Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lismore park - WIT parking there

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

dlofnep wrote: »
    Ah Jim! Maybe they are broke because they bought a car! There's enough bills for us miserable students as it is.
    John. :( You can park on my drive anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Have the powers that be ever considered approaching the city council regarding using the car park at the RSC as a overflow car park in the mornings. In a way its a pity that there are hundreds of parking spaces sitting empty there every day. it would certainly help ease the pressure on Lismore park.

However, if this is true, the residents havent got a leg to stand on.
    As far as I know its their ( the residents of the surrounding area ) fault that there is no multi storey carpark in college. It could be complete hearsay, but I heard that the college did apply to build a multi storey carpark but it was shot down by local residants. So I have no sympathy for cars parking out on their roads now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I laugh everytime this is braught up. As far as I know its their ( the residents of the surrounding area ) fault that there is no multi storey carpark in college. It could be complete hearsay, but I heard that the college did apply to build a multi storey carpark but it was shot down by local residants. So I have no sympathy for cars parking out on their roads now.

so people are not allowed to vote down an eye sore in there area, shock!
    Its not the residents fault at all its upto WIT to plan ahead within the law and ensure people attending the college do not take the piss elsewhere.

Personally I think there best off to clamp any ejits parking illegally from tomorrow, couple of days of that and the students/staff etc will feel those fines mount up :)
    They're also parking up at the entrance to the industrial estate as well, I hope the IDA clamp them.

I saw this alright at the first entrance where only cars can enter, I;m surprised at the IDA there fast as lightning to clamp any mupperts who park up at the AIB entrance...its fun seeing three and four cars clamped there every so often :)

Might be worth mentioning the amount of parking at the car entrance as it causes problems in the evenings with cars getting into the right lanes to turn left/right when coming out of the IDA ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Why can't people cycle to college? It's just pure laziness.

Get some wet gear for the rainy days and on yer bike with ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Chochese wrote: »
    Why can't people cycle to college? It's just pure laziness.

Get some wet gear for the rainy days and on yer bike with ya!

Because it's very very dangerous. Have you ever cycled anywhere?
    There are no cycle lanes, you're gonna be trying to go down streets with big juggernauts belting past you, trying to go around roundabouts etc, not something to be advised.

• Advertisement

Dan133269 wrote: »
    There are no cycle lanes, you're gonna be trying to go down streets with big juggernauts belting past you, trying to go around roundabouts etc, not something to be advised.

Yes, I cycle everyday from Lismore Heights into College Street as well as everywhere else I need to be.

Let me rephrase my original comment:

Get some wet gear for the rainy days, learn to cycle on the roads properly and on yer bike with ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Chochese wrote: »
    Yes, I cycle everyday from Lismore Heights into College Street as well as everywhere else I need to be.

Let me rephrase my original comment:

Get some wet gear for the rainy days, learn to cycle on the roads properly and on yer bike with ya!

Do you not find it a nightmare?
    I know how to cycle, and the rules of the road. Doesn't change the fact there are no cycle lanes, most motorists are impatient with cyclists and there is not much room

Do you not find it a nightmare?
    I know how to cycle, and the rules of the road. Doesn't change the fact there are no cycle lanes, most motorists are impatient with cyclists and there is not much room

...which is why I said cycle on the roads properly :P

Once you learn to anticipate driver's moves and expect the unexpected on a regular basis inner city cycling isn't a nightmare.

I often find myself on the main campus and a majority of the bike racks are empty. I remember when the WIT (and even the RTC) was overflowing with bikes daily.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cycled in Waterford for 7 years without any issues (doing an average of about 10km a day), well actually I lie once I had some retard open a car door infront of me other then that as long as you cycle with common sense you can make far far better headway then any car or bus in waterford. Case in point it used to take me 7-12min to get from IDA to quays and that includes Friday evenings :)

Any roundabouts are very easy navigate on a bike as long as you approach them correctly and position yourself safely, as for cycle lanes I'd rather not have them unless they are built correctly which the majority of them in the likes of Dublin are not! :)

If you don't know how to cycle properly and safely around a city then I suggest you read Cycle Craft - http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/248029/Cyclecraft/Product.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Cycling's not the anwer to this topic, there's another thread about cycling elsewhere and if it safe or not...
    anyway back on topic....

I think that is is out of order that the students are parking in lismore park like they are,
    imagine coming home from work everyday and not being able to park outside your own house, park in the driveway I hear you say, what if you are a two car family? or if you want your kids to be able to play in the driveway.....seriously how annoying would that be....

