Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosting my immunity

• 20-11-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Believed I was looking after myself properly by eating healthy (lots of veg soup every day), was taking a Berocca boost in the morning with a co-Q-10 supplement for energy. However, I have had this head cold for last 3 weeks which I could not shake. Went to doc and its a sinus infection which im now on antiobiotics for.

Im fed up of getting colds and the likes and feeling tired all the time. Havent been able to go to the gym in almost a month now :( Is there anything else I can do to boost my immune system through nutrition?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

What's your diet like? A diet high in simple sugars (that includes bread, pasta, cornflakes and fruit juice as well as actual sugar and biscuits) tends to put a lot of stress on the system, and makes you more vulnerable to colds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

maybe make sure your iron levels are okay ... from past experience low iron can cause a lot of the symptoms you mention ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

EileenG wrote: »
    What's your diet like? A diet high in simple sugars (that includes bread, pasta, cornflakes and fruit juice as well as actual sugar and biscuits) tends to put a lot of stress on the system, and makes you more vulnerable to colds etc.

Hi EileenG,
    Ive started the Core plan in WW so processed junk has been pretty much eliminated but I had been eating a lot of junk over the summer due to stress :(

Regarding my iron levels, dont think they are a problem. Should check it out though anyway

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bunalunhoney

I've heard that colloidal silver is great for the immune system but I haven't had a chance to research it yet. You can get it in health food shops but it's expensive enough.

*Had a quick browse on the net-fairly mixed reviews and check out 'dangers of colloidal silver' on youtube!!*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Do you eat a lot of dairy, that can aggravate it.

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote: »
    Do you eat a lot of dairy, that can aggravate it.

I dont drink milk. I have yoghurt for breakfast and some cheese (a slice or a triangle spread) most days. Do you think this could make me susceptible to colds? I know it does creates mucous in the lungs but thought this would only irritate asmtha sufferers ( could be soooo wrong :D)

Thanks for your advice!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Take a high potency (>3000IU) vitamin d3 supplement (hard to get this potency in healthfood shops but you get great value online). I started taking some this winter to combat the winter blues and haven't had a cold while all others around are sniffling.. it's really annoying, was looking forward to some duvet days :(

Also, the only scientifically proven way to shorten a cold is to take an herbal remedy called umckaloabo (mouthful I know..). It kicked echinacea's, vitamin C's and any ingredient in an over the counter remedy's ass in double blind placebo controlled clinical studies.. I haven't found it in shops either, it's almost like the want us to be sick :)

Ditto on the kicking the refined carbs.. I get a runny nose straight after eating sugar..

neddas wrote: »
    Take a high potency (>3000IU) vitamin d3 supplement (hard to get this potency in healthfood shops but you get great value online). I started taking some this winter to combat the winter blues and haven't had a cold while all others around are sniffling.. it's really annoying, was looking forward to some duvet days :(

Also, the only scientifically proven way to shorten a cold is to take an herbal remedy called umckaloabo (mouthful I know..). It kicked echinacea's, vitamin C's and any ingredient in an over the counter remedy's ass in double blind placebo controlled clinical studies.. I haven't found it in shops either, it's almost like the want us to be sick :)

Ditto on the kicking the refined carbs.. I get a runny nose straight after eating sugar..

Thanks for that, I'll look into that.

I bought floradix, lysine and echinacea at the weekend but yet still had to buy a second course of antibiotics and woke up with two cold sores :( Starting to feel sorry for myself now :p

mrsberries wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'll look into that.

I bought floradix, lysine and echinacea at the weekend but yet still had to buy a second course of antibiotics and woke up with two cold sores :( Starting to feel sorry for myself now :p

Ah ya poor thing.. I know it's miserable when you can't shake it..

Just to let you know, antibiotics won't do squat for a cold so you might as well save yourself the trouble..

neddas wrote: »
    Ah ya poor thing.. I know it's miserable when you can't shake it..

Just to let you know, antibiotics won't do squat for a cold so you might as well save yourself the trouble..

