Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lismore park - WIT parking there

Options
  • 20-11-2008 9:24am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭

jhegarty wrote: »
    everyone from the industrial estate can just park in wit now...

they charge in the WIT now and everyone in the WIT now parks in and around Lismore park...much to the announce of all the people living there (and rightly so).

Although to curb some of the crazy parking around Lismore they've put down a fair few double yellow lines,

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

everyone from the industrial estate can just park in wit now...

Front car park is barrier controlled and best of luck getting a space in the back :p I believe a permit system is now being brought it though.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    they charge in the WIT now and everyone in the WIT now parks in and around Lismore park...much to the announce of all the people living there (and rightly so).

Although to curb some of the crazy parking around Lismore they've put down a fair few double yellow lines,

/quote]

Parking still free - its just barrier controlled (though a bit random - a barrier was missing yesterday). As for Lismore Park - if spaces are free, I personally dont see the harm. Its those parking illegaly and blocking up roads that are the problem but residents seem to want every inch of the estate to themselves. As far as I am aware they cant just put traffic cones and red tape over a space and claim it as theirs. College should have addressed this problem ages ago. */rant*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »

Parking still free - its just barrier controlled (though a bit random - a barrier was missing yesterday). As for Lismore Park - if spaces are free, I personally dont see the harm. Its those parking illegaly and blocking up roads that are the problem but residents seem to want every inch of the estate to themselves. As far as I am aware they cant just put traffic cones and red tape over a space and claim it as theirs. College should have addressed this problem ages ago. */rant*

I know on a few occasions people parked in such awkward places that the rubbish truck was unable to gain access to some of lismore park...thats just not on.

Even with the double yellow lines people are still parking illegally, in addition to this in fairness if your not resident in the estate and you don't even know people living there you really have no place parking in the estate.

not back to regular programming.... :)

In many respects some aspects of the pay for parking idea are sound, I know loads of people that live right in the middle of town and drive out to the industrial estate something that would normally be a 10-15 bike or bus ride or a 35min walk,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

in addition to this in fairness if your not resident in the estate and you don't even know people living there you really have no place parking in the estate.

I don't want to go off topic but why not exactly? just because "on occasion" some cars have been parked in such a way it blocks traffic. On occasion some students have been mugged walking home through lismore park does that mean that we should impose a curfew?

If the cars are not ilegally parked or blocking someones house/road then how can their be a problem.

Back on topic Boo to a parking levy :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

As for Lismore Park - if spaces are free, I personally dont see the harm. Its those parking illegaly and blocking up roads that are the problem but residents seem to want every inch of the estate to themselves. As far as I am aware they cant just put traffic cones and red tape over a space and claim it as theirs. College should have addressed this problem ages ago. */rant*

Well, the residents have lived there a long time without having to put up with the crap they're getting now. It's not just about free parking. It's a bloody housing estate and a place where kids should be able to play safely and be able to cross a road without having to first step out between the parked cars and hoping that the oncoming drivers see them. I drive through there every day and it's not safe. I turn onto a side road and find that the WIT cars are parked on both sides of the narrow road and I just about make it through. Any traffic coming towards me has to reverse back because I cannot reverse back out onto a main road! This GAA-type abandonment of cars has turned the roads of Lismore Park into one-way streets. Not only that, but most of the parking is illegal in other ways too - parking within a few metres of junctions, parking on corners...not to mention those who ignore the double-yellows and park on them anyway.

As for the residents, after a period of time, the developers turn estates over to the residents committee for maintenance and upkeep. They are well within their rights to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Seems to be muddled up in the other thread, but a few people seem to have strong opinions on whether it is acceptable or not for WIT people to park there cars in Lismore Park....

just trying to keep the other thread on topic, so post your rants thoughts on this here......

• Advertisement

Good Idea,

I'd have no problem with it if it was regulated over there if cars are parked ilegally then they should be fined simple as that, You cant even pull up for 5 min in the city centre so students/lismore park should abide by the same rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

If the students are well off enough to afford a car, with all the trimmings, insurance, tax, NCT etc, then they can afford a parking fee.

If they can't, then they can't afford a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

gscully wrote: »

As for the residents, after a period of time, the developers turn estates over to the residents committee for maintenance and upkeep. They are well within their rights to complain.

no , they are turned over to the council , at that stage anyone who pays their car tax has a right to park there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

KingLoser wrote: »
    If the students are well off enough to afford a car, with all the trimmings, insurance, tax, NCT etc, then they can afford a parking fee.

Couldn't agree more and if they have a car and live in waterford and still park in Lismore perhaps they should walk or get a bus to the WIT, personally if it was me living in Lismore Park and I had to deal with all those cars parked arse ways everyday I'd be fuming.

The fact is at the beginning of the year the students parked on both sides of the road and up as far and on the junction coming into Lismore park, this made it next to impossible for anything bigger then a small car to get in and out and turn on the junction corner, this has changed abit and double yellow lines have been put down but still many people are still parking illegally on these on a daily basis.