Simple solution to the issue is for the residents of lismore park to have the area designated a pay and display area....( all residents would be given passes)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

The residents of Lismore Park should park outside one of the Lecturers houses. Then you may get some action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

KingLoser wrote: »
    John. :( You can park on my drive anyday.

Jim, you can eat my cornflakes anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

I like the way all the residents are making out to be innocent. I know of times when the residents decided to take the law into there own hands. They left a note on a girls car to move it. The girl parked in lismore again the next day. As it is the most convenient place to park. Went into college and came back to find her car smashed with a note saying we told you not to park here. Now i know this is just one example and probably the only instance of this kind of event and that none the other residents know about this event or condone doing this. But it was still out of order. She in kilmacthomas cant afford rent, crappy bus service. Cant afford her own car so drops her parents to work and then drives there car to college, to find no parking , is in such a rush as to not be late to college parks in lismore , as it is the most convenient place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i assume she called the guards and showed them these notes. they could get the handwriting experts in c.s.i. ballybricken on the case. the sooner make believe crimes like these are stamped out the better.

guards were informed , Id prefer you didnt imply i made this up. The guards asked people and noone saw anything, how handy considering it was broad daylight when it happened.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

longshanks wrote: »
    i assume she called the guards and showed them these notes. they could get the handwriting experts in c.s.i. ballybricken on the case.

Fat chance they would do such a thing unless the crime was a lot more serious and it wouldn't be in ballybricken they would do such an analysis. Its probably obvious who did it, but its not something that can be proved easily.

In all the people I know that rent in that area I've not heard anything about cars being damaged, I've certainly seen notes on cars when I've passed but they were there for good reason as the cars were parked arse ways and causing an obstruction to traffic coming into lismore park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 craigscott

OK, I know this is way off topic and belongs in the WIT University Thread but like in order for WIT to gain university status and to sort out the Lismore car parking fiasco shouldn't WIT be building a Multi-storey car park for the students there. Payale or non payable it dosnt matter, It would sort out much of the problem and gain them university status at the same time, Like you can find your way around there, I was in UCC yesterday and the place is like the size of Waterford..:cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

craigscott wrote: »
    OK, I know this is way off topic and belongs in the WIT University Thread but like in order for WIT to gain university status and to sort out the Lismore car parking fiasco shouldn't WIT be building a Multi-storey car park for the students there. Payale or non payable it dosnt matter, It would sort out much of the problem and gain them university status at the same time, Like you can find your way around there, I was in UCC yesterday and the place is like the size of Waterford..:cool:

Iv said this before - the parking situation will have no affect on whether they get university status or not. I suppose UCC has it all on the one grounds where WIT has a few campuses spread out over Waterford but ya nowhere near the size of UCC.

Anyway, feel free to post in the University Thread here if you want to discuss UNI status more. :)

Where would they build a mutil storey car park... Imagine the giving out resident s of lismore would do if no parking at all in wit while the building of the car park was in progress...

• Advertisement

The WIT should have had adequate parking facilities in place before they commenced there new building program. It's called forward thinking for the academics out there.

Because of poor planning, it's the resident's of the neighboring estates that suffer. Then you have the students who blame the residents. I don't know what kind of person we are sending to out third levels these days?

well_butty: Its known that a lot of non-students are parking in WIT. Hence the barrier system to curb this. People working nearby etc. Not sure about residents. The plan was, afaik, to build an underground car park

Surely the college can manage their own car park by having barrier access to all areas. Students can access these areas with their WIT card. By sitting on the fence and accepting the abuse of their own facilities, they have transferred their problem onto others. Unacceptable to me anyway you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Sully wrote: »
    well_butty: Its known that a lot of non-students are parking in WIT. Hence the barrier system to curb this. People working nearby etc. Not sure about residents. The plan was, afaik, to build an underground car park

people working nearby etc? not sure about residents?
    so you're implying that people working in the industrial estate, or living in lismore park are using wit's car park. why would they bother?

well butty wrote: »
    Surely the college can manage their own car park by having barrier access to all areas. Students can access these areas with their WIT card. By sitting on the fence and accepting the abuse of their own facilities, they have transferred their problem onto others. Unacceptable to me anyway you look at it.

They have done... but its a bit random. The problem is a result of the college introducing a barrier system (not always used) on the front car park and removing a lot of spaces (not sure why, but some were removed for medical staff and fire service access) in the front but mostly in the back car park. You used to be able to park on both sides of the road around the back car park but you cant now. They took two sections of the roadway and made them "Set down only". They clamp like crazy and have more then two clamps this year.

