Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Imported vehicles new Requirements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Humm...

Sounds like there could be a valid issue in relation to the EC treates (free movement of goods...)

look there is nothing much to worry about here

this is lip service really.

its already illegal to drive without an NCT - its to keep SIMI happy

New cars - whether bought in the UK or through an Irish garage pays VRT
    if you import a 2nd hand car from the UK you pay VRT - the govt prefer you pay VRT than buy a second hand car here and pay none!!!

The only thing is if they add some small extra charge to get a little bit more money out of us, not enough to prevent people importing but enough to help out their/our horrific public finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

maidhc wrote: »
    Humm...

Sounds like there could be a valid issue in relation to the EC treates (free movement of goods...)

...maybe so, but it certainly never deterred our Govt from measures in defiance of it...........VRT......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Surely an English MOT certificate could be viable proof that the car is road worthy?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Humm...

No more than the current VRT system.

• Advertisement

Feelgood wrote: »
    Surely an English MOT certificate could be viable proof that the car is road worthy?.

indeed. I always get a new MOT on anything I buy in the UK, in case of ..issues.......call it a 2nd opinion, if you will........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

anather joke....... Cant they just Fe*k OFF!

Just looking for anather way how to skin people, we allready paying so much for cars in this country, so they whant us to pay even more!

Thought this nct is more for preventing this: selling nissan silvia 2.0 turbo, non turbo in book.

Just looking for anather way how to skin people, we allready paying so much for cars in this country, so they whant us to pay even more!

Thought this nct is more for preventing this: selling nissan silvia 2.0 turbo, non turbo in book.

Ha! this from crowd that won't lift the carpet in your boot to inspect a spare wheel, or remove hubcaps? I don't frickin' think so ! Besides NCTS is a private company - they ain't going to take on 'extra work' without being paid for it !!

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

galwaytt wrote: »
    Besides NCTS is a private company - they ain't going to take on 'extra work' without being paid for it !!

and who do you think is going to pay for it? I guarantee there will be a fee involved for this prior to paying your VRT, so they will be gald of the extra business thrown their way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 tytlak

there seems to be a loophole in it

how to avoid vrt from 1st of Jan:

import a car from uk with mot and british road tax, get insurance, book a nct test

in dublin you need to wait 6 or 7 weeks for it , if you contact them 7 days before your test you can reschedule for another 6 weeks, and then again and again and again

if garda stop me with the car, just show them current booking date:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

exactly, a lot of us saw the tv prog on rte1, customs, so you can drive your freshly imported uk reg car over here with no need to VRT it as long as you have your document stating your NCT is in 6 or 7 weeks

and the customs lads are stuck then, to what? just say to you on your way?

def a loophole

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Jonny303

rigal wrote: »
    If the cost was similar I'd still import a used UK car instead of buying one here in Ireland. The roads are much better over there and in general I think cars are in better condition.

This ment to be a joke???

One word.......SALT!!

many cars coming over are ROTTEN with rust from salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Can you actually book an NCT for a car that hasn't yet been registered in Ireland? :confused:

I thought this wouldn't be possible until 2010 when the new rules will apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Great new system, will allow people to drive around on UK plates awaiting a test/restest date. Looks like someone who's car fails everytime could drive around with a restest notice indefinetely, eg come over with an M3 take out the tail light bulb each time, pay the NCT test fee every month or so, cheap and legal M3 without VRT ever, happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Jonny303 wrote: »

One word.......SALT!!

Obviously not meant to be a joke :rolleyes:

Think people over-egg the salt issue... Is salt not spread over here as well?

There's plenty of old cars on the roads over there so how can salt be such a serious issue?

Anyways, I'm thinking pot holes and general poor road surfaces. Surely that has a huge effect on suspension and the car in general? The reason why many Irish people don't want a Donegal reg used car. In short our roads are sh;te compared to the UK so surely that counts for something w.r.t general wear and tear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

We actually have the lowest priced cars in Europe but the highest level of tax which can be up to 66% of the retail price of a top end car.If the gov were to give a VRT refund on exported cars the flow of imports would be reversed and I can tell you it is not easy to register an imported car in the UK unlike here where all they seem to be interested in is the illegal VRT revenue reardless of where the import came from .

Can you actually book an NCT for a car that hasn't yet been registered in Ireland? :confused:

I thought this wouldn't be possible until 2010 when the new rules will apply.

You're right - you can't !

Not only that, even if it is registered, and taxed - you still can't !! This is because they don't have a link to the national vehicle database iirc, and they have to manually 'add' you to their system.

How do I know this? ....well it's 20 feet from me, right now, VRT'd, reg'd and taxed.......and still awaiting them to add me to the 'system'...

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

At least ......

"The fee shall be paid by the person presenting the vehicle concerned for pre-registration examination. The fee shall be credited against the vehicle registration tax payable in respect of the registration of the vehicle....."

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

This whole 42 days craic is a complete crock of poo.
    The EU will definitely tell them this is out of order.
    I'm back from 6 weeks holidays in another EU country, should I have been forced to register there and re-register and pay VRT again here? on an 08 car?
    free movement of Goods and people me hole.

