Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Imported vehicles new Requirements

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ha! this from crowd that won't lift the carpet in your boot to inspect a spare wheel, or remove hubcaps? I don't frickin' think so ! Besides NCTS is a private company - they ain't going to take on 'extra work' without being paid for it !!

Your statement is not true, and you know it. The spare wheel isn't even part of the the NCT test for private cars, so what exactly are you on about?

Regarding hubcaps, I used to remove them for customers, but stopped doing that. The reason? Very simple, one cutsomer complained, that i damaged his shagging 5 € motor factors, cheap chinese plastic hubcap in the process.

Got a phone call from head office 5 min later about the complaint, the customer got a complete new set of hubcaps.....nuff said.

Same applies to alloy wheels, its very easy to damage the wheel or the center cap, scratches and stuff.

And is it really so complicated to take off your hubcaps before you bring in the car for its test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Well I suppose it would make sure that no written off cars make it on the roads here. Earlier in the year it was reported that a LOT of imported cars are write offs from the UK.. So I can see some logic behind this move.. presuming they are checking this also..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

so has any costs being mentioned for this pre test by the NCTS on the imported cars? Is it the same charge as the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

maidhc wrote: »
    Humm...

Sounds like there could be a valid issue in relation to the EC treates (free movement of goods...)
    I agree. I reckon there's no way the EU will let this get passed into law. Anyway, how on earth are they going to police it? They'll still come up against the same problems they have now with not being able to prove when a vehicle came into the state, and therefore have no reference date to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gooneradam

Humm...

Sounds like there could be a valid issue in relation to the EC treates (free movement of goods...)

Don't think the govt. will give a toss about that. VRT is already in essence in contradiction to the free movement of goods and services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rigal wrote: »
    Obviously not meant to be a joke :rolleyes:

Think people over-egg the salt issue... Is salt not spread over here as well?

Its not spread anywhere near as commonly as the UK. It doesn't freeze as often here (due to the rain...) and we usually use a grit rather than salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

gooneradam wrote: »
    VRT is already in essence in contradiction to the free movement of goods and services.

No, it isn't. This issue has been litigated to death in the ECJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

BostonB wrote: »
    Would it not have been easier to come down to Dublin in that case, and get it done?

No is the simple answer. :)
    I wasn't going to drive 100 miles to get an NCT done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

If you import a classic car over 30 yrs old you don't need a NCT but that doesn't mean they are safe to drive.

So this new government rule has nothing to do with safety but just to hassle us a bit more than normal and protect the car industry CARTEL that prevails in Ireland. The rotters:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

House wrote: »
    complaints by the Society of the Irish Motor Industry that many yellow-plate vehicles were unroadworthy

that has to be one of the most ridiculous lies ive ever read.
    the simi and all its members deserve to go the way of the titanic with this carry on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

xt40 wrote: »
    that has to be one of the most ridiculous lies ive ever read.
    the simi and all its members deserve to go the way of the titanic with this carry on

Yes I agree, considering Ireland was maybe the last member of the EU to bring in a car test system(NCT),. They have a bloody cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cosmo K wrote: »
    The spare wheel isn't even part of the the NCT test for private cars, so what exactly are you on about?......Regarding hubcaps, I used to remove them for customers, but stopped doing that.....

Time to read your own employers website, so:
    Paragraph 3, spare wheel...

Point No 4, here, hubcaps

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Yes I agree, considering Ireland was maybe the last member of the EU to bring in a car test system(NCT),. They have a bloody cheek.

But we had MOT before NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Skyuser wrote: »
    But we had MOT before NCT

There was no previous test for private vehicles in Ireland (aka Rep. of).
    There's a D.O.E. test has been around much longer than NCT but only for public and commercial vehicles.

MOT (Ministry Of Transport) tests are UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

From the NCT Manual

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

section 40, spare wheel
    1. Examine the spare wheel carrier, if fitted, for security of attachment to vehicle.
    2. Examine the mounting points and the structure of the carrier to see that they are free from fractures.
    3. If there is a spare wheel in the carrier check that this is securely held in the carrier.

@galwaytt

I know how to do my job, don't konw what your problem with the NCt is, and you are entitled to your opinion, but stop spreading BS!

Condition of the spare wheel is not part of the test for private cars. We only check the secure mounting of the spare wheel and carrier. The only reason to look under the boot floor carpet, is to check the boot for corrosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Cosmo K wrote: »
    From the NCT Manual

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

section 40, spare wheel

@galwaytt

I know how to do my job, don't konw what your problem with the NCt is, and you are entitled to your opinion, but stop spreading BS!

Condition of the spare wheel is not part of the test for private cars. We only check the secure mounting of the spare wheel and carrier. The only reason to look under the boot floor carpet, is to check the boot for corrosion.

thanks for the manual, makes interesing reading.

Don't take offence to comments from other board member, after all, we are all entitled to our own opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So will they be able to NCT on the chassis number?

No, it isn't. This issue has been litigated to death in the ECJ.

You sure about that?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0919/VRT.html

One case of a number, the others having all gone the other way. Notice its from over six years ago. Its not illegal, or else it would have been ordered to be abolished.

MYOB wrote: »
    Notice its from over six years ago.

No, it's not. It's from Sept 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Look again.

September 2002. At 20:07 (8:07pm)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 topcat2

Dermo123 wrote: »
    I don't really understand the gov logic here:confused:. If people are making a saving by importing a car from the UK how will NCTing it before they register it put them off?
    The NCT is not setup to check the options on a car. I cannot see how there measures will put people off getting bargains in the UK

this is just a token gesture to the motor trade and won't make a blind bit of difference, if your importing a car your going to have it NCT'd anyway whether your going to keep it or sell it on.

The market will dictate you can already see that its not worth your while goin over to England to pick up larger gas guzzelers, their cheaper here now. Although if sterling keeps goin the way it is the car trade will be for it here

Advertisement