact situation etc etc this is not something i would like to advise on nor something i would like to quoted on.

But i would advise you make an apt to meet with your hr dept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

OP how long are you employed at your job?

Advertisement