If the NCT was introduced to comply with EU regulations, then any EU test (TuV or MOT) should be sufficient.

And all you have to do is tip on up the M1, N1 take the Carriccarnan exit, slow to 60kmh, then 30 mph then spin on back down, reset the clock.....

Or use any other border crossing...

I'd imagine the legal costs defending(and losing) this will easily be more than the tax take from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mumhaabu wrote: »

*Poor Public Servent means anything between €40k to €50k a year with 6 weeks paid holidays and jobs for life plus €2/mile milage allowance plus fuel.

???

the standard tax-free mileage rates are called 'civil service mileage rates' for a reason. Thats what they get, no more, and no fuel - the mileage rate is to cover fuel and depreciation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

No more than the current VRT system.

No VRT is very different, it applies to all cars equally, this appears to discriminate aganst imports. E.g. a 6 month old UK car appears to be subject to the test while an Irish one is not.

(i) In respect of a vehicle which is within any particular
    category of vehicle that is prescribed for
    the purposes of this paragraph or is within any
    other class of vehicle that is prescribed, the
    Commissioners may, as a condition of registration,
    require confirmation in accordance with
    this paragraph that such vehicle—
    (i) is a mechanically propelled vehicle as
    defined in section 130, and
    (ii) complies with any matter prescribed for the
    purposes of subparagraph (ii)(II).
    (ii) The Commissioners may appoint one or more
    than one individual or body (in this paragraph 15
    referred to as a ‘competent person’) to carry out
    a pre-registration examination of a vehicle to
    which subparagraph (i) relates—
    (I) to determine whether or not each vehicle
    duly examined under this paragraph is a
    mechanically propelled vehicle for the purposes
    of section 130, and
    (II) to ascertain whether or not such other prescribed
    matters (being matters required to
    be ascertained) have been complied with as
    are necessary—
    (A) for the registration of the vehicle concerned,
    and
    (B) for the proper operation of vehicle
    registration tax.

So we have a test to ascertain the matters to be ascertained so we know the car is a Motor Vehicle (as opposed to a donkey or something), and other "stuff".

How wonderfully obtuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

mumhaabu wrote: »
    At €49 a test and with over 100,000 cars imported into the ROI each year it is alll about money and this will yield at least €4 million more. Remember we must all do our Fianna Fail patriotic duty, Remember these taxes are keeping those "poor"* craythurs the Public Servents and their special Unions in jobs.

*Poor Public Servent means anything between €40k to €50k a year with 6 weeks paid holidays and jobs for life plus €2/mile milage allowance plus fuel.

this fee gets creditied against whatever vrt you end up paying
    O7Pat wrote: »
    Conor Faughnan was on the last word and he said that he presumed it would only apply to imported cars that were over 4 years old, said it would be mad to nct a 6month old car. Also said this was just an attempt to keep the trade happy.

Presumably thought it won't be an nct it will be a new type nct designed for imports they have a year to straighten it out. Surely would b easier and more efficient to tighten up the rules around the vrt assessor?

ya the nct is just a cover for the new vrt assessors - civil servants who don't actually have any car knowledge
    xt40 wrote: »
    its hard to sympathise with the motor industry as they ripped people off for years. they were happy with vrt as it isolated them from competition in the uk. if there was a level playing field and we had similar tax rates to the uk, the price diff would be much less and far fewer people would bother buying abroad and they wouldnt be facing the mess they now seem to be in. it reminds me of the taxi drivers and their 80k plates some years back
    this move could well backfire on the govt as anyone stopped by customs or the cops can claim that they are waiting for an nct appt. the gov could not get away with claim a brit reg vehicle is unroadworthy if it has a valid mot. it seems to not have been well thought out. quelle surprise.
    that first line is the total truth
    PanhardPL wrote: »
    Finally, its going to happen that all Non Nationals, who have their cars here for more than 42 days, will be given a temporary registration and will have to have proper insurance and not like the current situation, where there are thousands of non Irish registered cars around the country with no guarantee that they have insurance. Anytime any of these are involved in an accident, they just leave the car there and run, and let the injured party lie at the loss of damage, which can often run into thousands. So lets hope that Customs/Gardai will enforce the law in the same manner as they do with Irish Nationals.

we have an unmanned border, how could this be enforced????
    Humm...

that could be true.....
    otherwise put off and hassle anyforeigners visiting
    look there is nothing much to worry about here

this is lip service really.

its already illegal to drive without an NCT - its to keep SIMI happy

New cars - whether bought in the UK or through an Irish garage pays VRT
    if you import a 2nd hand car from the UK you pay VRT - the govt prefer you pay VRT than buy a second hand car here and pay none!!!

The only thing is if they add some small extra charge to get a little bit more money out of us, not enough to prevent people importing but enough to help out their/our horrific public finances.

ya basically
    Obviously not meant to be a joke :rolleyes:

Think people over-egg the salt issue... Is salt not spread over here as well?

There's plenty of old cars on the roads over there so how can salt be such a serious issue?