Didn't walk up past it today but will try to tomorrow to show a few examples.

no , they are turned over to the council , at that stage anyone who pays their car tax has a right to park there

So the resident's committee don't pay for upkeep and maintenance? Right, I'll tell anyone I know there to ask for their yearly contribution back.

• Advertisement

Now TBF its been a good year since I have been near lismore park as I left college last year so maybe the number of cars is more now then I remember.

The argument that if Students can afford a car/insurance/tax then they can afford parking so You must have no problem with a parking Levy?

I know plenty of people on decent money who park where they can get away with a ticket, Its prob just in our nature.

ziedth wrote: »
    Now TBF its been a good year since I have been near lismore park as I left college last year so maybe the number of cars is more now then I remember.

There's definitely more cars this year, so who knows what next year will be like!

Basically, they park where they can and don't care about the consequences. I was in the AIB across from the college recently and a couple of guys pulled up in the small car park there and walked off. A bank employee had to run after them and get them to move. The staff in the AIB seemed pissed off about it, and it was funny watching her try to go after them while waiting impatiently for the stupid door system in the AIB to work :-)

I'm just surprised none of them have parked on Browns Rd, as there's no yellow lines there...or are they just intelligent when they want to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

larchville, and ballybeg are also close to the college, yet don't seem to suffer the same way lismore park does. have students something against council housing estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

While it may not be illegal to park in places like Lismore Park (unless they're on double yellow lines), I think it's downright rude to park in front of residents houses meaning that they themselves can't get a parking space. Some students have also developed the habit of cleaning their car outside of houses, leaving a trail of rubbish in their wake, similar to that of the evidence left behind by travellers.

AdMMM wrote: »
    While it may not be illegal to park in places like Lismore Park (unless they're on double yellow lines), I think it's downright rude to park in front of residents houses meaning that they themselves can't get a parking space. Some students have also developed the habit of cleaning their car outside of houses, leaving a trail of rubbish in their wake, similar to that of the evidence left behind by travellers.

surely you're wrong, don't you know students never do anything wrong? its like these so called muggings, it wasn't students getting a slap for pulling up shrubs and snapping branches off trees that people have planted around the area. it also wasnt students screaming at each other on the streets at 2 or 3 in the morning. if a student does get mugged they wont get much sympathy in the area. also how come the residents never seem to get mugged?
    regarding the parking, if the residents cant park outside there own houses, if bin lorries, ambulances, fire engines etc. are complaining about not being able to get by, then all excuses aside, there definitely is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

they can,t afford the parking but they sure can spend a hell of a lotta money in the off licences and pubs around the city, i,ll never forget the time i was workin doin security in galvins off licence(now carry out) in lismore park and a student spent over 60 euro on drink and was asked did he want a carrier bag and he replied no i,m a student i can,t afford plastic bags lol

I think we should avoid making sweeping generalisations about students and remember that it's also lecturers (or other college staff) that are parking in a nuisance manner in Lismore Park and other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I laugh everytime this is braught up. As far as I know its their ( the residents of the surrounding area ) fault that there is no multi storey carpark in college. It could be complete hearsay, but I heard that the college did apply to build a multi storey carpark but it was shot down by local residants. So I have no sympathy for cars parking out on their roads now.

I laugh everytime this is braught up. As far as I know its their ( the residents of the surrounding area ) fault that there is no multi storey carpark in college. It could be complete hearsay, but I heard that the college did apply to build a multi storey carpark but it was shot down by local residants. So I have no sympathy for cars parking out on their roads now.

The college wanted to build something and the residents objected and won???

That'd be a first!

If this is true then +1. Couldn't be happier

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

gscully wrote: »
    Well, the residents have lived there a long time without having to put up with the crap they're getting now. It's not just about free parking. It's a bloody housing estate and a place where kids should be able to play safely and be able to cross a road without having to first step out between the parked cars and hoping that the oncoming drivers see them. I drive through there every day and it's not safe. I turn onto a side road and find that the WIT cars are parked on both sides of the narrow road and I just about make it through. Any traffic coming towards me has to reverse back because I cannot reverse back out onto a main road! This GAA-type abandonment of cars has turned the roads of Lismore Park into one-way streets. Not only that, but most of the parking is illegal in other ways too - parking within a few metres of junctions, parking on corners...not to mention those who ignore the double-yellows and park on them anyway.

They have been living there a long time with students parking there just not on the scale as seen this year since the college worked to pass the Fire Safety Test. I don't mind people parking in actually areas where there is space for traffic to move in both directions and not preventing pedestrians using the paths. This problem only occurs in the side streets and some areas where double yellow lines are marked. I think the Guards are sympathetic towards students as there not doing an awful lot about it. One resident complained to a Guard on a bike today who would not do anything about it.

I think its the side streets that are the biggest problem in Lismore Park.

Developers often give it to the council and not always residents committees. Either way they do have a say but nobody seems to interested in doing something to resolve it.
    I know on a few occasions people parked in such awkward places that the rubbish truck was unable to gain access to some of lismore park...thats just not on.

