Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Getting a Dog

Options
  • 20-11-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just some advice needed the gf is at me to get her a dog for christmas, now we are both of the opinion to rescue from a pound or something.

My problem is we both work full time and there is no-one in the house from 8am to 5pm mon - fri, is that neglecting the poor thing to leave it inside/outside for that length of time.

any suggestions or past experiences greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Boom boom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Hi
    Good thinking about a rescue one- too many dogs are abandoned and abused and every dog deserves a good home.
    We got our first rescue about a year, lost of baggage and past of abuse. I took a week off work (we both work full time) and first two days stayed with him all the time to get him familiar with the house. The next days I would leave him for shorter periods of time so he knew every time I left him I eventually came back. My husband took 4 days next week to continue house training, and again, kept leaving him for longer periods, so eventually he got used the idea and was fine with it. Now I will not tell you it wasnt hard- there was some stuff destroyed (about 3 slippers and 100 dvds), but after about a week- he was fine. Waiting for us at the window at about 5 pm, but doing his own thing all day: guess lots of sleeping. To reward his patience he is always taken for a long walk we are back and now loevs his routine. It has been disturbed by a new arrival this week ( second rescue).
    Finally, I know what people are saying that it is cruel to leave dogs for long periods ( they are pack animals after all), but it is still so much better than them living with abuse, neglect or facing putting to sleep in the pound. And you can always consider getting two dogs ( often rescues advertise ''couple'' dogs that arrived there together or became best friends while there) and your problem of loneliness doesnt exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Thanks Woofie

That sounds like a really good idea about taking a little time off to settle them in.

Don't mind things getting chewed that's nearly to be expected :):)

thanks, keep the good advice coming guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

Good luck, I tried getting a dog this past summer, what a head wrecking experience.

First, I found only 1 pet store that actually sold puppies! Correction, "puppy" he was on Parnell Street and the store wasn't clean, and he shouted at the poor animals. I wanted to buy a pure bred with papers, not a hope. Most of the people who sell puppies sell them out of the Buy and Sell and they are about as legitimate as drug dealers.

So next I thought I'd try to pick one up from an animal shelter. I went to the Dublin SPCA website and they were impossible! You think they aren't interested in putting them in good homes! They say they are open on Sunday afternoons, they aren't. They are only open until 16:30 in the afternoon during the week so if you want to pop down there on a week day you have to take the afternoon off work! I did that and guess what, no one answered! Unbelieveable that they've no evening hours. I went out there three different times the gate was always locked. Shower of muppets, really. On the website you can't find what animals actually need homes; but you can sure find a place on the website to buy leads and dog beds.

I found the process extremely frustrating to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Hi Boom Boom,
    Good on you for rescuing for starters.
    First off be prepared for lots of people saying that you cannot keep dogs alone, etc.

What I would suggest if possible, maybe you could consider getting 2 small dogs instead of 1?
    The reason for this is that they keep each other company, we have too dogs, but they are kept outside in a run during the day (while we're at work) and keep each other company. But maybe this might not be an option.

On the other hand my mother has a dog from it was a pup, he is always in doors and is left at home "minding the house" (that's his command to know he is staying) when she is in work. You do feel sorry for him, but he gets all the attention for the rest of the time with her, and she brings him everywhere.
    So point is depending on the type of dog they can become accustomed to it, but be careful if you plan on doing this - there are lots of breeds that wouldn't be suitable anyway and end up tearing the house apart with boredom. I think Labradors are one anyway. The dog she has is a yorkie, wouldn't do much during the day except sleep - in fact at the weekends there is a bit too much activity going on for him, he sneaks off for a sleep during the day.

