Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 PhD and 2 Marathons in next 8 months pretty please!!

• 20-11-2008 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

Hoping this thread will help/inspire/motivate me along my way to completing Connemara and Paris in 2009. 18 week training schedule for the first one starts this week.

Gonna stick with Hal Higdon Novice 1 as it suits my routine etc. So this week is meant to be 3 x 3milers with a 6miler at the weekend. Trying to juggle that with some intense work deadlines at the moment, not easy.

Need to sort out when suits best to run - morning or night, and stick to it. As it is I come back to college in the evenings to study so my time is valuable.
    I need to get back to the gym too for some serious core strengthening. I hope I can manage to handle final stages of PhD with marathon training, I think if I get organised it is possible. the running is worth it for the stress relief.

Tue 18th Nov:
    3mile run @ 9.3min pace. Will get back to my sub 9min pace. Niggle in hip.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hi MarieC! You are not asking a lot of yourself are you?! Welcome to the most updated bunch of fitness logs I've seen and best of luck with the training and studying :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Best of luck. A point comes to mind that Pfitzinger mentions in Advanced Marathoning that is particularly relevant to you. He wrote that there is absolutely no reason why life should be getting in the way of scheduled training sessions - if life does get in the way of the sessions, then you're following the wrong plan and you need to go for a less intensive one.

I guess what it's recommending is to only take on board what you really feel you can achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck with your three goals, MarieC. Have you signed up for Paris already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Thanks for the encouragement!!

Signed up for Paris on Monday night so only just got in on time! Will take the training one week at a time, and your right Peckham, will bend and mould the programme to suit.

Thur Nov 20th:
    Stressed leaving college, needed punch-bag. Did 3miles @ 9.36min pace. 6 seconds slower than Tue but felt better. Run done, stress gone.

P.S - I like this training log already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Great to have another gang member in here - g'luck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

The very best Marie C in your goals for the first half of 2009. Your a brave one.
    The one great thing about setting yourself a spring goal (well you have 2 running wise) is that these short dark days should move by quickly. You can look forward to the beginning of nature life again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck MarieC. You've some great targets there. Its a tough proposition in one way training through the dark and cold days of winter, but its good to get the new year resolutions of running off the mark straight away. Personally I've trained for Conn for the last 4 years and the early year training was something I've come around to, even down to a few ticking over runs during Christmas :) You did well to get your registration in for Paris. The marathon there is a great experience.

Fri Nov 21st

3miles at 9.28min pace. Nice to see it creep slightly down in the right direction. Could feel hip at me a bit during run, bit of nausea also. Nausea whilst running seems to be something I just have to accept. Hip still sore today.

Im tired, have coldsore from stress and just in college now for the day. Taking today as rest day, 6miles tomorrow. Spirits actually fine even if energy levels a little low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭chatoon

Well done on training so far MarieC - keep it up! I've also started training for the Paris Marathon (it'll be my first!) and I'm finding energy a bit low too...about the hip pain, are you wearing orthotics? I got them and have never had hip pain since...highly recommend them. Enjoy the long run tomorrow, I'll be doing one myself...(I'm wondering now if I made a mistake signing up for Paris!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

They are some serious goals Marie, I'll look forward to reading your log as you get there. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Monday Nov 24th

After the last 2 days of rest I had a 6miler to make up from last weeks plan. My average pace for my three 3mile runs last week was 9.32min/miles. This evening was beautiful and crisp. I was like a giddy goat with excitement before my run :) I did the 6 this evening, felt alot better than last week and managed a pace of 8.97! lovely to be under the 9 again.

Hip was fine all day, feeling bit dodge now after run. Oh and IT band on left knee has decided to act up. Very sore going down stairs.

So plan is: alot of stretching tonight, nip into town tomorrow and get new runners (Asics Nimbus) and off I go. Only a gentle 3miler tomorrow evening.

Pain or no pain, tonight I love running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Great feeling isn't it! :D Well done..

Wed Nov 26th

Lovely 3 mile run this evening. Felt really good doing it. Fitness definitely coming back already. Ran it at 9min/mile pace. Being completely honest it was 9.05min/mile pace :rolleyes:

ITB and hip issues deffo related, have found a few stretches that are working a treat!

Thur Nov 27th

Id just left college to go home and wallow in my stress when 3 lads out running passed me and unknowingly made me turn around and go back to the gym from where I run. 3 miles in 27:50. felt great and that Id pushed myself so was surprised to see I ran at 9.27min pace.......

Still glad to have braved the temptation to go home, as well as the wind, rain, cold and darkness!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Hey MarieC, Well done with the training so far!

