Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution Theory is Error

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

CDfm wrote: »
    Very succinct AH - and something I can say we agree on.:)

Yes but nobody is suggesting that it is a scientific model. It's a philosophical position that is rather unique in not being at least partially contradicted by scientific observation.

As I said though, that matter and the implications of it are way off topic. Take it to the appropriate thread?

I take it you're now satisfied that the peer review system is decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I am not in the least offended - too Christian for that.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't care if it offends. It was just "A statement of fact".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Oh don't get me wrong I don't care if it offends. It was just "A statement of fact".
    I think it would be unethical of you to accept any Christmas pressies this year:D:D

Yes but nobody is suggesting that it is a scientific model. It's a philosophical position that is rather unique in not being at least partially contradicted by scientific observation.

I take it you're now satisfied that the peer review system is decent?

I have no probs with it as a philosophical position.

My probs arise when pseudo science is applied to faith matters - and the whole atheist superiority thing kicks in.

I am a bit sceptical of the peer review system - perhaps I dont know enough about it in the field of science. Maybe its something I read:D

I have no probs with it as a philosophical position.

My probs arise when pseudo science is applied to faith matters - and the whole atheist superiority thing kicks in.

Example? Please don't bring up Dawkins yet again.
    I am a bit sceptical of the peer review system - perhaps I dont know enough about it in the field of science. Maybe its something I read:D

Have a look at this: Science Says

It's my take on how science enters the public consciousness. Not at all comprehensive but it'll give you an idea of the value of peer review and how it is largely ignored outside the scientific community, creating the perception that the system is broken.

Alternatively: Bad Science, an entire website dedicated to debunking rubbish science as it enters the mainstream.

• Advertisement

Example? Please don't bring up Dawkins yet again.

Have a look at this: Science Says

It's my take on how science enters the public consciousness. Not at all comprehensive but it'll give you an idea of the value of peer review and how it is largely ignored outside the scientific community, creating the perception that the system is broken.

Alternatively: Bad Science, an entire website dedicated to debunking rubbish science as it enters the mainstream.

Who?

Thanks - I will have a look :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Scientifically the theory of evolution is incorrect, it was theory put forward by Darwin over one hundred years ago and since that nobody has proved this theory but in fact evidence exists that the theory has no basis whatsoever:

Neither could they produce a single useful amino acid or protein, nor could they prove – despite thousands of experiments – that mutations can have beneficial effects and cause evolution.

Now I am a scientist by profession but science should not be abused in this way.
    Given you being a scientist and I being just a lowly student of drama-film, I am in no way qualified to make a scientific argument. But something is troubling me in what you have stated above. You have used the words "proved" and "prove," which, if I recall are not words appropriate to science, but rather math or logic or law? I was under the impression that science and scientists never "prove" anything, but rather suggest educated guesses they sometimes call theories, which they hold with caution so long as the data tends to support them?

Sources:
    http://www.holycross.edu/departments/biology/kprestwi/behavior/e&be_notes/E&BE_04_Sci_Meth&Philo.pdf
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/sciproof.html
    http://www.carlton.srsd119.ca/chemical/Proof/default.htm

Given you being a scientist, and I being just a lowly student of drama-film, I am in no way qualified to make a scientific argument.

If you understand the scientific method and are familiar with the relevant data, you are as qualified as you need to be. A philosophical scientist rather than a professional scientist. :pac:
    But something is troubling me in what you have stated above. You have used the words "proved" and "prove," which, if I recall are not words appropriate to science, but rather math or logic or law? I was under the impression that science and scientists never "prove" anything, but rather suggest educated guesses they sometimes call theories, which they hold with caution so long as the data tends to support them?

Sources:
    http://www.holycross.edu/departments/biology/kprestwi/behavior/e&be_notes/E&BE_04_Sci_Meth&Philo.pdf
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/sciproof.html
    http://www.carlton.srsd119.ca/chemical/Proof/default.htm

Pretty much correct. Except that the "educated guess" model is called a hypothesis, whereas a "theory" is a model that is considered by majority consensus to represent reality.

Models are supported by data or falsified by it (assuming the data is relevant), you are correct that "proving" does not enter into the matter. I don't believe for a moment that Gareth is a scientist in the philosophical or professional sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Also, it should be borne in mind that he's using some new definition of 'scientist': See here. That is what he does or supposed to be, apparently.

Presumably he's also using some new definition of 'profession'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

But dont claim scepticism is science just cos you cant relate to a theist belief system.

Science is essentially a very organised sceptical process. They are largely congruous.
    I respect your beliefs dont diss mine.

I have nothing but contempt for your beliefs. I seriously doubt that you respect my position, you clearly don't understand it very well. I can imagine why you want to encourage an enviornment of mutual feigned respect though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm a ghost-buster...does that make me scientist?:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Pretty much correct. Except that the "educated guess" model is called a hypothesis, whereas a "theory" is a model that is considered by majority consensus to represent reality.
    Yes! Thank you. I am beginning to remember something from school... Hypotheses were said to be bite-sized pieces of theory, deduced for testing, although they could be inductively derived in some cases, emerging from data, both sometimes modifying existent theory, or refuting it (Wallace's Wheel of Science just popped into my head as a reference). Oh... theory was formally constructed to explain, predict, describe, show covariation, rule out spuriousness, and exhibit all the necessary conditions to be sufficient?

In any case, theory can at times be modified from what the original proposer suggested (e.g., Darwin), especially when new data suggests such revisions? It doesn't mean that the whole theory is tossed out (i.e., baby with the bathwater), like Gareth37 suggested in his OP, but rather it still may have merit as theory after revisions?

