Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution Theory is Error

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Considering he doesn't know what a theory is he probably isn't a scientist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This monstrosity is less than a day old? Despair, for the Anti-Christ has been birthed.

Zillah wrote: »
    This monstrosity is less than a day old? Despair, for the Anti-Christ has been birthed.

I'm gonna call BS on that right now. They said the Anti-Christ would be charismatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You do know that you can accept that God doesn't exist and recognise that the evolution theory is correct??

Do you recognise that someone can be a Christian and can also accept that evolution theory is correct? Not every Christian is a creationist and it disappoints me to see a person have his intelligence dismissed just because he is religious.

And before you say it, I'm not affiliated with any organized religion.
    Originally posted by Galvasean
    I'm gonna call BS on that right now. They said the Anti-Christ would be charismatic.

Bah! All the charisma in the world couldn't save him from the grasp of the prince of darkness.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Gareth37 wrote: »
    First of all I would say that my own theories are from the Internet and only used as a stimuli. From what I can see here, scientifically nobody here nor any other great scientist can prove the theory nor can they prove otherwise.

No scientist in the history of the world has ever proved any scientific theory.

You keep ignoring this point (presumably because you don't understand what science is that well). Science is not about proving things. It is impossible to prove anything in science. Proof is a mathematical concept.

Let me state this again. No scientific theory has ever been proven
    1. The athiest community, for which I believe many will be given a chance to convert in their lives, wish to accept a theory and use it to support a doctrine against God.

No theory of biological evolution has ever mentioned God, so your assertion is a little hard to believe.
    2. Many athiests believe than even if this theory could be proved that it would prove the Bible wrong.

You don't need evolution to demonstrate a literal interpretation of the history described in the Bible is wrong. A basic understanding of geography does that.

Few atheists I know use evolution as their reason for not believing in God. There are plenty of similar, clearer, more relevant reasons.
    If evolution were to prove true then what we should say is: Look at what we have been allowed to learn about our planet and a certain part of our universe. Lets use this for the good of God and in a way that God meant.

Evolution has been demonstrated to be a highly accurate theory, and plenty of Christians are happy to accept this fact.
    3. The supporters of the theory of evolution fail to point out that the prophets of this doctrine, like Hawkins etc, are using the anti Bible slant to sell more literature and gain more publicity.

Yes, terrible isn't it :rolleyes:

I just hate it when people write books and make money from selling them to people who want to buy them. Down with this sort of thing!
    What they fail to realise is that even if this individual had such great wisdom to understand the origon of man on this planet that the messages against God that these prophets are teaching don't mean anything.

Well thankfully you are hear to point that out to everyone. I'm sure after pages of utter scientific nonsense coming from your posts most people here deeply respect what you have to say on this matter ...
    4. No matter what we learn scientifically there is no explanation as to why we exist other than God.

There are plenty of other explanations, you just don't believe any of them. In fact nearly every other religion has an alternative explanation, explanations that plenty of other people believe.

You want to demonstrate to the rest of us that your religion got it right and everyone else's got it wrong?
    It doesn't matter what science says, the beginning of the world and our placement here has a meaning, a purpose that is beyond the understanding of the human mind.

It is beyond the understanding of the human mind but you feel confident to say that a deity worshiped by middle easter goat farmers 6000 years ago who appears to be modeled on some kind of human father figure, was responsible?

That is rather a lot of understand for something you claim no one can understand :rolleyes:
    So just maybe, Im saying maybe, people could pick up a copy of the Bible, read the New Testament and decide if they have found something in themselves that raises questions about their lives and the world.

Indeed. My Bible study is a bit rusty. So perhaps you could refresh my memory of the passages in the New Testament that explain what happened at the Big Bang .... ?
    for no matter what science does or say it can't save us from death nor from judgement if you are a Christian.

I agree 100% with that, science ain't going to save you from death (not for a few 100 years at least), but then most likely nothing can save you from death. Whether you believe otherwise is rather immaterial to that. Death doesn't care.

It is not a reason to have a go at science, or evolution, simply because science isn't telling you what you want to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge" or "knowing") is the effort to discover, and increase human understanding of how the physical world works. Through controlled methods, scientists use observable physical evidence of natural phenomena to collect data, and analyze this information to explain what and how things work. Such methods include experimentation that tries to simulate natural phenomena under controlled conditions and thought experiments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

That is what I do or supposed to be - must do more now.
    [citation needed]

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

I can't respond to everything and I don't want to see the scientific evidence but this is the only language some people think.

This is akin to putting your fingers in your ears and screaming "i can't hear you!"
    For people to think that the earth developed naturally is plausable (with the direction of God) but to think that at the very very start a concept beyond our minds does not exist is not only a mistake but impossible. No matter how much you think about it the only result is that a supernatural force, as described in the Bible, must be behind the earth and the universe and what they contain.

The problem is all in this paragraph. Gareth, while I would never dismiss anyone's beliefs, I would dismiss your logic, which you seem to display little of. While you can believe that the "only result is that a supernatural force, as described in Bible, must be behind the earth and the universe and what they contain", the problem is that this can't be the only result logically speaking. It's just nonsense. It might well be one possible reason, but hardly the only one!