Anyways, I'm thinking pot holes and general poor road surfaces. Surely that has a huge effect on suspension and the car in general? The reason why many Irish people don't want a Donegal reg used car. In short our roads are sh;te compared to the UK so surely that counts for something w.r.t general wear and tear..

a little off topic but thats true, cars are ruined by our road conditions, i'd take salt over the wear and tear of irish roads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

EI-EAY wrote: »
    With waiting lists of up to 5 weeks in some NCT centres this will mean private importers will have to wait 5 weeks to drive their car. I wonder have SIMI been lobbying for this?? Wont matter half as much to dealers with TAN numbers who dont have to register straight away anyway.

I was waiting 7 weeks for an NCT in either Dundalk OR Drogheda earlier in the year. Madness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

So this means the 24 hour rule is gone? Will people be allowed to drive the car whle waiting for the NCT. What if the car is brand new, surely they don't expect a brand new car to be tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was waiting 7 weeks for an NCT in either Dundalk OR Drogheda earlier in the year. Madness...

Would it not have been easier to come down to Dublin in that case, and get it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The people at the VRO offices already supposed to check and make sure you are registering the correct car? If they can't tell a turbo from an non turbo car they shouldn't be doing the the job, oh wait their civil servants.
    Jonny303 wrote: »

One word.......SALT!!

I'd say if someone goes to the trouble of going over to the UK to buy a car they'll have a look underneath to check for rust or get an AA/RAC check done, which should really be done anyway. And most UK cars now come with 7+ years anti corrosion warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

IMPORTED second-hand vehicles are to be made the subject of a tough new crackdown after concerns about the number escaping tax.
    Finance Minister Brian Lenihan revealed that he had met many delegations from the Irish auto industry, "all on the one issue" -- the increasing number of so-called "yellow plates" on Irish roads.
    The name refers to vehicles bought in Britain or Northern Ireland, and simply driven over the border -- many of which are not registered here and thus not subject to car tax.
    A register is now to be set up for 'temporary vehicles' and will apply to all foreign-registered vehicles that remain in the State for a specified period.
    It is likely the limit will be set at 42 days, thus exempting people genuinely on month-long motoring holidays or other trips, for a period of six weeks.
    It is believed drivers have masqueraded as holidaymakers with gardai powerless to know how long the vehicle has been in the State.
    Irresponsible owner-drivers have also been able to operate with impunity, knowing that unless physically stopped by gardai, parking fines and fixed-camera speed notices will turn out to be dead letters.
    The new provisions mean that all second-hand vehicles that enter the State must be subject to a pre-registration check by the NCT as a condition of their registration. But these restrictions may not come into effect for more than a year.
    Mr Lenihan said it was a major problem that many second-hand vehicles were entering the State and being driven around on a permanent basis without being subject to registration.
    Improved
    Even where there was registration, many had extras or had been improved upon beyond the submitted original British documentation, meaning the vehicles were avoiding higher rates of tax.
    "Vehicles here for longer than 42 days will have to go on a temporary register," Mr Lenihan added. A lot of road traffic offences would then be applicable to the drivers, he explained.
    The minister said it was a common complaint of road safety agencies and bodies like the Society of the Irish Motor Industry that many yellow-plate vehicles were unroadworthy, yet they were not subject to the NCT.
    But it appears from the Finance Bill that set-up and logistical considerations mean the measures are unlikely to come into effect before the first half of next year. A target of mid-2010 is mentioned.
    Meanwhile, the Revenue will be able to raise estimated excise assessments in any case where they have reason to believe that a liability to excise duty, including VRT, has not been paid.
    Section 56 of the Bill amends the 1992 Finance Act to allow the Revenue to require pre-examination of vehicles as a condition of registration. The purpose of the exam is to establish particulars required to register the vehicle. This is aimed at making sure the yellow-plates are caught in the net.
    - Senan Molony Deputy Political Editor

Irish Independent Friday 20th Nov 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Being from the north and self employed I.T contractor that works between the north and dublin etc on 6 month projects whats the craic do i need to sign a form every time i come down here???

Im up home every weekend and down here during the week, does this make me exempt as technically im here for 5 days at a time or will they find a way to squeeze money out of legitimate business travellers to solve this self created epidemic??? yet another reason to not work down here, i dont envy the irish public right now your finance minister is totally devoid of a realistic pro-active strategy to take the country out of this disaster so he is taxing anything that moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Being from the north and self employed I.T contractor that works between the north and dublin etc on 6 month projects whats the craic do i need to sign a form every time i come down here???

Im up home every weekend and down here during the week, does this make me exempt as technically im here for 5 days at a time or will they find a way to squeeze money out of legitimate business travellers to solve this self created epidemic??? yet another reason to not work down here, i dont envy the irish public right now your finance minister is totally devoid of a realistic pro-active strategy to take the country out of this disaster so he is taxing anything that moves.

I'm sure our fantastic government will give you some sort of identifier so you will be marked as someone who has a genuine reasons to stay for long periods in both states

A yellow star maybe

Advertisement