This resulted in a major loss of spaces and cars flooded to other areas including Lismore park. All that is being stated is that the college are looking into the matter but that's about it. They continue to increase the population around the college by adding new buildings and not addressing car park space issue. I recall it being mentioned last year they were planning on developing an underground car park but they seem more interested in developing a windmill then the car park.

The sudden reduction in space I believe was connected to the college failing a Fire Safety Test a few times. Cars were blocking fire exits and access points for emergency services. The next plan I hear is to introduce permit parking and further reduce spaces in the front car park.

Because the students are parking outside their houses.

longshanks wrote: »
    people working nearby etc? not sure about residents?
    so you're implying that people working in the industrial estate, or living in lismore park are using wit's car park. why would they bother?

I'm just going by what I learned in Student Union meetings last year and the explanation given as to why they introduced the barrier system in the front. Spaces were being taken not only by students living nearby but also by others working nearby. It was urged we use car pooling or walk if you only lived nearby as many people travelled a greater distance and deserved the spaces more.
    Because the students are parking outside their houses.

I don't recall any accusation being made towards residents as they never had a major issue, IIRC, unlike this year. Its not just students but lecturers also parking in Lismore Park and surrounding areas. I think they would find it very hard to get a space in college (residents) as its usually full early in the morning and remains that way until late afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

The attitudes of people never ceases to amaze me. Everyone is full of support for WIT when it comes to regional things. (like universtiy status) But when people are slightly incovienced by something, like cars parking near their houses. It's a straight lynching. I walk thorugh lismore every day and the cars are rarely ever actually inconviencing the residents (other then the cars actually being there). From what I've seen the cars are not blocking peoples driveways and the majority of them are parked on the road in nice line that doesn't obstruct either lane of traffic. The cars are also parked right beside a large green, where I presume kids are free to play which is a lot safer than playing on the road.

Some residents get very uppity about this sort of thing and from the stories I have heard. They seem to be picking on cars that are full of girls than full of guys. One example that I heard was that a girl was parking 5-10 ft down a house in Lismore Park and the owner of the house came out and publicly berated the girl for parking near their house. She was reduced to tears from this and had to go park in the nearby Bank of Ireland near Tesco. The residents aren't exactly being grown up about this either.

In the smaller back car park most mornings is usually filled with industrial estate cars from the AIB and other places that are near that entrance. The lecturers union also want to reserve half the car parking spaces for themselves when the permit system comes into effect.

The residents of lismore park can also be quite prickly, especially the residents committee. They can be quite clique like and just generally distrustful of new residents(students or not). I have lived in the area all my life and know other people who haved moved in both as students and young professionals (I suppose is the best term) and all of them have encountered difficulties with other residents and the residents committee.

One question I do have before people start trying to pick apart what I have just typed....

Have the residents committee made any attempt to discuss this problem with the college, SU or other official body inside the college?

ec18, i appreciate that the posts within this thread may look like NIBYism, like objection to all development is presented when it is perceived as been good for the overall community. If you were directly effected would you view the whole situation differently. How about placing a halting site beside you which is also needed. would you give out or accept that it is there for the general good?

The fact of the matter is that the development of the entire college campus has been shortsighted and poorly planned. to you it dosen't matter that this has created a negative impact on people lives who have worked and paid for the houses. good solid citizen's in my opinion. But because it don't effect you, you don't care. It encapsulates a general problem with the citizens of Waterford where they don't care if it don't negatively effect them.

We can all give examples that portray the issue in a negative way. What about the lecturer that parked outside the gate of a disabled man in a wheelchair. The Garda had to be called to get him moved because the man could not leave his house. we could trade these forever but don't solve the problem that was created by poor planning on behalf of the college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

ec18, i appreciate that the posts within this thread may look like NIBYism, like objection to all development is presented when it is perceived as been good for the overall community. If you were directly effected would you view the whole situation differently. How about placing a halting site beside you which is also needed. would you give out or accept that it is there for the general good?

The fact of the matter is that the development of the entire college campus has been shortsighted and poorly planned. to you it dosen't matter that this has created a negative impact on people lives who have worked and paid for the houses. good solid citizen's in my opinion. But because it don't effect you, you don't care. It encapsulates a general problem with the citizens of Waterford where they don't care if it don't negatively effect them.

We can all give examples that portray the issue in a negative way. What about the lecturer that parked outside the gate of a disabled man in a wheelchair. The Garda had to be called to get him moved because the man could not leave his house. we could trade these forever but don't solve the problem that was created by poor planning on behalf of the college.

Hence the last part of my post that was in bold. Have the residents or college made any attempt to work together to find a solution to the problem?

Advertisement