In any case, theory can at times be modified from what the original proposer suggested (e.g., Darwin), especially when new data suggests such revisions? It doesn't mean that the whole theory is tossed out (i.e., baby with the bathwater), like Gareth37 suggested in his OP, but rather it still may have merit as theory after revisions?

Integration is far more common than revolution. New information requires us to modify our existing theories every day.

Exactly correct. In fact Darwin's theory has already undergone extensive development. When we talk about the theory of evolution today we mean the combination of Darwin's concepts of variation and natural selection with Mendel's concepts of genetic inheritance all tied together with modern molecular genetics. We call this the modern synthesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I think it would be unethical of you to accept any Christmas pressies this year:D:D

Smart ass I won't even be in the country.

Zillah wrote: »
    Integrated is far more common than revolution. New information requires us to modify our existing theories every day.

Certainly seems to be so these days. Even the rather revolutionary theory of relativity allows us to continue using Newton's work for more narrow applications. Of course it's hard to say for certain but it looks like we're getting better at this modelling business since the days of phrenology and lamarckianism :pac:

I can imagine why you want to encourage an enviornment of mutual feigned respect though.

Zillah - I dont have an aghenda and I do respect atheist beliefs - but of course if someone is hostile to my beliefs - i stick up for my beliefs.

If I see someone who is either atheist or agnostic posting a point of view on a christian thread and not getting a fair hearing -that annoys me.

I found some of the atheist/scientist posts on the now defunct abortion threads very factual and philosophical moreso than either side of the debate.A lot more balanced IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Are we done with this?

That guy reaked of Kent Hovind.

Nobody told me of Dinosaur Adventure Land - its a real place.

Woohoo - I have an alternative holiday destination.

Anyone been there?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

According to the Le Châtelier Principle, it is not possible for a reaction that releases water to take place in a hydrate environment.
    Now I am a scientist by profession but science should not be abused in this way.

As a "scientist" you would know that Le Châtelier Principle states; "If a chemical system at equilibrium experiences a change in concentration, temperature, volume, or total pressure, then the equilibrium shifts to partially counter-act the imposed change."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

As a "scientist" you would know that Le Châtelier Principle states; "If a chemical system at equilibrium experiences a change in concentration, temperature, volume, or total pressure, then the equilibrium shifts to partially counter-act the imposed change."

How'd I miss that Gareth post?

Yeah, had to learn that one by rote for the LC.

How'd I miss that Gareth post?

Yeah, had to learn that one by rote for the LC.
    You just reached post 666.

Cadburys is proof that atheists dont have all the best chocolate. I dont know of any atheist Chocolatiers.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Scientifically the theory of evolution is incorrect, it was theory put forward by Darwin over one hundred years ago and since that nobody has proved this theory but in fact evidence exists that the theory has no basis whatsoever:

Proteins cannot form in the oceans because the reaction in which two amino acids bond together releases a water molecule. According to the Le Châtelier Principle, it is not possible for a reaction that releases water to take place in a hydrate environment.

Neither could they produce a single useful amino acid or protein, nor could they prove – despite thousands of experiments – that mutations can have beneficial effects and cause evolution.

Modern technology has allowed humans to discover some aspects of the cell. What was thought to be a murky lump during the time of Darwin has been discovered to be an unimaginably complex system.

http://www.albalagh.net/kids/science/evolution.shtml
    Oh please there is the science forum for this! Btw there is so much evidence for Evolution but obviously ignorance is bliss in your case. Try reading about the subject. There thousands of publications, books, scientific journals on the subject from a galore of different authors such as Richard Dawkins to name one popular biologist in evolution off the top of my head. I got a recent copy of the National Geographic magazine and there was an article of Wallace whom also came up with a similar theory at the same time of Darwin.

What extremely annoys about your post is have explained nothing at all without anything to back up your dubious claims you have asserted. Not everything is clear cut in Evolution I will admit that because it isn't a process we can witness in out short existence and there are many gaps certainly in fossil records. Irreducible complexity has never been proven if that's what you happen to assert. And if it's some ridiculous Creationism or the Intelligent Design theory you happen to accept there is always room over in the Christianity forum for you I'm sure people will welcome your views more there. After all religion likes to think not questioning things is a virtue and lack of evidence is fine because they can just insert God at every opportunity!

Oh by the way I clicked on your link and realised it is an Islamic version of trying to disprove Evolution. Well both the Bible and the Qur'an are false in my opinion.

Another note, I notice how you have put theory in bold as though it is something which is weak. Obviously you don't understand what a theory in science means and you claim yourself to be a scientist? Odd indeed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Welcome back, UU. It's been a while!

btw - Gareth37 is banned for a while so don't expect a response.

I should really lock this thread or something...

Dades wrote: »

BC&P thread is pretty quiet these days so if you lock this one I'll have nowhere to go.

Dades wrote: »

Nah, don't - it's sort of turning into the A&A chatroom at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Sometimes I wonder if there actually are any creationists on the internet or are they all just posters trying to wind up atheist. Looks like gareth was successful in this regard

No he really is just a crazy person. He thinks his house is bugged by Satanic forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

No he really is just a crazy person. He thinks his house is bugged by Satanic forces.

No no no, he thinks it is bugged by paddy power (Who are under the influence of Satanic forces)

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    No no no, he thinks it is bugged by paddy power (Who are under the influence of Satanic forces)

I thought he was buggered by the devil?

Advertisement