Its a sinus infection. Id honestly prefer not to take antibiotics but only went to doctor when it was past 3 weeks of suffering!

• Advertisement

Its a sinus infection. Id honestly prefer not to take antibiotics but only went to doctor when it was past 3 weeks of suffering!

Ah I see.. have you tried a Neti? it's a nasal teapot that you use to wash out the inside of your nose.. sounds disgusting but it's quite effective! :o

Hmm, sounds interesting actually! Where would one buy a neti :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I recently copped on that I haven't been sick since I started taking a zinc and magnesium supplement at night (ZMA). Now I should say that I eat well and exercise a good bit, don't drink that much, don't smoke, yada yada. Anyway, I'm not sure if the two are directly linked, but I think it'd make for an interesting research study. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cutesy

I dont drink milk. I have yoghurt for breakfast and some cheese (a slice or a triangle spread) most days. Do you think this could make me susceptible to colds? I know it does creates mucous in the lungs but thought this would only irritate asmtha sufferers ( could be soooo wrong :D)

Thanks for your advice!

First things first stop taking the antibiotics! Doctors fork them out for a sore pinky! There is a notice in a local Paper in Galway saying not to take anti-biotics for a cold or flu, notice was posted by the local health board. I'd say your sinuses were infected and that from there you got a cold. Dairy products make my nose run instantly so have stopped eating any, not even a little slice of cheese or youghurt should be eaten. Change to goat products or alpro soya if you feel you need milk and cheese of some sort. Sinus problems are another form or asthma as is eczema(if thats how you spell it!) and they get irritated by dairy products for some reason (I have siblings with various forms or asthma)! I am not sure how you can clear the stuffy headup but once you do try Euphorbium, you can get it in a healthshop, it keeps sinuses clear and its all natural. Oh wait crush some garlic cloves and swallow without chewing with warm water, its good for fighting infection and drink loadsa manuka honey and lemon drinks to keep you hydrated but to also clear infection and soothe any sore neck/tummy. Hope that helps. Maybe invest in Readers Digest home remedies book...its brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

cutesy wrote: »
    First things first stop taking the antibiotics! Doctors fork them out for a sore pinky! There is a notice in a local Paper in Galway saying not to take anti-biotics for a cold or flu, notice was posted by the local health board. I'd say your sinuses were infected and that from there you got a cold. Dairy products make my nose run instantly so have stopped eating any, not even a little slice of cheese or youghurt should be eaten. Change to goat products or alpro soya if you feel you need milk and cheese of some sort. Sinus problems are another form or asthma as is eczema(if thats how you spell it!) and they get irritated by dairy products for some reason (I have siblings with various forms or asthma)! I am not sure how you can clear the stuffy headup but once you do try Euphorbium, you can get it in a healthshop, it keeps sinuses clear and its all natural. Oh wait crush some garlic cloves and swallow without chewing with warm water, its good for fighting infection and drink loadsa manuka honey and lemon drinks to keep you hydrated but to also clear infection and soothe any sore neck/tummy. Hope that helps. Maybe invest in Readers Digest home remedies book...its brilliant!
    If you start a course of antibiotics, then you should finish them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cutesy

Sean_K wrote: »
    If you start a course of antibiotics, then you should finish them.

Anti-biotics weaken the immune system, if Mrs Berries has a cold sure there is no cure for that so she shodn't take anti-biotics for it, if her sinuses are infected them go ahead and finish them. Did the doctor say what exctly was wrong when they prescribed the medication to Mrs. Berries? She didn't really say if they did or not.

cutesy wrote: »
    Did the doctor say what exctly was wrong when they prescribed the medication to Mrs. Berries? She didn't really say if they did or not.

Yes - I had a sinus infection!!!!

Cutesy, I totally agree with you about antibiotics and I do understand the dairy issue. However I had this infection for four weeks that wouldnt budge and I was so miserable with it. The pharmicist sent me to doc for antibiots and I had to get a second course as it still wouldnt go.

I am now taking floradix and echinacea and feeling good thank god.

Advertisement