Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Imported vehicles new Requirements

Options
  • 20-11-2008 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Included in to-days finance bill:mad:

Following concerns about the number of cars being imported from Britain and Northern Ireland, the Bill will mean an NCT assessment must be carried out on such vehicles before they are registered in Ireland.

The Department says this is to ensure the cars are correctly registered, with the aim of reducing the number of vehicles that may be fitted with extras that are not currently declared.

In addition, vehicles brought into the State for more than 42 days will have to be temporarily registered in the State.

The Minister says he is responding to concerns from the motor industry in this regard and these measures are one element of an overall strategy to reduce the number of cars being imported to the detriment of the industry here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Can’t see the harm really, another hoop to jump through but if you are importing a car legit then you shouldn’t have a problem with these measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

If they want to reduce the amount of people importing cars they should cop on with the taxes they charge on cars here. Why do they think people go to the trouble of importing cars in the first place? And since people are going to all that trouble anyway, it's not really going to be that big of a deal having to do these one or two new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

I don't really understand the gov logic here:confused:. If people are making a saving by importing a car from the UK how will NCTing it before they register it put them off?
    The NCT is not setup to check the options on a car. I cannot see how there measures will put people off getting bargains in the UK

R Palmer wrote: »
    The Department says this is to ensure the cars are correctly registered, with the aim of reducing the number of vehicles that may be fitted with extras that are not currently declared.

they hate people to have anythin they dont know about :)
    lol

this isnt about safety or anythin, its about causing hassle for importing cars.
    Just to put people off.

Sure isnt it illegal to drive without an NCT already :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

they hate people to have anythin they dont know about :)
    lol

this isnt about safety or anythin, its about causing hassle for importing cars.
    Just to put people off.

Sure isnt it illegal to drive without an NCT already :confused:

Exactly, and i can see more hindrances like this coming in the future...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Following concerns about the number of cars being imported from Britain and Northern Ireland, the Bill will mean an NCT assessment must be carried out on such vehicles before they are registered in Ireland.

So you've to prove a car is roadworthy before you can legally drive it : where's the problem with that?

However, what are the chances of being able to NCT a car, and VRT it, within one working day???

At least they're honest about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 R Palmer

"In addition, vehicles brought into the State for more than 42 days will have to be temporarily registered in the State."

So the above means if you live in NI and visit your parents over the border twice a week which equals 96 days a year you need to temporarily register your car in the state.Or am i reading this wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

"In addition, vehicles brought into the State for more than 42 days will have to be temporarily registered in the State."

Yet another measure that is almost impossible to enforce. This Government is a joke, the outcry on crime, yet they want the Gardai to act as collectors for the revenue instead of dealing with crime, I hope the Gardai treat this measure with contempt it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

So the above means if you live in NI and visit your parents over the border twice a week which equals 96 days a year you need to temporarily register your car in the state.Or am i reading this wrong.
    I'd imagine it's 42 consecutive days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 EI-EAY

With waiting lists of up to 5 weeks in some NCT centres this will mean private importers will have to wait 5 weeks to drive their car. I wonder have SIMI been lobbying for this?? Wont matter half as much to dealers with TAN numbers who dont have to register straight away anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

How will NCTing the car help in the identification of optional extras? That doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm sure that's there reason to check over the car for any extra's. When does this come into effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But the NCT test doesn't list the spec of the cars, does it?

The NCT testers would need to know the spec of all cars in detail - what's included in a 3-Series SE vs ES spec vs an A4 SE spec? Does the car have SatNav? Is Rear PDC standard? - and then this information would need to be documented somewhere and fed to Revenue.

Is it do-able, am I missing something simple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

hahahahahah!!!! NCT for Spec??? seriously like?

ok first of all, some cars in the uk are higher specced as standard than Irish cars,
    second, say I arrive at the NCT with a TVR Tuscan, sure they won't know what make it is never mind what extras it has!!

its just bullsh1t to keep SIMI happy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

AudiChris wrote: »
    The NCT testers would need to know the spec of all cars in detail - what's included in a 3-Series SE vs ES spec vs an A4 SE spec?

and we all thought the VRO knew all this info already....how wrong we were..!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

An NCT on imports prior to registration is a cop out at introducing a proper vehicle certification agency , but then its no harm that imports are checked thoroughly prior to registration which is certainly not the case at present .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

Regarding a vehicle's roadworthiness, imports greater than four years old are supposed to get an NCT already, once they have been registered here. I'm not sure how strictly this is enforced. It has been assumed until now that vehicles less than four years old are roadworthy(same as Irish bought). It is already the job of the VRT assessor to check for extras and like others I can't see NCT assessors doing this. As far as I can see, the only reason for the change in law is purely to make life more difficult for anyone wanting to import, which has been partly admitted.

Checked the revenue website, says likely implementation date for changes is first half of 2010. Not top priority then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Ummmm i guess if you can't register the car it will have no reg for the NCT, so what will the NCT put on the cert?? the VIN??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

At €49 a test and with over 100,000 cars imported into the ROI each year it is alll about money and this will yield at least €4 million more. Remember we must all do our Fianna Fail patriotic duty, Remember these taxes are keeping those "poor"* craythurs the Public Servents and their special Unions in jobs.

*Poor Public Servent means anything between €40k to €50k a year with 6 weeks paid holidays and jobs for life plus €2/mile milage allowance plus fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I thought all vehicles were imported into Ireland. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

mumhaabu wrote: »
    At €49 a test and with over 100,000 cars imported into the ROI each year it is alll about money and this will yield at least €4 million more. Remember we must all do our Fianna Fail patriotic duty, Remember these taxes are keeping those "poor"* craythurs the Public Servents and their special Unions in jobs.

*Poor Public Servent means anything between €40k to €50k a year with 6 weeks paid holidays and jobs for life plus €2/mile milage allowance plus fuel.

You hit the nail on the head there, mumhaabu.But i can't see it just stopping at 49 euro, probably double that i'd say knowing the government.I can see an extra tax being put on UK imports in the future.VRT and some other stealth tax.This 'Import Nct' is just the start of money making for Biffo and his government circus pals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

Conor Faughnan was on the last word and he said that he presumed it would only apply to imported cars that were over 4 years old, said it would be mad to nct a 6month old car. Also said this was just an attempt to keep the trade happy.

Presumably thought it won't be an nct it will be a new type nct designed for imports they have a year to straighten it out. Surely would b easier and more efficient to tighten up the rules around the vrt assessor?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ddea wrote: »

Checked the revenue website, says likely implementation date for changes is first half of 2010. Not top priority then.

That's unfortunate.

I appreciate that importing used vehicles from the UK represents a significant saving to motorists compared to the prices of used vehicles on forecourts here in Ireland. However, this private importing is having a detrimental effect on the value of used cars here. As more and more vehicles are imported the value of used cars here is dropping all the while. This leaves dealers (both franchised and non-franchised) with stock that can only be moved at a loss and in some cases can't be moved at all. This will prevent dealers trading in 2009 leading to closures of garages across the country and consequential job losses. It will also make the cost to change to the customer a lot higher which will further stifle new car sales. It will take years to level out.

2009 will be a defining year in the future of the Irish motor industry, but I think the industry should be grateful that our cars aren't LHD.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

In all fairness, You would be paying for the extras when you buy the car never mind the Irish gov. sticking their snotty noses in and getting more money off you after what you've already paid. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

its hard to sympathise with the motor industry as they ripped people off for years. they were happy with vrt as it isolated them from competition in the uk. if there was a level playing field and we had similar tax rates to the uk, the price diff would be much less and far fewer people would bother buying abroad and they wouldnt be facing the mess they now seem to be in. it reminds me of the taxi drivers and their 80k plates some years back
    this move could well backfire on the govt as anyone stopped by customs or the cops can claim that they are waiting for an nct appt. the gov could not get away with claim a brit reg vehicle is unroadworthy if it has a valid mot. it seems to not have been well thought out. quelle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

xt40 wrote: »
    its hard to sympathise with the motor industry as they ripped people off for years.

In what way - by giving inflated values on used vehicles?
    they were happy with vrt as it isolated them from competition in the uk.

I don't ever remember the motor trade being happy with the VRT situation.
    if there was a level playing field and we had similar tax rates to the uk, the price diff would be much less and far fewer people would bother buying abroad

This isn't the UK........
    it reminds me of the taxi drivers and their 80k plates some years back

I'm not quite sure what you mean......

this move could well backfire on the govt as anyone stopped by customs or the cops can claim that they are waiting for an nct appt. the gov could not get away with claim a brit reg vehicle is unroadworthy if it has a valid mot.

Like I said, this isn't the UK. A valid MOT here is simply a piece of paper - nothing more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

isint the NCT linked to a registration number? if its NCT'd on trade plates or an english reg, does that mean you have to go back to the NCT to get new certs with the new reg plate on them after you register the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

If the cost was similar I'd still import a used UK car instead of buying one here in Ireland. The roads are much better over there and in general I think cars are in better condition. There's also a much greater choice.

We're supposed to be in the EU along with the UK, a common market FFS. Ireland got themselves into this predicament and the UK car industry are reaping the benefits through sales to Irish buyers. VRT is a joke....

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

crosstownk wrote: »
    by giving inflated values on used vehicles?
    is that really what you think.
    I don't ever remember the motor trade being happy with the VRT situation.
    got a link??

This isn't the UK........
    did you ever hear of this thing caalled the common market

Like I said, this isn't the UK. A valid MOT here is simply a piece of paper - nothing more.
    well, actually its not. its a valid legal document proving the roadworthiness of a vehicle which is issued by by an eu member state, and as long as a vehicle is uk registered, it is legally roadworthy in a at least any other eu country and probably worldwide.

no one questions uk
    driving licences
    birth certs
    passports
    etc
    etc
    theres no difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

In addition, vehicles brought into the State for more than 42 days will have to be temporarily registered in the State.

The Minister says he is responding to concerns from the motor industry in this regard and these measures are one element of an overall strategy to reduce the number of cars being imported to the detriment of the industry here.

Finally, its going to happen that all Non Nationals, who have their cars here for more than 42 days, will be given a temporary registration and will have to have proper insurance and not like the current situation, where there are thousands of non Irish registered cars around the country with no guarantee that they have insurance. Anytime any of these are involved in an accident, they just leave the car there and run, and let the injured party lie at the loss of damage, which can often run into thousands. So lets hope that Customs/Gardai will enforce the law in the same manner as they do with Irish Nationals.

Advertisement