My experience with PhD/marathon at the same time was very positive. They seemed like crazy goals to run together, but for me it worked really well. Normally when I get very stressed and throw myself into things I loose my appetite and up the working hours, and let that vicious circle of spending all your time working but being unproductive kick in. When I was training for the marathon it forced me to take breaks form work for training, get adequate sleep and made me ensure I didn't skip meals or live (entirely) off junk food etc.

Wed Dec 3rd
    Was planning on getting big deadline done before Christmas but its gonna happen now due to things way beyond my control. V.frustrating cos running has been neglected since last week cos of it and now I havnt ran since Friday and deadline wont be done for Christmas!

Gonna run tomorrow.... Hate not running......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hey Marie don't worry too much about the running, you have a good fitness base from DM so just do enough to keep it topped up while you concentrate on the important stuff and in the new year you can go about setting new pbs and stuff. Well done so far

MarieC wrote: »
    Wed Dec 3rd
    Was planning on getting big deadline done before Christmas but its gonna happen now due to things way beyond my control. V.frustrating cos running has been neglected since last week cos of it and now I havnt ran since Friday and deadline wont be done for Christmas!

Gonna run tomorrow.... Hate not running......:(

Yep it feels awful when you haven't run in a few days. I'm not focussing on running and I still miss it if it goes more than a few days. I've been training well but now behind on studies which means I have to tip the balance the other way for a while.

Responsibilities! Ultimately you need to get the studies done, you have your whole life to run :)

Tue Dec 9th

Back to the gym this morning. Have'nt been there since start of DM 08 training.Updated my program and its now a lovely program concentrating entirely on core strengthening. Consists of leg raises, pavlov's twist, swiss twist, medicine ball crunches, captain crunches, press ups, arm wheel, and more but cant remember them.

Going to concentrate on gym for next week or two with a few runs sprinkled in. Gymming suits my daily routine more at the moment.

Tue Dec 9th

Back to the gym this morning. Have'nt been there since start of DM 08 training.Updated my program and its now a lovely program concentrating entirely on core strengthening. Consists of leg raises, pavlov's twist, swiss twist, medicine ball crunches, captain crunches, press ups, arm wheel, and more but cant remember them.

Going to concentrate on gym for next week or two with a few runs sprinkled in. Gymming suits my daily routine more at the moment.

Thought I saw you there last night, but when I went over to say Hi alas it was your lookalike!

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    Thought I saw you there last night, but when I went over to say Hi alas it was your lookalike!

Hehe! Im a morning gym person so you'll never see me there in the evening, too busy for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

No problem sticking with the sprinkled runs for the mo mariec.you've heaps of time to up the miles before the big day.18 week training programs etc can get very tedious and seem like a job at times.I'm in for the ultra again looking to beat this years time and i wont be getting serious til early jan?..its only running..a phd is far harder!!
    Dont be too hard on yourself..smile and enjoy the runs.
    You'll smash connemara!..:)

Tue Dec 9th

Ended up going for 3mile run this evenin with friend. Was a lovely evening for it. Did some nice fartlek spurts. Pushed her more than me but sure it all counts.
    Clock in gym not working so no idea of pace. doesnt matter once i ran and enjoyed it

Wed Dec 10th

Another morning gym session. Only day 2 of gym but really enjoying this program, nice and intense. Wont have access to the gym over Christmas so can switch back over to more running then.

Fri Dec 12th

Gym this morning for core work-out. Only day 3 of this program and already finding it easier. Lying leg curls not really working for me tho, need to find alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Fri Dec 12th

Gym this morning for core work-out. Only day 3 of this program and already finding it easier. Lying leg curls not really working for me tho, need to find alternative.

marieC, this might be an alternative. Looks simple but you'll feel it towards the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

That is why I don't do gym's. If I tried that I would break my neck!

Sat 13th Dec

Gym session again. Program tough but like it. Can already lengthen number of reps in each set and extend time for lateral and front bridges. Hope to do a few runs this week and plan then is the 4.3mile fun run then on Sunday!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Sat 13th Dec

Gym session again. Program tough but like it. Can already lengthen number of reps in each set and extend time for lateral and front bridges. Hope to do a few runs this week and plan then is the 4.3mile fun run then on Sunday!! :)

where's that race?

• Advertisement

Hi Zen monk, found out about it from post about limerick races over Xmas.
    If you go on to the main page of Limerick AC the details are there.

Its the route the mini-marathon used, 4.3miles sunday morning at 10:30, starting and finishing in UL.

Advertisement