If it were me I wouldn't have a dog unless it had company of some sort, and for my dogs they room to run around and their own company keeps them happy while I'm not around to walk them and let them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

woofie87 wrote: »
    Hi
    Good thinking about a rescue one- too many dogs are abandoned and abused and every dog deserves a good home.
    We got our first rescue about a year, lost of baggage and past of abuse. I took a week off work (we both work full time) and first two days stayed with him all the time to get him familiar with the house. The next days I would leave him for shorter periods of time so he knew every time I left him I eventually came back. My husband took 4 days next week to continue house training, and again, kept leaving him for longer periods, so eventually he got used the idea and was fine with it. Now I will not tell you it wasnt hard- there was some stuff destroyed (about 3 slippers and 100 dvds), but after about a week- he was fine. Waiting for us at the window at about 5 pm, but doing his own thing all day: guess lots of sleeping. To reward his patience he is always taken for a long walk we are back and now loevs his routine. It has been disturbed by a new arrival this week ( second rescue).
    Finally, I know what people are saying that it is cruel to leave dogs for long periods ( they are pack animals after all), but it is still so much better than them living with abuse, neglect or facing putting to sleep in the pound. And you can always consider getting two dogs ( often rescues advertise ''couple'' dogs that arrived there together or became best friends while there) and your problem of loneliness doesnt exist!

The dog destroyed 100 DVDs ? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

nc6000 wrote: »
    The dog destroyed 100 DVDs ? :eek:

Probably not a film buff, maybe a reality show kinda hound:D

Thanks for this guys I will certainly look at the option if i can afford two dogs a his and hers so to speak, but i think at the moment it will be one dog it will probably be a small to medium dog personally i like cocker spaniels, collies (but i know collies need a lot of excercise)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Good luck, I tried getting a dog this past summer, what a head wrecking experience.

First, I found only 1 pet store that actually sold puppies! Correction, "puppy" he was on Parnell Street and the store wasn't clean, and he shouted at the poor animals. I wanted to buy a pure bred with papers, not a hope. Most of the people who sell puppies sell them out of the Buy and Sell and they are about as legitimate as drug dealers.

So next I thought I'd try to pick one up from an animal shelter. I went to the Dublin SPCA website and they were impossible! You think they aren't interested in putting them in good homes! They say they are open on Sunday afternoons, they aren't. They are only open until 16:30 in the afternoon during the week so if you want to pop down there on a week day you have to take the afternoon off work! I did that and guess what, no one answered! Unbelieveable that they've no evening hours. I went out there three different times the gate was always locked. Shower of muppets, really. On the website you can't find what animals actually need homes; but you can sure find a place on the website to buy leads and dog beds.

I found the process extremely frustrating to say the least.

I don't think anyone should ever buy a puppy from a pet store ... and yes, your're right about the Buy and Sell, and Done Deal, you need to really be sure of what you're looking for, and be very thorough with vet checks, and checking lineage etc. There is no need to spend all that money anyway on a pedigree when all you're looking for is a companion ....

Fair play to you OP for going down the rescue route. You'll find it very rewarding. There are loads of other shelters other than the DSPCA - I'd recommend looking at www.irishanimals.ie for links to other shelters. The one I'd recommend is www.paws.ie but there are plenty who do great work for animals in need.

Edit: Paws primarily rehome retired and rescued greyhounds, they're great pets- have a look here:
    http://www.greyhound-data.com/adoption.htm?id=326&filter_sex=&x=&z=4_KEor

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ecaf wrote: »
    Hi Boom Boom,
    Good on you for rescuing for starters.
    First off be prepared for lots of people saying that you cannot keep dogs alone, etc.
    Dogs are pack animals, so leaving them alone for a lot of the day (I'm talking 12 hours, 6 days a week) is unnatural for them and can result in quite a nervous dog.
    However, you can't expect a dog to be kept company 24 hours a day, so provided that the alone time is minimised I don't think it's a big issue.
    What I would suggest if possible, maybe you could consider getting 2 small dogs instead of 1?
    The reason for this is that they keep each other company, we have too dogs, but they are kept outside in a run during the day (while we're at work) and keep each other company. But maybe this might not be an option.
    I too would recommend this. My parents got two Jack Russells - brothers. My Dad works from an office beside the house and my Mum also works from there, but they still have to spend a lot of the day in their run because people have to work!
    They don't appear to be any the worse for it, and having eachother as company seems to do them a lot of good. They don't whine or moan in the run or fight against you to stay out of it.

What I've heard of other people doing, if it was possible, is to have one of you arrive home for your lunch some of the days, which breaks up the day for the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Boom Boom wrote: »

Well, that was obviously an exaggeration, but many many dvds got it! Including Bad Boys set, which nearly made my husband cry! He just really had it in for them, nothing else was destroyed with same passion and consistence day after day! You would think we'd get smarter and put them somewhere safe, but nah, we firmly believed that day was the last day, until the next day we cam back and more remains on the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sprinkless Spanky Its actually illegal to sell puppies from pet shops so thats why you wont find any there. Try ringing a reputable breeder for the chosen breed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I got my rescue little girl during the summer and I too took sometime off work to get her acclimatised to her new surroundings.
    I must admit I think I was very very lucky as she was already housetrained and the most placid little thing ever.

