Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Had accident. Now being fecked around

Options
  • 20-11-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Had a crash 3 weeks ago tomorrow. Car was written off. Had assesor out to examine car from the other persons insurance company. received letter saying how much they would pay out on car and where to go with car for scrappage. All going grand so far.

Now the problem is that up until today the other person had not sent back the accident report. tried ringing him last week texted him saturday and finally got to speak to him Monday. He said he'd post the form off that evening.

I rang his insurance company today and while the pr1ck sent the form back he left the accident section and the liability section blank!!!!!:mad:

His insurance company only contact his broker regarding this claim.

I am now going 3 weeks without a car and getting seriously pissed off!!!! what can i do to get this dealt with and get insurance cheque asap!!!

Have thought of getting a solicitor but imagine that the cost of that would probably take a good chunk out of the payout(only 3k)

Any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Assuming the other party is liable / assumable to be liable at this stage, are you not entitled to a hire car at his insurers costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

MYOB wrote: »
    Assuming the other party is liable / assumable to be liable at this stage, are you not entitled to a hire car at his insurers costs?

Technically yes, although only a vehicle in the same class as his former. It's likely OP would have to pay the bill/deposit and get reimbursed from the insurance company.

If you get a solicitor, the other insurance company have to pay them, assuming they are at fault. Usually a threat of a solicitor is enough to get them moving.

There's a clause in most policies that your insurer can accept liability on your behalf if they so wish - most insurance companies would do this in straight forward accidents without any kind of accident form being submitted. Put a bit of pressure on them or threaten a solicitor and hopefully it will come to a speedy resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Go through your own comp and let your own insurance company do the work. Car is fixed immediately .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seperate wrote: »
    Technically yes, although only a vehicle in the same class as his former. It's likely OP would have to pay the bill/deposit and get reimbursed from the insurance company.

I'm aware of the class thing, I tried arguing that my Italian styled hatchback was clearly of a class higher than a *sobs* MICRA... they agreed to pay for a more powerful Micra, not a bigger car. I can't fit in a sodding Micra comfortably....
    Seperate wrote: »
    There's a clause in most policies that your insurer can accept liability on your behalf if they so wish - most insurance companies would do this in straight forward accidents without any kind of accident form being submitted. Put a bit of pressure on them or threaten a solicitor and hopefully it will come to a speedy resolution.

This happened to my auld lad when the guy that rear-ended him stopped answering his phone to anyone, including the insurers. Well, more accurately, they refused to accept liability but paid out anyway. Took the threat of a solicitor too.

Advertisement