Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lismore park - WIT parking there

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

I believe there has been a lot of representation made to WIT but they continue to sherk their responsibility. In order for these things to work, you engage with the different effected parties before the problem happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

well butty wrote: »
    ec18, i appreciate that the posts within this thread may look like NIBYism, like objection to all development is presented when it is perceived as been good for the overall community. If you were directly effected would you view the whole situation differently. How about placing a halting site beside you which is also needed. would you give out or accept that it is there for the general good?
    Ah I would be affected by any development that happened in Lismore Park as would some of my family......I live in the area as I said in my post.
    The fact of the matter is that the development of the entire college campus has been shortsighted and poorly planned. to you it dosen't matter that this has created a negative impact on people lives who have worked and paid for the houses. good solid citizen's in my opinion. But because it don't effect you, you don't care. It encapsulates a general problem with the citizens of Waterford where they don't care if it don't negatively effect them.
    That is true the development of the college has been shortsighted but then again there has been a huge increase in wealth and the number of students attending WIT. So even if they had forward planned this would still likely be a problem. The only real solution I can see to this problem is to either reduce the number of cars traveling to WIT either by encouraged car pooling or some other means. Or to build a multi-story car park either above or underground. Till then (or when they move to the new Carraignore campus) it's going to be a problem.
    We can all give examples that portray the issue in a negative way. What about the lecturer that parked outside the gate of a disabled man in a wheelchair. The Garda had to be called to get him moved because the man could not leave his house. we could trade these forever but don't solve the problem that was created by poor planning on behalf of the college.
    I'm sure you can but a lot of the negativity here is directed towards students who have no other choice but to park there.
    I believe there has been a lot of representation made to WIT but they continue to sherk their responsibility. In order for these things to work, you engage with the different effected parties before the problem happens.
    believe or know? There's a huge difference between you believing something and it actually happening. I was told when I started in WIT that they believed it'd be a university by the time I finished.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ec18, i appreciate that the posts within this thread may look like NIBYism, like objection to all development is presented when it is perceived as been good for the overall community. If you were directly effected would you view the whole situation differently. How about placing a halting site beside you which is also needed. would you give out or accept that it is there for the general good?

Think its a bit of a difference so that's not a good example. If travellers parked outside their houses, or moved nearby, can guarantee you they wont be picking on them or smashing in their car windows! Anyway ec18 has stated he lives in the area so it does affect him and his family.
    The fact of the matter is that the development of the entire college campus has been shortsighted and poorly planned. to you it dosen't matter that this has created a negative impact on people lives who have worked and paid for the houses. good solid citizen's in my opinion. But because it don't effect you, you don't care. It encapsulates a general problem with the citizens of Waterford where they don't care if it don't negatively effect them.

Partly agree. I think with the college looking for university status and knowing how many new buildings they wanted to add they should have added in parking. It seems however the college has neglected this area and continued its development without considering parking. As a result, it has now forced both lecturers and students to find alternative areas to park having a knock on affect on others. Regardless, nobody should park blocking somebody's driveway or entrance to their estate. Parking legally I have no issues with.
    We can all give examples that portray the issue in a negative way. What about the lecturer that parked outside the gate of a disabled man in a wheelchair. The Garda had to be called to get him moved because the man could not leave his house. we could trade these forever but don't solve the problem that was created by poor planning on behalf of the college.

See above. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Whats parking like now? This thread is all I found on search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

I know I'm adding to this but way to bring up an ancient thread!

Also yer man Frisby who bought part of Waterford Crystal lot should read this thread. He'd make a fortune if he read this thread and opened the car park and had reasonably low rates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Media999 wrote: »
    Whats parking like now? This thread is all I found on search.

No change. Still chocker but the barrier system is no longer in use at the front which was designed to stop non-WIT students abusing the car park.

Parking is not permitted in Lismore Park for anybody but residents and Gardai are issuing fines.
    JenniFurr wrote: »

Also yer man Frisby who bought part of Waterford Crystal lot should read this thread. He'd make a fortune if he read this thread and opened the car park and had reasonably low rates.

Did he buy it in the end? Anyway, its common knowledge that parking is a mess but I assume he has other ideas bar a car park. :)

Highest ranked on Google. Best thread to resurrect :cool:

Plenty of people over the next few days will be looking for info on it.

So best to park elsewhere and not just arrive to main campus 10 mins before classes start and expect to get parking.

Made a new thread here in the WIT section

Highest ranked on Google. Best thread to resurrect :cool:

Plenty of people over the next few days will be looking for info on it.

So best to park elsewhere and not just arrive to main campus 10 mins before classes start and expect to get parking.

Made a new thread here in the WIT section

Sorry wasn't saying it was a bad thread to resurrect. I was more surprised that no one posted about the parking in this thread for 4 years! Anyone I know that live in the area LOVE to complain it.

I wouldn't park there though. There are a few safer places 5 minute walk away from Lisduggan. Won't say where so I don't have people giving out but I wouldn't walk through there after dark. It sounds unbelievable (and I'm sure many will call bull**** on this) but I think some guy was trying to kidnap there about a year ago.
    Sully wrote: »
    No change. Still chocker but the barrier system is no longer in use at the front which was designed to stop non-WIT students abusing the car park.

Parking is not permitted in Lismore Park for anybody but residents and Gardai are issuing fines.

Did he buy it in the end? Anyway, its common knowledge that parking is a mess but I assume he has other ideas bar a car park. :)
    I'm about 90% sure he did. My neighbour is his nephew and he said he was getting some work there as a builder soon. He could do so much more with it, it's a huge lot though (I'm not sure he only bought part of it, right?) but I'd say it'd be wise to add a parking structure. But I'm not him so who the hell knows, I'm just pondering *shrug*

It sounds unbelievable (and I'm sure many will call bull**** on this) but I think some guy was trying to kidnap there about a year ago.

Not sure if serious or really clever plan to stop people parking there. :pac:

Kidnap who? WIT students?

Not sure if serious or really clever plan to stop people parking there. :pac:

Kidnap who? WIT students?

It happened to a myself and a friend of mine on separate occasions a few months apart. Identical stories just slightly different parts of the estate when it was dark. Maybe the two of us have big heads, the people involved could have been just looking to rob us but when someone tries to lure you to an inconspicuous white van my mind goes to worst places!

Don't know if they had a demographic but we're both girls in our 20s. All I know is that it freaked me out and was very careful after dark, especially in that area for a few months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement