Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow cooker

• 20-11-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting one and I was just wondering if you could do roasts in them, chicken or roast ham. Other than stewing something what methods of cooking can they be used for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Actually, just to hijack on a related tangent, does anyone know if they're carried in shops in Dublin and if so, where? Or is it an internet job again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't used my slow cooker for anything other than stewing yet, but as far as I know you can roast in them too but you need to brown the meat or chicken on a pan first. There are lots of online recipes for them - if you google Crock Pot Recipes you'll come across them.

Sparks, Argos do a great range of slow cookers - though beware the weird 'crock-pot' shaped one. I only had mine a few weeks when my hubby dropped the lid and broke both it and the handle :rolleyes:.
    I replaced it with THIS ONE which is a great size and shape.

Picked up that one from Argos today db, thanks for the tip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You're welcome :)

It's brilliant - one thing I haven't done in it yet is PULLED PORK - I'll do it soon because it sounds really tasty.

Not a huge pork fan myself.
    Tried overnight porridge in it last night. Disaster. 1 cup rolled oats + 3 cups water + pinch salt + overnight on low = hard burnt crust on top, slimy thin watery (though nice) porridge underneath. Bleh.

Trying chilli at the moment:
    DSC00682a.JPG

And it doesn't take up much room on the counter either.
    DSC00681a.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't make the mistake of thinking that the sauce will reduce in a slow cooker, it won't.
    Whatever thickness of gravy/cooking liquid/sauce you are using will be the same come serving time.
    I thicken it as I make it,flour is fine as the raw taste is well gone after 8 hrs:D

Flour? In Chilli? Puh-lease.
    It's got a few spoons of Masa Harina in there :D:p

The chilli look great.
    If you're doing a stew in it slice the potatoes and put them in on the bottom, otherwise they don't soften enough.

The chilli worked really well. Beef mince, pork mince, fresh chillies, chilli powder, freshly ground and toasted cumin seeds, coriander leaf, garlic, onions, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, chipotle chillies in adobe sauce, beef stock, tinned chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, haricot beans, and two teaspoons of masa in the last hour. Total of four or five hours on high in the slow cooker.

Advertisement