So the real problem is that everyone on this thread has spent a lot of time trying to rationalise with someone who clearly doesn't use logic or rationality to define their thoughts! Which is not necessarily a bad thing for you Gareth, just means that everyone else may have been wasting their time :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

HOLY SH*T, IT'S ONLY A THEORY?!?!?!?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'VE BEEN DUPED!!! DUUUUUUUUPPPPEDDDDDD!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Dave! wrote: »
    HOLY SH*T, IT'S ONLY A THEORY?!?!?!?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'VE BEEN DUPED!!! DUUUUUUUUPPPPEDDDDDD!!!!!

wait till you find out what the theory of gravity is .... !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Wicknight wrote: »
    wait till you find out what the theory of gravity is .... !!

Oh Shiit!

I've strapped myself to my chair in case Gareth disproves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 maxedw

****, looks like Sarah Palin was right...dinosaurs 4 thousand years ago who'd have thunk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

...a scientist?....a scientist?...dear lord man you can barely string a sentence together!!
    You've been 'warshipping evoluting theory'? ...intresting.

You do realise that you are not a scientist right? Maybe you recieved your Internet diploma last week from some creationst institute and it's filled you with some sort of maddening courage to speak your mind with the backing of this new found academia behind you - but believe me you are about to wake up with a massive intellectual hangover...

I'd like to think you're a troll - that would explain everythng nicely but unfortunatley I have actually encountered poeple like you talking about Einstein and what not on the one hand yet barely able to tie their own shoe laces on the other...in the words of Uma Thurman in Kill Bill
    'go home to your mother'.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Now I am a scientist by profession but science should not be abused in this way.
    http://www.albalagh.net/kids/science/evolution.shtml

Presumably a typo right?
    Now I am a not scientist by profession but science should not be abused in this way.
    http://www.albalagh.net/kids/science/evolution.shtml

Can we stop feeding him now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭MrDaithi

Evolution Theory is Error

I love the grammar. I guess that's the effect of too much self-denial.

Let me get down to your level: No, you are Error.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Botany Bay

Creationists really are a fine collection of intellectual retards. Evolution is the underpinning of biology. Indeed, biology makes little sense without evolutionary theory.

Of course this is lost on the simpletons who attack a theory, they know little of and have made a pathetic attempt in trying to understand. It still doesn't surprise me, how many times a group of people can use strawman arguments in relation to one topic.

I tell you what, if you have such a problem with the field of biology. Why don't you match your words with your actions. If you have such a problem with the processes, models and theories underpinning biology. Then im sure you won't be partaking in the benefits, applications and technologies.

So please refrain from using anti-biotics, Retroviral drugs and pretty much every other bio-medical and biochemical application and technology. Do us all a big favour, and be consistent. Folow up your verbal diarrhea with ome constructive physical objection to the benefits accruing from evolutionary theory.

Put your faith in your God. Let nature take it's course. Of course we all know you're the very hypocrites who will be clamouring for the very applications, when you have bacterial or viral infections. You don't seem to have a problem with the underlying biological models then, do you???

Personally i'd deny these benefits and applications to creationists. Let them fare without.

I'd also make the point, that anyone who really understands biological evolution, should in all honesty have a really hard time reconciling that with a theistic God. In essence if you really understoood the theory. Then you really wouldn't be a Christian, Muslim, Jew. Unless of course, you're playing mental hoola-hoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I'd also make the point, that anyone who really understands biological evolution, should in all honesty have a really hard time reconciling that with a theistic God. In essence if you really understood the theory. Then you really wouldn't be a Christian, Muslim, Jew. Unless of course, you're playing mental hoola-hoops.

Well yeah but a large proportion of the population wouldn't be able to handle god being imaginary. I tried finding a video of the Silicon Heaven bit from red dwarf but a written description will have to do http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Heaven .

You kinda have to accept not everyone is as rational as you. While you can accept that there is no god and behave rationally, some people are just idiots and might start murdering school children. Because, as they see it, there are no longer any consequences to their actions. i.e. What's the point in behaving if your not going to be judged at the end of this life?

Also for most people god kinda acts as an anti suicide protector. i.e. They wouldn't be able to accept that they are simply a highly evolved carbon based organism, that is about as significant to the universe as a whole, as a single celled organism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Is there a full moon tonight?

Botany Bay wrote: »
    Creationists really are a fine collection of intellectual retards. Evolution is the underpinning of biology. Indeed, biology makes little sense without evolutionary theory.

Of course this is lost on the simpletons who attack a theory, they know little of and have made a pathetic attempt in trying to understand. It still doesn't surprise me, how many times a group of people can use strawman arguments in relation to one topic.

I tell you what, if you have such a problem with the field of biology. Why don't you match your words with your actions. If you have such a problem with the processes, models and theories underpinning biology. Then im sure you won't be partaking in the benefits, applications and technologies.