As I live alone and have to work she is on her own for quite a bit of the day and I do have guilts about it from time to time.
    But when I am with her she is spoilt and goes everywhere with me & she goes utterly out of her brain with excitement every single evening when I come home to her.
    So despite my absense during the day I think it is more than made up for when I am with her & don't think she'd swap her life even if she could!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

in the uk unlike ireland the dogs rescues will not let you have a dog if it is to be left alone for over 6 hrs

Glowing wrote: »
    I don't think anyone should ever buy a puppy from a pet store ... and yes, your're right about the Buy and Sell, and Done Deal, you need to really be sure of what you're looking for, and be very thorough with vet checks, and checking lineage etc. There is no need to spend all that money anyway on a pedigree when all you're looking for is a companion ....

Fair play to you OP for going down the rescue route. You'll find it very rewarding. There are loads of other shelters other than the DSPCA - I'd recommend looking at www.irishanimals.ie for links to other shelters. The one I'd recommend is www.paws.ie but there are plenty who do great work for animals in need.

Edit: Paws primarily rehome retired and rescued greyhounds, they're great pets- have a look here:
    http://www.greyhound-data.com/adoption.htm?id=326&filter_sex=&x=&z=4_KEor

I was looking at two or three specific breeds based on the research I had done, that is why I was looking for a pure breed.

Does anyone know where you cna buy a pure breed in Ireland with papers? A reputable source? Like I said I am looking for a few certian breeds based on the research I have done. I really don't want a dog with a lot of issues, I'd prefer a pure breed puppy.

getz wrote: »
    in the uk unlike ireland the dogs rescues will not let you have a dog if it is to be left alone for over 6 hrs

So they just euthanize them instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

in the uk very few dogs are put down -there are lots of dog charities bringing in money for the different dogs homes-only in ireland do they put dogs down after a couple of days---for a good pedigree dog in ireland go to irishdogs ie a irish dog lovers web site

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sprinkless spanky
    What breed are you looking for in particular? Of course you can buy dogs with papers. If you know what breed you want, you can contact the IKC and get the breed club secretaries number and they will put you in contact with some good breeders.

Most rescue centres dont put down any of the animals unless they are sick or injured badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

If you were willing to adopt a pair or dogs or one dog and then adopt a companion later and also maybe hire somebody to come in during the day and let them out in the garden and also give them a short walk (maybe 20 mins) in the morning and a long walk in the evening (1 hr +) and maybe try and spend plenty of time playing and take them somerewhere different for a walk on the weekends/whenever you have time off (i.e. go to the woods or the beach or whatever) then I think it would be OK.

That way the dog(s) would have company all day or their own kind, plus a break during the day to go to the "bathroom" and then have plenty of exersize in the evening plus somewhere new to go.

as for a companion dog, as I've said before greyhounds make a great 2nd dog to keep the first dog company as they are generally 100% sociable with other dogs so all you have to do is make sure your first dog accepts the greyhound which isn't usually a problem with a friendly/sociable dog thats mixed with other dogs before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I really don't want a dog with a lot of issues, I'd prefer a pure breed puppy.

This is a myth. Dogs in shelters don't necessarily have 'issues', some of them have been lost, some have been surrendered cos the owner has had a baby or moved abroad, some are just pups! You can get pedigree's in shelters too.

Why do you want a pure breed? They do tend to have more health issues so you need to be careful that you do the necessary vet checks e.g. hip displaysia etc, before you hand over a penny. Did you watch that show on tv "Pedigree Dogs exposed"? I'd watch that before making up your mind .....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Incheerocket

If you really want a pedigree dog with papers go the the Irish Kennel Club website or showdogs ireland website and you will find reputable breeders. I would stay clear of donedeal as there are a lot that say they are legit breeders but are puppy farmers to be stayed well clear of. or find a good rescue pound, irishanimals.ie It is nice for them to have company, but don't forget you've got double the trouble!!...200 dvd's not 100!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Boom Boom wrote: »

Thanks for this guys I will certainly look at the option if i can afford two dogs a his and hers so to speak, but i think at the moment it will be one dog it will probably be a small to medium dog personally i like cocker spaniels, collies (but i know collies need a lot of exercise)

Just to note - I have a cocker, they are a bit mental and need lots of space and exercise. I don't keep her in doors, she is out day and night besides in the evenings after work, and at the weekends.
    Luckily we have lots of space around the house & yard, and some fields to run her in.

