Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I want to apply for driving lessons!

Options
  • 20-11-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I would like to apply for driving license, here in Ireland and i would like to know what would be the costs and the procedure what i have to do to apply for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Before you apply for any driving lessons you need to get a learners permit. You will need to sit a theory test for this and once this is passed you can choose a driving instructor or school and start lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

All the info you should need is here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭marelz2

Thanks!:)

And is there any driving school in Tipperary town?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

marelz2 wrote: »
    And is there any driving school in Tipperary town?
    Check your local Golden Pages (Classified Telephone Directory).

Just to clarify marelz2 - unlike some other countries, in Ireland, a driving 'school' does not mean a physical building where one goes to learn to drive. It is merely a term that many instructors use for their business.

If you have never driven before you may only apply for a Learner Permit in categories, A, A1, B, M or W.

Category B is the most common category - cars, small vans, 4x4s etc.

• Advertisement

Check your local Golden Pages (Classified Telephone Directory).

Just to clarify marelz2 - unlike some other countries, in Ireland, a driving 'school' does not mean a physical building where one goes to learn to drive. It is merely a term that many instructors use for their business.

If you have never driven before you may only apply for a Learner Permit in categories, A, A1, B, M or W.

Category B is the most common category - cars, small vans, 4x4s etc.

Thank you! But where i can apply for Learner permit? Approximately I know what i need to do, but i don't know where...

Thank you! But where i can apply for Learner permit? Approximately I know what i need to do, but i don't know where...
    You need to apply for a Theory Test first. www.dtts.ie. There are Theory Test centres in Clonmel and Nenagh as far as I know (presuming you are living in Co Tipperary).

When you have passed a Theory Test you can apply for a Learner Permit. These forms should be available at you local Garda (Police) Station or Motor Tax Office (MTO). The application should be sent back to your local MTO.

You need to apply for a Theory Test first. www.dtts.ie. There are Theory Test centres in Clonmel and Nenagh as far as I know (presuming you are living in Co Tipperary).

When you have passed a Theory Test you can apply for a Learner Permit. These forms should be available at you local Garda (Police) Station or Motor Tax Office (MTO). The application should be sent back to your local MTO.

OK let us say i have passed a theory test and got my Learner permit... What i have to do next? And what i can do with that permit?

In Latvia it is easier to apply for driving license, you just have to find a driving school and everything is on their shoulders, but to complete all tests and everything it can take a 6 moth sometimes more sometime less... How long it would be in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

after ya get your learner permit find a drivin school/insrtuctor and book lessons, it ciould take any lenght of time before the instructor deems u fut for the test, ya have to have ur learner permit for 6 months before applyin for the full test

guil07 wrote: »
    ya have to have ur learner permit for 6 months before applyin for the full test
    You can apply any time but one the day of the test you must have held the LP for 6 months. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

OK let us say i have passed a theory test and got my Learner permit... What i have to do next? And what i can do with that permit?

In Latvia it is easier to apply for driving license, you just have to find a driving school and everything is on their shoulders, but to complete all tests and everything it can take a 6 moth sometimes more sometime less... How long it would be in Ireland?
    All the info about a Learners permit is on here - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/provisional_driving_licence

And this is Ireland, So everything's on your shoulders. Once you have a Learners permit you can get driving lessons if you want to. You can get insurance if you already have a vehicle. If you're driving any car, you have to be accompanied by someone who has held a full drivers license in that category for atleast 2 years.

After 6 months of holding your learners permit, you are allowed to sit a driving test. If you pass, you get a certificate which allows you to apply for your full drivers license.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

You can apply any time but one the day of the test you must have held the LP for 6 months. ;)
    sorry thats what i meant

Thanks everybody you helped me a lot! Now i approximately know what to do! Finally everything is almost clear!

And last question just for the interest, how much approximately it would coast to me to get a drivers license?

And last question just for the interest, how much approximately it would coast to me to get a drivers license?
    It's impossible to know as everyone is different. Some pass the test without any lessons while others require many lessons. Good luck with it,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 budcans47

Hi if you go to the sport complex in town you find all the driving instructors you want, their is all ways one of them there. and if you were doing your test you will start from there as well... so best of luck...

Advertisement