Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Build - Advice Please

Options
  • 20-11-2008 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Going to take the plunge and go for a first time build here. With the assistance of one of my mates who works in IT.

Basically the system is going to be used for online poker and some casual gaming for the most part. So it must have a decent resolution monitor to start with.

Other than that can someone suggest or make a mock build for me please.

I suppose roughly I'm looking something along the lines of:

4gb ram
    2.6GHz Core 2 Duo (Flexible)
    320gb HDD (Flexible)
    1GB Graphics/Video Card (Flexible)
    Any relevant supplementary Coolers/fans that may be needed
    1920x1200 Monitor (Bigger than 20" at least)
    DVD burner (Not bothered with BLU-RAY)

Budget is at €750 by the way. I have plugged a few different ideas into hardwareversand.de and have got prices from €680 to €1000 but I'm not sure of the integrity of what I'd be buying.

So can anyone help me out here please?

Regards,
    Richie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

For a system thats going to be used for such basic things i'd be considering dell if i were you. If anything goes wrong dells customer support is A1, with a self build the e-tailer only has to support the items for 30 days, after that its upto the manufacturer. And that can be a bit of a nightmare where as dell handle it all for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭coillcam

Manties wrote: »
    For a system thats going to be used for such basic things i'd be considering dell if i were you. If anything goes wrong dells customer support is A1, with a self build the e-tailer only has to support the items for 30 days, after that its upto the manufacturer. And that can be a bit of a nightmare where as dell handle it all for you.

I hear where your coming from all right but I'd prefer to stay away from dell. Plus I've always like tinkering with stuff since a I was a kid, leggo, mechano to fixing my ps1 twice and my xbox360 most recently so that would be part of it. Considering I'll probably be taking a computer course next year it's another reason for me to get into building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭coillcam

Bump, any suggestions or recommendations guys?

Advertisement