So please refrain from using anti-biotics, Retroviral drugs and pretty much every other bio-medical and biochemical application and technology. Do us all a big favour, and be consistent. Folow up your verbal diarrhea with ome constructive physical objection to the benefits accruing from evolutionary theory.

Put your faith in your God. Let nature take it's course. Of course we all know you're the very hypocrites who will be clamouring for the very applications, when you have bacterial or viral infections. You don't seem to have a problem with the underlying biological models then, do you???

Personally i'd deny these benefits and applications to creationists. Let them fare without.

I'd also make the point, that anyone who really understands biological evolution, should in all honesty have a really hard time reconciling that with a theistic God. In essence if you really understoood the theory. Then you really wouldn't be a Christian, Muslim, Jew. Unless of course, you're playing mental hoola-hoops.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/blueywolf/db051218.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

This thread's brilliant! Haven't laughed so hard in ages, and I needed cheering up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This thread's brilliant! Haven't laughed so hard in ages, and I needed cheering up tonight.

Can you explain what's got you down using nothing but evolution/creationism/religious/atheist metaphors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Zillah wrote: »
    Can you explain what's got you down using nothing but evolution/creationism/religious/atheist metaphors?

I completely misread that post. And, er, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I don't mean this to sound like a troll or anything but I keep seeing creationists explain how evolution etc is incorrect with various claims similar to the OP. Rather than disproving evolution et al are there any creationists theories about the creation of the universe other than "God did it" What I mean to say is, are there any theories out there that try to explain HOW God did these things or is it just taken as a given? I'm not trying to knock creationists. I believe that each person should have their own beliefs and not try to FORCE them upon anyone. However I am just curious: Is there creationist research into HOW the universe/life came into being or is it jusw research how the universe/live did NOT come into being?

For the record, I'm an athiest but I try to listen with an open mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yixAOfyAXoY :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Scientifically the theory of evolution is incorrect

Scientific evidence please.
    Now I am a scientist by profession but science should not be abused in this way.

A creation scientist? Or a 'conventionally qualified' scientist working in an area unrelated to creation? Either way, can you show us a single instance of creation science?

...thought not. :yawn:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Why do creationists constantly seem to try and disprove the theory of evolution by attacking either Abiogenesis or various cosmological theories (such as the big bang).

Even if someone found undeniable evidence tomorrow that tiny little robots from a nearby star hand built single celled lifeforms and left them here, the theory of evolution would still be entirely compatable with that.

oeb wrote: »
    Why do creationists constantly seem to try and disprove the theory of evolution by attacking either Abiogenesis or various cosmological theories (such as the big bang).

Because it would be too hard to take on evolution directly since the theory is pretty air tight.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Because it would be too hard to take on evolution directly since the theory is pretty air tight.

But it makes no sense what so ever.

That's like me saying that I can disprove gravity because I found a made up website that claims to prove that absolute zero is possibly a degree lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's because they don't understand it mate, so they don't know what the theory explains...

Either that or it's a political move, ie. they point out the limited knowledge of the origin of the universe, so therefore life can't be explained

Dave! wrote: »
    It's because they don't understand it mate, so they don't know what the theory explains...

Either that or it's a political move, ie. they point out the limited knowledge of the origin of the universe, so therefore life can't be explained

I don't know. It just seems to me that they must be uncomfortable with their own faith. All evolution disproves is a literal interpritation of the Old Testement. No matter how many times I hear abut the fundies, I can't honestly believe that people actually think that someone actually believes the earth was flooded (Where did the water go? How did the plants survive? Why, if all the animals came off in one place (Noah's ark), why are certain creatures native to certain places? IE why is there marsupials in Australia but not in Russia?

How odd, evolution explains them easily.

Evolution does not disprove your god. How can it? How can anything disprove something that you claim exists outside of space and time? We can not disprove your god any more than you can prove that your god exists. Do you have such a lack of faith that you believe attacking solid scientific knowlage with something that is in a book more than 2000 years old will save you? When I was a practicing christian I always thought that it was not the historicial accuracy of the bible that was important, but the message it convayed. That is what the local priests thought me, that is what my teachers thought me, that is what my parents thought me. (Since then I have discovered that the message it conveys is a load of crap, but that's beside the point).

Please note, when I use the word 'you' in this thread, I am not refering to anyone in particular, more fundies in general.

For the record, I wonder would it be ok to change my sig to

"Creationism: Because reading one book is like way easier than reading all those other hard ones"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

oeb wrote: »
    All evolution disproves is a literal interpritation of the Old Testement.

I don't agree, evolution leaves it all looking pretty much like nonsense. If you accept we evolved, then 65 million years ago, yours and mine direct ancestors were small furry creatures. Since then we've evolved gradually (each generation looking no different from their parents than you do from yours) a continuous population of breeding adults.

It leaves claims about souls, original sin, being created in 'his' image, dominion over the world, eternal life (and probably many more) in tatters.

The evolutionary theist will do some hand waving and try to insert a soul and a bit of God's design at some point, but it's entirely unnecessary, entirely unsupported by evidence, and entirely wishful thinking.

Advertisement