Don't know if you would get many of them in dog rescues anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

OP, would you consider adopting an older dog. We recently adopted a 10 year greyhound with quite a lot of spark in her. Luckily, our dogs are never on their own for too long due to favourable shift patterns but I know if we do have to leave her she is quite happy after a walk to spend the day sleeping on the sofa. A lot of people won't consider an older dog but its very rewarding. Give me one over a puppy anyday! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

"We reason that if someone really wants to adopt an animal, they will make an effort and come during that 11am to 3pm window. If you are out working all day and need time off work to come and see our animals, we would not give you a puppy anyway. They cannot be left alone all day while you are out at work."

That's a bit unfair and judgemental isn't it? It's not just retired people and those who are at home all day who are suitable dog-owners.

I understand that the shelters are busy and understaffed but surely the priority is rehoming the dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

An empty house from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday is not a suitable home for a puppy.

The shelter's priority is to find responsible, loving and appropriate homes for the animals in their care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

boomerang wrote: »
    An empty house from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday is not a suitable home for a puppy.

The shelter's priority is to find responsible, loving and appropriate homes for the animals in their care.

I understand your point on the 8 to 6pm hours for a puppy, but you made the point that only people who can call into you between 11 and 3 are suitable dog owners. Surely you are putting people off rehoming a dog/puppy?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

OP, most rescues will not rehome dogs around Christmas time. It's not a good time to be settling a dog into a new home as the Christmas Routine tends to be a lot busier, lots of people coming and going etc. If you want to get your gf a dog for Christmas, maybe keep your eye out on the rescue websites and if you find one either get them settled in before Christmas, or wait until after Christmas, but have a picture to give your GF on Christmas Day.

I would also recommend going with 2 dogs to keep eachother company while you are out during the day and obviously making sure they're walked in the morning before you leave for work, and again in the evening on your return, with plenty of toys etc. to keep them occupied during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

deemark wrote: »
    I understand your point on the 8 to 6pm hours for a puppy, but you made the point that only people who can call into you between 11 and 3 are suitable dog owners. Surely you are putting people off rehoming a dog/puppy?

I never said that! My point is, even if you work full time, you can still come to see us on a Saturday afternoon, or you can take a few hours off during on a weekday afternoon to come and visit. If someone is so busy and so tied down that they can't take a spin out to us during the daily four hour window that we provide six days a week, then you would wonder how on earth they're going to have time for the dog, if they do adopt one?

I wouldn't normally rehome a dog to someone who would leave it home alone all day during the working week. There are exceptional dogs who can cope with that kind of routine, but they are in the minority.

The bottom line here is that we cannot facilitate the public by giving them access to the sanctuary for more than four hours a day, six days a week. You would actually have to come and spend a day with us at the sanctuary to see how much work there is to do, and how the phone rings and rings, and people come without an appointment and need your time and advice, when you've a list of jobs to do as long as your arm!

I don't believe any genuine person who wants to offer a loving home to a dog would be put off by the fact that we have set opening times? You know what, pet shops have set opening times. Does that put people off buying a guinea pig or a rabbit or a hamster? If you want to buy a dog from the Buy and Sell, the vendor will tell you when he's free for you to come and see the dog. If you want a dog from the pound, you'll have to go there during their opening times - and most pounds are closed all weekend and on Bank Holidays. I don't follow your line of reasoning.

We're not trying to put anyone off getting a dog, but we can't run a 24/7 rehoming service either. No rescue can. Look at the pound in Limerick for god sake - they're only answer the phone for an hour in the morning and are closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. At least we endeavour to provide a round-the-clock phone service, so if you want to talk to us about adopting a dog before coming out to see the sanctuary, you can do that at any time that suits you.

Advertisement