Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency landing at Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What more do you want??

A320(so it says) smoke in the cabin, emergency landing,routine??

Clean the ovens:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The sensationalist reporting of incidents like this is almost as bad as the flurry of hate everytime someone gets killed on the roads. It's a fact at this stage that a few hundred people will be killed every year on the roads, yet the media keep reporting it as if it's a new phenomeon - we're the only country in the EU to do so. Same with Aviation, when a Pilot does his job correctly, and saves lives, it becomes a cause for concern? IMHO, let's hear about the crashes, not the sucessful safety procedures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yeah saw this myself. Emergency landings happen every day, but the media know that when people hear the words "emergency landing" they think of planes bursting into flames after attempting to land with one wing and no landing gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

noblestee wrote: »
    Yeah saw this myself. Emergency landings happen every day, but the media know that when people hear the words "emergency landing" they think of planes bursting into flames after attempting to land with one wing and no landing gear.

Taken from a Post on PPRUNE:
    Landed 28 approx 8:45pm

Stopped on runway for a few minutes and then taxied onto the bravo taxiways, held there while the source of the problem was worked on. Eventually towed to the terminal.

Fire officer was interested by something in the number 2 engine, unclear what, but it was a 'burning smell in cockpit' incident

Even with the runway clear no take off or landings due lack of fire cover about 15-20 minutes of shutdown

Looks like one Aer Lingus diverted to Aldergrove and one Ryanair to Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Base

The Ryanair incident in Ciampino is a classic example how low costs are only of interest to the media when there's only negativity to report. BA pilots land a plane after losing all thrust at Heathrow and they're heros, Ryanair pilots land a plane with no thrust at Ciampino and it hardly gets a mention beyond the initial emergency landing reports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

When I worked at Dublin airport we had a jet return with smoke in the cockpit. I must say I got a hell of a fright when ATC rang me and asked for souls on board. I worked in OPs at the time. I was the second person into the flight deck after the Fire Officer when it taxied in.

Funnily enough though, it never featured in the papers. Happens more often than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Anyone know what happened to that Virgin Atlantic A340 today? It was travelling from LHR (VS021) seemed to turn back a few hours into the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Looks like it was diverted to Dublin then continued on to Washington later.

Departed LHR at 1134 and arrived DUB 1539. Looks like Shannon was considered but not used. No idea what the reason was but I would say it was technical. I am pretty sure DUB has A340 technical cover.

Another little twist to this is that a new runway at Dulles airport was due to open yesterday, November 20th. Maybe worth considering?

Last Update! Over Gulf of Saint Lawerence, 38,000 feet, 410 knots as I write. 0001hrs November 22. Not far to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Is it there yet, is it there yet, is it there yet??:D

I don't know! Lets see!
    Yeah, it got there 3 hours 43 mins late.

Maybe someone in Dublin airport may know the reason for the diversion. It appears to have escaped the media, although some aviation incidents can take a few days to filter through. A free first or business class return trip can keep the media quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Shannon was considered. It carried out one missed approach to runway 24 at Shannon, then decided to route back to Heathrow. However Virgin dispatch decided to divert to Dublin for tech support, routed to TULSO hold, dumped fuel, landed.

Ah yes, those! I used to have a short cut to map of these reporting points, BANBAN, DEVOL, DOUGAL, CLONNEL for example. I am sure it was on the IAA website but I cannot seem to find it.
    Any of you lads know of a website that has this map?

Fantastic! Thank you very much for your help, Neon-Circles

Advertisement