Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Customs Annacotty Limerick?

Options
  • 20-11-2008 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Anyone have any idea what this is all about? Guys in High-Vis Vests stopping cars just after the Annacotty (Vistakon) roundabout (Dublin side) and asking Q's.

Had stopped a guy with yellow reg. plates when I was passing at short while ago?

Thanks in advance,

Raiser

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would just be a standard check/snare point to pick up VRT dodgers, very frequent in Dublin of a weekend of late.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^+1

Its happening around kerry too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I suppose somebody has to pay for medical cards for our pensioners, vaccinations against cervical cancer and welfare for disabled teens and.......and........:rolleyes:

* Edit - I thought they didn't actually have sufficient powers to stop you in traffic - are you not entitled to just wave at them and head onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Raiser wrote: »
    I suppose somebody has to pay for medical cards for our pensioners, vaccinations against cervical cancer and welfare for disabled teens and.......and........:rolleyes:

* Edit - I thought they didn't actually have sufficient powers to stop you in traffic - are you not entitled to just wave at them and head onwards?

Nope :D you do have to stop...

They were on the Tuam Road the last day, Had a guy in a BMW stopped...couldn't see any TV cameras around...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

They were in Gorey the other day,stopped an English Merc:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 maxedw

checkin for ppl using green diesel.Its alot cheaper than commercial stuff.

maxedw wrote: »

My nearest green diesel supplier is charging 99.9, I can get road diesel for 105.9 across the road from my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Hotwheels wrote: »
    Nope :D you do have to stop...

Anytime I came to a customs check it was the Gardaí who doing the stopping (diesels & foreign regs only), with the revenue guys busy in the sidelines.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

My mates passat is using green diesel and they didnt check for it at all when we passed thru.

MYOB wrote: »
    My nearest green diesel supplier is charging 99.9, I can get road diesel for 105.9 across the road from my house?

Thats a crazy price for green diesel. Every station around me sells green diesel, the cheapest being about 77cent and it would be cheaper again if you have a tank at home and get it delivered by one of the home heating oil companys.

Edit: I know this as we always fill a tank for the tractor not for use in the cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

My mates passat is using green diesel and they didnt check for it at all when we passed thru.

He probably had to change his trousers when he got home though. :D

Did think it was rather expensive but thats the price on the sign outside. Was 99.9 when diesel was over 1.40, still is now. Topaz in Kill.

Similarly E85 in my local Maxol was 99.9 at peak and still 99.9 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Raiser wrote: »

Customs have more powers than the Gardai. The Gardai afaik are usually there to observe that they are working within those powers especially if there is confrontation with members of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I`m changing over my car tomorrow in the VRT office in Limerick, Hope to **** I don`t get pulled driving in, that would be a stinger, only have the car since the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Clampdown on the Limerick gangsters.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

esel wrote: »
    Clampdown on the Limerick gangsters.

I doubt serious criminals like that are stupid enough to drive around on foreign plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »
    I doubt serious criminals like that are stupid enough to drive around on foreign plates?

Indeed and these gangs are being targeted by the CAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

unkel wrote: »

second time I heard was the reason, but why customs then, why not just the gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I was driving a petrol Range Rover (not mine :() during the summer and got held up. A real smart alec say's "we will now be taking a sample of your fuel blah blah blah" I say's no you won't and he got real thick with me.

I naturally wound him up more and he proceeded to dip the Range Rover and got his head honcho over to add the chemical only to realise I was running on Petrol. The boss was pissed and I explained I had being trying to tell him that for ages. I then proceeded to tell them f off and left laughing and the two customs officers rowing amonst themselves.

mumhaabu wrote: »
    I was driving a petrol Range Rover (not mine :() during the summer and got held up. A real smart alec say's "we will now be taking a sample of your fuel blah blah blah" I say's no you won't and he got real thick with me.

I similarly got flagged through a checkpoint cause the Customs guy didn't believe me the car was a diesel when he asked - Fiat Panda 1.3MJ. Clearly big = diesel and tiny = petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 maxedw

MYOB wrote: »

granted that's not much much of a price diff butI drove a truck/van for years and anytime I got stopped was to dip my tank check what I was runnin on.Maybe those guys who skim on illegal diesel aren't filling up at the local filling station ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

not any more!

Advertisement