Even with the double yellow lines people are still parking illegally, in addition to this in fairness if your not resident in the estate and you don't even know people living there you really have no place parking in the estate.

not back to regular programming.... :)

Problem is that the mass amount of students who need parking have no where else to go so will fill spaces in the surrounding area. Its only natural!

Anyway, ill split this into a new topic as it seems to be generating a good debate. :)

longshanks wrote: »
    larchville, and ballybeg are also close to the college, yet don't seem to suffer the same way lismore park does. have students something against council housing estates?

Is Lismore Park 100% private? Thought there were council houses there. Its probably 50/50 (Students & Familys) in terms of how the houses are let. Larchville and other estates surrounding the college do suffer but there is limited space to park over there compared to Lismore Park. Waterford Crystal has also been affected. Ballybegs a bit more awkward to park in I suppose, though I dont know if it has been affect in anyway?
    AdMMM wrote: »

Never seen a driveway blocked and you cant "reserve" a space in front of your house for an extra car or two. And NEVER seen any rubbish left behind or heard any complaints about it. Whoever does that should be done for littering.
    surely you're wrong, don't you know students never do anything wrong? its like these so called muggings, it wasn't students getting a slap for pulling up shrubs and snapping branches off trees that people have planted around the area. it also wasnt students screaming at each other on the streets at 2 or 3 in the morning. if a student does get mugged they wont get much sympathy in the area. also how come the residents never seem to get mugged?

Its not just students you know, but I agree that a large amount are. Christmas Day (the college one) being a perfect example. Thankfully not every student is like that and has respect for the area.
    regarding the parking, if the residents cant park outside there own houses, if bin lorries, ambulances, fire engines etc. are complaining about not being able to get by, then all excuses aside, there definitely is a problem.

Exact reasons why WIT failed the fire test and last year reduced the amount of spaces available and introduced stricter clamping rules. Not so sure anybody wants to resolve the problem by clamping/fining in Lismore Park etc. as its a college issue thats really only been a major problem this year.

Not so sure about that. There are plans to build a car park but there are complications with rules set by the council with regards to the amount of green space thats required (hence why your not permitted to park on the grass).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

dont just blame students for this crazy parking - I know that there are many Lecturers parking in Lismore Park too! If they cant afford Pay Parking then I give up !

1966 wrote: »
    dont just blame students for this crazy parking - I know that there are many Lecturers parking in Lismore Park too! If they cant afford Pay Parking then I give up !

There is no pay parking for anybody in WIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Are students in the city not capable of walking to college anymore? Have they forgotten how to use their lower limbs or are they just too bloody lazy now?

They're also parking up at the entrance to the industrial estate as well, I hope the IDA clamp them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

KingLoser wrote: »

Ah Jim! Maybe they are broke because they bought a car! There's enough bills for us miserable students as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Are students in the city not capable of walking to college anymore? Have they forgotten how to use their lower limbs or are they just too bloody lazy now?

They're also parking up at the entrance to the industrial estate as well, I hope the IDA clamp them.

Well in fairness, I drive to college and go into work straight after. Walking through that estate at midnight isn't exactly nice.

Is Lismore Park 100% private? Thought there were council houses there. Its probably 50/50 (Students & Familys) in terms of how the houses are let.

nope, its always been a private estate. also i'd be surprised if the amount of houses let to students was 25%, never mind 50%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭deise gal

Ok i totally agree that it is wrong if someone blocks an entrance to a house, or prevents a fire engine going in if the event unfortunately arose, however the roads , footpaths (nice work there council:D) lights etc are public property.The students of WIT & the residents of Lismore Park have the same right to park there. I never actually thought about this until one lovely old lady in Lismore Park highlighted this to me and told what time her husband went to work at and she had no problem at all with the students parking outside her house. Also this woman highighted that she and many more people of Waterford would be unemployed if it was not for the students. Just go into town any midweek day and it is Students shopping. Be they shopping for clothes or food or alcohol they create jobs which in the current economic climate is very important.
    Also someone noted that nobody parks in Ballybeg & Larchville-incorrect they do I admit to having done it myself when Lismore Park is choc-a-bloc on some occasions.
    Oh btw I'm a Second Year Student with only one more year left thak god due to the parking as I can only imagine it getting worse as with the Economy in Recession people who previously may have lived in Waterford will then be commuting as lets face it, it is a cheaper option!(luckily i live a 15min dirve form the college-with NO bus service much to my annoyance)

Rant over............:D

• Advertisement

A lot of people travel from places outside of Waterford where public transport isnt an option. Not every student who lives in Waterford drives to college or even has a car. A lot of students are struggling to meet ends meet as it is.

Heard reports they were.
    nope, its always been a private estate. also i'd be surprised if the amount of houses let to students was 25%, never mind 50%

Ah okay, thanks. Wasnt to sure! Some of the houses look run-down with bangers of cars outside which is a typical student apperance and others look very nicely maintained and kept with decent cars outside which gave me the impression it might be 50/50. Always thought Lismore Park was more a student estate like Templerss but I was told a few months back that wasnt the case. :)

Advertisement